PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Pistol from out of state???

cal3gunner
09-02-2009, 12:17 AM

dantodd
09-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I did some reading and I think its good to go but wanted to ask.

Can someone that lives out of state, move to California and bring their AR15 pistol if they put on a bullet button and 10 round mag? If yes, do they have to register it and is there any problems if its already a functioning semi auto, not a single shot?

Yes, as long as the receiver is not on the "bad list." Even if the receiver is listed you could legally do it but would have a much greater than zero chance of having to do battle at some point, an expensive, possibly losing, battle.

Also, can someone from out of state sell a gun via PPT to a California resident while visiting California? I know you can't buy guns out of state unless you have them sent to a FFL in California, but can you sell guns when out of your home state as long as you obey that states laws?

Legally, there is nothing preventing a visitor from doing that. However; the DOJ computers will not allow it to be done. You can still sell it but it wouldn't be a PPT, it would be a standard transfer. The primary difference is that the fees charged for a standard transfer is un-regulated so an FFL can charge whatever he believes you will pay.

Short answer: Yes you can bring in a non-listed AR pistol and no you can't PPT your firearm at a California FFL.

alex00
09-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Also, can someone from out of state sell a gun via PPT to a California resident while visiting California? I know you can't buy guns out of state unless you have them sent to a FFL in California, but can you sell guns when out of your home state as long as you obey that states laws?

If they became a California resident they could sell you the gun in a PPT.

dantodd
09-02-2009, 12:32 AM
If they became a California resident they could sell you the gun in a PPT.

Or if they get a Cal ID card regardless of their residency status.

cal3gunner
09-02-2009, 9:11 AM
Good to know.

Thanks

bwiese
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Can someone that lives out of state, move to California and bring
their AR15 pistol if they put on a bullet button and 10 round mag?

Yup - provided the gun is not banned by name (i.e "Colt AR15" or on the Kasler list/11 CCR 5499).

If yes, do they have to register it and is there any problems
if its already a functioning semi auto, not a single shot?

People moving to California after 1/1/1998 are required to fill out a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report form, available on DOJ website - plus there's a $19 fee (maybe $19 per gun, can't remember).

Concerns over semiauto vs. single-shot status are only for CA residents trying to get one thru their FFL - such handguns either need to be Rostered or Roster-exempt (single shot).

If a person moving to CA gets nastiness from DOJ about trying to register a legally-configured AR pistol, we at CGF need to hear about it.