PDA

View Full Version : Legislation Would Overturn Ban On Hunting Mountain Lions

meltcom
03-29-2005, 7:12 PM
It's about time!

Legislation Would Overturn Ban On Hunting Mountain Lions
Bill Would Allow Hunters To Kill Up To 116 Mountain Lions A Year

POSTED: 4:05 pm PST March 29, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Lawmakers at the state Capitol Tuesday took up the issue of hunting mountain lions and a bill that would lift a 33-year-old ban on the sport.

On Tuesday, the Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee took up the bill from a Republican assemblyman that would allow hunters to kill up to 116 mountain lions a year. The goal, according to the bill, would be to control the growing mountain lion population.

The California Fish and Game Department would conduct an annual lottery for 116 hunting licenses -- the equivalent of two per county. It would also set up zones where the licenses could be used.

The sport of mountain lion hunting was first barred in 1972, then upheld by voters in 1990 through Proposition 117.

There have been 15 verified mountain lion attacks on humans in California since 1890, most recently on a Santa Monica jogger last June.

Currently, the department issues permits to kill lions that threaten life or property. Last year, more than 230 were issued, resulting in 115 kills.

meltcom
03-29-2005, 7:12 PM
It's about time!

Legislation Would Overturn Ban On Hunting Mountain Lions
Bill Would Allow Hunters To Kill Up To 116 Mountain Lions A Year

POSTED: 4:05 pm PST March 29, 2005

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Lawmakers at the state Capitol Tuesday took up the issue of hunting mountain lions and a bill that would lift a 33-year-old ban on the sport.

On Tuesday, the Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee took up the bill from a Republican assemblyman that would allow hunters to kill up to 116 mountain lions a year. The goal, according to the bill, would be to control the growing mountain lion population.

The California Fish and Game Department would conduct an annual lottery for 116 hunting licenses -- the equivalent of two per county. It would also set up zones where the licenses could be used.

The sport of mountain lion hunting was first barred in 1972, then upheld by voters in 1990 through Proposition 117.

There have been 15 verified mountain lion attacks on humans in California since 1890, most recently on a Santa Monica jogger last June.

Currently, the department issues permits to kill lions that threaten life or property. Last year, more than 230 were issued, resulting in 115 kills.

ivanimal
03-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Thats great news for the trophy hunter. I wont usually kill a large animal that I wont eat. Life in danger is always an exception.

walkerboh4269
03-30-2005, 9:47 AM
This is great news! Now I just hope it passes. Somehow though I don't think it will.

In the area I live we have had a few cats come down out of the hills recently. With the big fires from a year or two ago they can't find as much food in the hills. So they have been coming into town and get our pets.

As far as I am concerned with the ban on hunting these cats the have just shot up in population and there is not enough food for them all and thats why there have been more attacks on people lately.

04-18-2005, 2:01 PM
This is old news, but oh well...

It is good news, I suppose, but not in the sense that mountain cats are a widespread, dangerous threat to human life. I mean, 15 kills since 1890 (or even if that was supposed to be 1980), that's not epidemic by any means.

If the ban is lifted (and maybe it is now), then let it be for the right reasons. IOW, don't make it a public safety issue, as it clearly isn't that.

ivanimal
04-18-2005, 6:17 PM
Ever see a grizzly in CA?

It is extremly rare that brown bears kill or seriously injure humans but fatal encounters do happen. In Scandinavia there are only three known cases during the last 100 years where humans have been killed by bears. This has usually happened because the bear is injured or a human encounters a mother bear with cubs. Also, other types of bears, such as polar bears, are more likely to attack humans when searching for food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear

Why wait till they kill us? Its the american way!

icormba
04-19-2005, 1:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Two male tigers were found killed by brown bear in the year 2000."

DAMN!

04-22-2005, 1:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:
Ever see a grizzly in CA?

It is extremly rare that brown bears kill or seriously injure humans but fatal encounters do happen. In Scandinavia there are only three known cases during the last 100 years where humans have been killed by bears. This has usually happened because the bear is injured or a human encounters a mother bear with cubs. Also, other types of bears, such as polar bears, are more likely to attack humans when searching for food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No grizzlies {phew!}, but lot's of black bears.

However, save for one time as a kid, all the black bear I've ever seen have usually been on the run, thankfully, away from my position. I'm less worried about a bear attack, even on hikes in bear country, than I am worried about being involved in a car wreck on the way to go on that hike. It's an odds thing to me.

From my own experiences, most animals are naturally afraid of humans and from what I know, most can smell a human before a human can spot the critter so luckily so far, I've yet to be attacked by a bear, or mountain cat, or squirrel or killer bunny or whatever.
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Why wait till they kill us? Its the american way! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn straight!
Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

ivanimal
04-22-2005, 11:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Damn straight!
Kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out!
Wink </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it kills you to writ1e2 that!

04-24-2005, 1:12 PM

I know it kills you to writ1e2 that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On the contrary, it tickles me pink to sya it! {snicker]

I was even thinking that it would be a good idea (real unique too) for a tattoo or something.
That, and one that said "Mom" with the obligatory heart being pierced by a dagger. Reeeeall classy stuff.
http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif