PDA

View Full Version : Heated Discussion on NCTimes.com

Skullster
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
North County Times .com published an article today online about some folks having coffee at their first open carry event. Anyway just a heads up they are quite a few folks bashing them and calling for gun bans etc. Just a heads up.

dantodd
09-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Might be helpful to include a link.

mgbebout
09-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Here's the article on nctimes.com

http://nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/article_7458254b-2c32-591e-8ef4-57f29cc09ed8.html

HondaMasterTech
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I read nothing of gun bans in the article. Actually, it seemed fair and balanced.

pullnshoot25
09-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I cannot wait until the day that 12031 goes away.

GuyW
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
I read nothing of gun bans in the article. Actually, it seemed fair and balanced.

Thread caption is "heated discussion" (about the article...)

sergeantrex
09-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Granny with the gun TOOO COOL ::cool:

8-Ball
09-02-2009, 12:05 PM

Click on the "Discussion" tab... the comments is where the OP is pointing...

radioman
09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I cannot wait until the day that 12031 goes away.

that was put into law by then gov Reagan, it may never go away...

dantodd
09-02-2009, 12:24 PM
that was put into law by then gov Reagan, it may never go away...

Why would it make a difference which governor signed the original bill?

Skullster
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM

It's the discussion after the article that talks about bans. The people reading the article think open carry people are wack jobs. Didn't post a link as I am new here and some forums ban the posting of links for future reference I will.

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/escondido/article_7458254b-2c32-591e-8ef4-57f29cc09ed8.html?mode=comments

dantodd
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
It's pretty amazing what a fair hearing the papers seem to be giving OCers in San Diego.

I also really like the idea of a bunch of folks with a few years of like experience doing this. When veterans and grandmas are carrying they are less likely to be branded nut jobs.

Most telling, to me, is Reaster's rationale for joining the Open Carry movement as spelled out in the last 2 paragraphs of the article:

"Reaster said being part of the group has restored the sense of patriotism and service he had as a member of the Navy.

"'You know what, I've got that feeling again,' Reaster said. 'And I find there's a lot of people here that feel the same as I do.'"

radioman
09-02-2009, 12:54 PM

a law is like a tree, the longer it stands the deeper the roots goes and the harder it is to take out, also to some reagan was a god and will not undo his will..

Sunwolf
09-02-2009, 1:23 PM
a law is like a tree, the longer it stands the deeper the roots goes and the harder it is to take out, also to some reagan was a god and will not undo his will..

Fire works really well on trees.

Crazed_SS
09-02-2009, 1:47 PM
Same thing here on signonsandiego (union tribune)

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/01/bn01guns-open-carry/

Meplat
09-02-2009, 1:53 PM
that was not vetoed by then gov Reagan, it may never go away...

Fixed it for ya.

Meplat
09-02-2009, 1:58 PM

Because you don't get many chances to bash Reagan any more, the guy is dead.

radioman
09-02-2009, 2:33 PM
Because you don't get many chances to bash Reagan any more, the guy is dead.

I was not bashing, I was pointing out a fact

radioman
09-02-2009, 2:35 PM
Fire works really well on trees.

Redwoods still grow after a fire!

radioman
09-02-2009, 2:36 PM
Fixed it for ya.

I did not use the word voted.

grammaton76
09-02-2009, 2:49 PM
To be honest, Reaster is probably the most "media-friendly" spokesman for open carry, of the current open carry community.

You've got the San Diego Minutemen, the SDOC group (which includes Nathan, Sam, and myself), and the Escondido guys. Alone among all of them, Gerald is older, and it's hard to make the argument that HE should "run away" (how fast can he run?) or "punch out" assailants rather than resorting to a gun. Notice how his entire group shown is on the older side? This is good; the only thing to make it better would be if he had substantial numbers of minorities. He already seems to have a fair number of women, at least judging by the news coverage.

Pelican
09-03-2009, 7:19 AM
Inspired by Pullnshoot!
http://escondido-open-carry.org/about_us.html

S. Todd
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, some rather juvenile 'gun nuts' are not helping our case over there. Name calling creates a negative public opinion of us. The ‘anti’ comments are so easy to refute logically, because they are so irrational and emotion-based. But if we call everyone a communist pinko er, liberal, we do look a little nutty…:TFH:

dantodd
09-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Unfortunately, some rather juvenile 'gun nuts' are not helping our case over there.

if we call everyone a communist pinko er, liberal, we do look a little nutty…:TFH:

Some of us are a little nutty ;)

CoinStar
09-03-2009, 12:55 PM
You've got the San Diego Minutemen, the SDOC group (which includes Nathan, Sam, and myself), and the Escondido guys.

Love him or hate him (and I'm not putting this out for debate), Schwilk's name is absolutely radioactive in the local press.

Being aligned in any manner with the SDMM, even just passing mention in an article, means that the press is able to conflate OCers to other things that aren't ideal for good PR. This is the sort of unintended fallout that sets back state gun owners at large.

grammaton76
09-03-2009, 1:10 PM
Love him or hate him (and I'm not putting this out for debate), Schwilk's name is absolutely radioactive in the local press.

Being aligned in any manner with the SDMM, even just passing mention in an article, means that the press is able to conflate OCers to other things that aren't ideal for good PR. This is the sort of unintended fallout that sets back state gun owners at large.

Yep, I'm absolutely aware of that. The rest of us in SD kind of twitched a bit when he started holding large scale events, given the radioactivity of their org.

As I said, Reaster is probably the best spokesman we can have, although I have to wonder what would've happened to him if he'd unholstered his weapon to show people WITHOUT news cameras rolling!

CoinStar
09-03-2009, 5:27 PM
As I said, Reaster is probably the best spokesman we can have...

Maybe.

But that's beside the greater point which is that the general public's reaction has been less than cuddly. If the whole concept behind these events is to "raise awareness" or whatnot, then judging by the reactions they're garnering, they aren't filling that role very well. Those who are on the fence regarding guns, the very people whom this is supposed to reach, aren't seeing the connection between advancing our rights and randomly showing up at Starbucks with a handgun in a holster. And there's a good reason for that disconnect too; there is no relevance in the act of doing it.

Besides all that, I've read the two articles about Reaster in the UT and his compelling reason for being out there ("exercising his 2A rights") is pretty vague. His impetus is purely philosophical and while that may work for us gun nuts, the general population is going to interpret that as wacky.

It shouldn't be any wonder why the press is having a field day with this.

ETA: Also, it's useful to note that both the SDUT and the NC Times are relatively conservative papers in their editorial aspects.