PDA

View Full Version : Netbook - need your recommendations

smeatme
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
Looking to buy a Netbook for my non-techie mother. Looking for something reliable, easy to use, fast, not too big hard drive all for under $300.

Thanks, Cole.

BroncoBob
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Looking to buy a Netbook for my non-techie mother. Looking for something reliable, easy to use, fast, not too big hard drive all for under $300.

Thanks, Cole.

Check out your local AT&T store. I think they were like $199.00 with the package deal. Not really sure as I just glanced at them the other day.

ldivinag
09-02-2009, 11:47 AM
dont...

i have a 10" model and the screen IS REALLY too small...

get her a 14" or even a 15".

Bobula
09-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Check out your local AT&T store. I think they were like $199.00 with the package deal. Not really sure as I just glanced at them the other day.

That package deal involves a $50 a month air card.

I have a ASUS eee PC. Best money I've spent on a computer. 160 gb hard drive, intel atom proc, built in wireless N, 1 gig of ram. $288 shipped through b and H photography 5 months ago. Newegg or zipzoomfly.com usually have great deals.

jmlivingston
09-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Kestryll has an Acer and he's raved about it here a few times. I've also seen good reviews on both it and the later model Asus's (earlier ones had slower cpu, and tiny monitor).

If you decide you want an Acer, let me know via PM. I've got access to them through their distribution channel.

John

jammer2k
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I picked up a Dell Mini9 recently, it works great. I would recommend though that you don't upgrade the SSD via Dell but buy an aftermarket SSD for a fraction of the cost and about 4 times the performance. After spending 250 on the unit and another 100 on the drive I have a very fast and small computer for notes and whatnot in my classes

rimfire17
09-02-2009, 7:24 PM
Look for refurb deals on the Dell's or Acer's. You can often get them for less than $300. If you're willing to spend just a bit more, I recommend the Acer that Costco sells. I have one of them and it works quite well.

Nuuze
09-02-2009, 7:55 PM
I bought both the Acer One and Dell Mini 10. Like both! The Acer was $250 and the Dell was $350 at the time from Sams Club.

Gregchico
09-02-2009, 8:06 PM
I have an 9 inch ASUS with the SSD and hate it. It is way too slow to even surf on.
I recommend a real (cheap) laptop instead of a netbook.

supermario
09-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Walmart has the Acer for about $280. I have two of them for my daughters and they are great.

SmurfinTactical
09-03-2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks, Cole.

Ok first of all your not going to find a fast netbook, thats not what its for. They are for surfing the net, word documents etc, very simple single threaded applications. Now from my personal experience with them I would have to suggest either the HP line or the Acer line (HP and Acer are brands). Make sure you get the netbook with the N280 processor since it has a much longer battery life and its clocked sightly higher at 1.66ghz compared to the N270's 1.60ghz proc. I would not suggest a netbook for a non-techie, they also require an upgrade of ram which is simple enough for someone like me(Take into account now I build my own computers ) but for a non-techie it would be downright daunting.

But since your mother is not a techie I would actually suggest a laptop.

Since netbook screens are also rather small the norm screen size is 10.1 inches(thats measured diagonally btw) I would not suggest it for someone with bad eyesight.

Even better if your mom doesnt need a portable pc, just buy her a cheap desktop, I would suggest a desktop with an AMD proc because they are incredibly cost efficient.

tay
09-03-2009, 8:24 AM
I have an ACER Aspire One, 8.9" screen.

It is great for surfing and Office products (word, excel and etc...).

However, when my mother(65+) uses it, she complains about the screen being too small.

Costco has some larger screen netbooks. Bring her to look at them inorder to determine if the screen is big enough.

sorensen440
09-03-2009, 8:24 AM
I always just buy the cheapest laptop I can find (Usually frys) as I tend to drop them from time to time and have to buy a new one

Can'thavenuthingood
09-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Something to think on is the screen size and eysight.

I'll be 60 in January and these 17 inch screens are way too damn small, I picked up a 19 inch Acer LCD monitor and now I can enlarge the text size to something I can read. Now I get up to 12 words per screen shot:), a lot less scrolling.

I'd like to hook it up to my 47 inch Sammsung TV.

Vick

Super Spy
09-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't buy a netbook....my Mom got one, hated it, tiny screen, slow, so she returned it. Look for a good deal on a 13" or 14" Laptop with a real CPU and decent memory....Think about aging eyesight and a tiny screen...bad combo

sardaukar
09-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Bought the Acer Aspire One (D250) from Walmart recently for my wife. She loves that it's light and compact.

Before I gave it to her, I upgraded the RAM and installed Windows 7. While I wouldn't play games or watch HD movies on it, I think it's great for surfing the internet in bed and for traveling.

IsaacGlass
09-04-2009, 4:02 PM
If all she will be doing is email and suffering the web, get her a hackintosh. No virus, spyware and malware headaches.

artherd
09-04-2009, 4:47 PM
If all she will be doing is email and suffering the web, get her a hackintosh. No virus, spyware and malware headaches.

+1 macintosh / hackintosh FTW.

http://gizmodo.com/tag/hackintosh/

Blwnbwtie
09-06-2009, 6:19 PM
I picked one of the HP ones up for my boss. Those things are way to slow, if i was you i would just get one of the smaller laptops.

den888
09-08-2009, 9:35 AM
I have a Dell Mini 9 with Ubuntu and couldn't be happier.

Blackhawk556
09-14-2009, 9:44 PM

if you take bronco's advice make sure you tell your mom to get ready for the data service plan which is $60 per month but it is NOT unlimited internet usage. you are limited to 5gb of data

if you have any question about the plan let me know, i work for att

Blackhawk556
09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok first of all your not going to find a fast netbook, thats not what its for. They are for surfing the net, word documents etc, very simple single threaded applications. Now from my personal experience with them I would have to suggest either the HP line or the Acer line (HP and Acer are brands). Make sure you get the netbook with the N280 processor since it has a much longer battery life and its clocked sightly higher at 1.66ghz compared to the N270's 1.60ghz proc. I would not suggest a netbook for a non-techie, they also require an upgrade of ram which is simple enough for someone like me(Take into account now I build my own computers ) but for a non-techie it would be downright daunting.

But since your mother is not a techie I would actually suggest a laptop.

Since netbook screens are also rather small the norm screen size is 10.1 inches(thats measured diagonally btw) I would not suggest it for someone with bad eyesight.

Even better if your mom doesnt need a portable pc, just buy her a cheap desktop, I would suggest a desktop with an AMD proc because they are incredibly cost efficient.

yes what he said.

i bought my gf one of these for last christmas, she uses a lot for writing papers and SMALL stuff. make sure you get a 6cell battery. these things run a long long time