PDA

View Full Version : If I own a bunch of G.I. 30 round mags from the 90's......

missiontrails
09-02-2009, 2:58 PM
....Can I legally use the in a bullet button equipped AR? Or, could I ONLY use them in a registered AW? I know featureless allows you to loose the BB, but can you mix "old" mags with "new" guns?

grammaton76
09-02-2009, 3:01 PM
NO. Using a large capacity magazine on ANY semi-auto, centerfire weapon with a bullet button (even if the rifle is featureless) renders it an assault weapon due to "fixed magazine over 10 rounds".

You can use them, but only on a featureless rifle WITHOUT a bullet button. A featureless rifle with a bullet button installed, with a large capacity magazine thus fixed in place, is an assault weapon. Stupid I know, but it's the law.

missiontrails
09-02-2009, 3:05 PM
NO. Using a large capacity magazine on ANY semi-auto, centerfire weapon with a bullet button (even if the rifle is featureless) renders it an assault weapon due to "fixed magazine over 10 rounds".

You can use them, but only on a featureless rifle WITHOUT a bullet button. A featureless rifle with a bullet button installed, with a large capacity magazine thus fixed in place, is an assault weapon. Stupid I know, but it's the law.

I figured as much... I found a bunch of ugly SOB G.I. mags that I bought from G.I. Joe's Surplus in the 90's.

stix213
09-02-2009, 3:07 PM
Bullet button regardless of features of the rifle with 11+ round mag = Assault weapon

Featureless WITHOUT BULLET BUTTON is fine
Registered assault weapon is fine (cause using them will make it an assault weapon, so you are already there)

hawk1
09-02-2009, 3:32 PM
Bullet button regardless of features of the rifle with 11+ round mag = Assault weapon

Featureless WITHOUT BULLET BUTTON is fine
Registered assault weapon is fine (cause using them will make it an assault weapon, so you are already there)

That's too funny...:p

Do you work for DOJ?...

POLICESTATE
09-02-2009, 3:34 PM
Hang onto them though, just bag em up and stash them somewhere. You never know when laws will change, get repealed, get overturned and you can use em here. Or if you move out at some point.

giarcpnw
09-02-2009, 3:38 PM
If you have a Kel-Tec SU-16 you can use em all day long.

Just saying.

domokun
09-02-2009, 3:46 PM
You can only use them on a featureless (non-BB'd) build or a CA DOJ registered assault weapon.

gunsnrovers
09-02-2009, 3:52 PM
I found a bunch of ugly SOB G.I. mags that I bought from G.I. Joe's Surplus in the 90's.

LOL. Most of the ones I got were from him too. Rusty, dinged up, bent lips, etc. Fugly stuff. All kinds of crap used to be found upstairs and down in that place. Haven't been there in almost 10 years. Have a garage full of old footlockers I got from him when they were all of $25 each with the tray. Makes for great storage.

I converted most of them over to PMags. I still have about a dozen really ratty ones left. Debating if I want to make more PMags or rebuild them with GI bits.

Got a bunch of M14 mags from him too, but I traded those away years ago for a boat load of 30-06 over at Mission Armory before they closed shop.

Darklyte27
09-02-2009, 3:54 PM
If you had a bunch of mags from the 90s, wouldnt you have a registered AW too?..

grammaton76
09-02-2009, 4:02 PM
If you had a bunch of mags from the 90s, wouldnt you have a registered AW too?..

A lot of folks sold their AW's rather than registering. Not all of them ditched their mags, as there was no registration.

hawk1
09-02-2009, 4:08 PM
You can only use them on a featureless (non-BB'd) build or a CA DOJ registered assault weapon.

You can also use them when you go out of state to shoot and they can legally return with you back into the state assembled.

gunsnrovers
09-02-2009, 4:10 PM

I bought a bunch of stuff in the 1990's. Mostly bought for trade fodder. Some stuff I kept and now have a use for.

vta
09-02-2009, 4:17 PM
You never know when laws will change, get repealed, get overturned and you can use em here.

fat chance. maybe in a 100 years when firearms are considered harmless as compared to ray guns.

Any reason why anyone would want a bullet button in a featureless?

Also is a prince 50 ok as compared to a bullet button if the allen screw is backed out at the moment?

Gator Monroe
09-02-2009, 4:31 PM
Use the CG Sticky guide to rivit AR highcaps into 10/30's and quit paying the cwaaazy prices vendors want for 10/20's & 10/30's ...

grammaton76
09-02-2009, 4:37 PM
Wow, that'd be a total waste of lawfully owned large capacity magazines... go featureless instead, or save 'em until you do. :)

Fate
09-02-2009, 4:46 PM

Not everyone registered. Some sold, some moved them out of state, some disassembled theirs (surpringly many didn't do anything and those guns are still lurking in closets/safes :eek: ).

Mine went to Texas before the ban rather than registering. Sometimes I second guess myself on that call, but what's done is done. I did enjoy bringing my boxes of magazines back into the state when I found out I could do that legally.

Featureless builds really aren't that horrible.

missiontrails
09-02-2009, 5:16 PM

Like a dumba!@ I sold them back then. Had a 20" Preban Colt Sporter National Match model, and a Springfield SAR8 completely pimped with HK91 furniture.

socomIInato
09-02-2009, 6:03 PM
:surrender:Like a dumba!@ I sold them back then.

:pinch::surrender:

bohoki
09-02-2009, 6:26 PM
if you have them you can use them in anything they fit as long as using them would not otherwise make your firearm an assault weapon(aka it becomes non-detachable)

aplinker
09-02-2009, 7:15 PM
Use the CG Sticky guide to rivit AR highcaps into 10/30's and quit paying the cwaaazy prices vendors want for 10/20's & 10/30's ...

Last I looked I saw one of our vendors with 10/30's for about $16.

Though you have these inane ideas of what prices should be, so I dunno what you're thinking....

Gator Monroe
09-02-2009, 7:34 PM
Last I looked I saw one of our vendors with 10/30's for about $16.

Though you have these inane ideas of what prices should be, so I dunno what you're thinking....

& OTHER VENDORS HAVE THEM FOR 26.00+ so I'm thinking that OOW should have complete barreled milsurp M16A1 uppers for $250.00 in GC and $275.00 in VGC , and by X-MAS CGN/KD lowers should be $179.00 otd. is that wrong ?

aplinker
09-02-2009, 7:40 PM
& OTHER VENDORS HAVE THEM FOR 26.00+ so I'm thinking that OOW should have complete barreled milsurp M16A1 uppers for $250.00 in GC and $275.00 in VGC , and by X-MAS CGN/KD lowers should be $179.00 otd. is that wrong ?

I think beer should cost a $1/6-pack, gas should be $0.10/gallon and 5.56x45 should be free (training for the civilian militia).

Is that wrong?

You can think whatever you want, but to expect it is wrong. It's called reality. You just deal with it.

Gator Monroe
09-02-2009, 7:48 PM
I think beer should cost a $1/6-pack, gas should be $0.10/gallon and 5.56x45 should be free (training for the civilian militia).

Is that wrong?

You can think whatever you want, but to expect it is wrong. It's called reality. You just deal with it.

My reality is a like new $250.00 OOW M16A1 Complete barreled upper on my under $600.00 Retro build finished recently & built up after Obama took office, and things are cheaper , (a lot cheaper) than you can immagine in some cases, and for you to poo poo this is strange , every guy likes a bargan as much as the next guy, and to buy a $10.00 Rivit tool & make some 10/30's up outta mags you forgot you had insted of runnin to a vendor is a good thing. (Especially if you have 15 mags , you just mod 5 and keep 10 original.).

aplinker
09-02-2009, 8:25 PM
My reality is a like new $250.00 OOW M16A1 Complete barreled upper on my under $600.00 Retro build finished recently & built up after Obama took office, and things are cheaper , (a lot cheaper) than you can immagine in some cases, and for you to poo poo this is strange , every guy likes a bargan as much as the next guy, and to buy a $10.00 Rivit tool & make some 10/30's up outta mags you forgot you had insted of runnin to a vendor is a good thing. (Especially if you have 15 mags , you just mod 5 and keep 10 original.).

sigh... the point is to endlessly rail on about how much you think things should cost is pretty useless to someone asking a completely different question.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a bargain - who doesn't? It's just unrealistic to consider bargains to be the "norm."

Gator Monroe
09-02-2009, 8:27 PM
sigh... the point is to endlessly rail on about how much you think things should cost is pretty useless to someone asking a completely different question.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a bargain - who doesn't? It's just unrealistic to consider bargains to be the "norm."

$200.00 lowers is not the norm .

aplinker
09-02-2009, 9:17 PM
$200.00 lowers is not the norm .

LOL

Dude, you crack me up. Calguns lowers are NOT just any lower.

Gator Monroe
09-03-2009, 7:35 AM
LOL

Dude, you crack me up. Calguns lowers are NOT just any lower.

LoL dude ,a Raiders/KD lower (Autographed by Fred Biletnikoff) is not worth 200.00 +tax & dros.

missiontrails
09-03-2009, 7:59 AM
LoL dude ,a Raiders/KD lower (Autographed by Fred Biletnikoff) is not worth 200.00 +tax & dros.

Agree. US Autoweapons in AZ has COMPLETE CMMG lowers w/telestock for $218 right now, and they ship to us all day long.... http://usautoweapons.com/pgs/AdditionalCatalogShowItem.php?ID=17562&PG=cat&q=

himurax13
09-03-2009, 8:16 AM
If you have a Kel-Tec SU-16 you can use em all day long.

Just saying.

The 1990 20/30 round magazines and "Rebuild" kits as well? :eek:

ar15barrels
09-03-2009, 8:58 AM

There's no reason to deal with reality when you can bich about it on the interwebs.