PDA

View Full Version : Whats your experience shooting Russian Brown Bear 223 out of an AR-15

vta
09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
This stuff is pretty cheap and in stock.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-232

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/AMM-232.jpg

Do you guys have any feed back on them shooting it out of an AR-15? mine is a stag lower and bcm upper. reviews seems pretty good on cheaperthandirt but I want to know if you guys have had any good or bad things to say about them. Sounds like it is dirty but I dont mind cleaning.

djleisure
09-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Yep, it's a little dirty, but no big deal. Buy it, shoot it, then clean your rifle! I'm pretty sure your BCM upper is a 1/7 twist, so it should be extra happy with the 62 grain.

jumbopanda
09-02-2009, 12:39 AM
It's loaded pretty mild so you might have short stroking with heavy buffers. I've had one stuck casing although it wasn't too hard to remove.

gregorylucas
09-02-2009, 7:12 AM
I've never had any problems shooting Bear or Wolf out of my AR's. They click and go boom!

Greg

fuegoslow
09-02-2009, 7:24 AM
Is this the lacquered casings? I have reservations about it gumming up my barrels. I can't speak from experience but from what I've heard, the heat from constant shooting can melt the lacquer and leave residue. But, like you said, if you don't mind cleaning... Have at it. Give us a range report. Pics?

Agro
09-02-2009, 8:19 AM
I've read tons of threads on AFRCOM where people say brown bear works fine. Clean your rifle after shooting it and you'll be good to go.

Don't buy anything from CTD though if you can avoid it.

reidnez
09-02-2009, 8:27 AM
All I'll say is that you can usually find silver bear (zinc-coated) or the more recent polymer-coated Wolf stuff for the same price as the lacquer-coated Brown Bear. I don't have personal experience with the lacquered stuff, but some people do report problems with it--especially if they try to switch to brass-cased ammo after firing a bunch of lacquered steel.

In any case, it shouldn't be that big of a deal to "de-gum" your chamber if it does present a problem. Chamber brush, solvent, and power drill ought to do the trick--it works on Mosins.

I put plenty of silver bear through my AR and had no problems whatsoever.

tomd1584
09-02-2009, 8:32 AM
I've shot it, with no problems. I run a H buffer and still ran smoothly. Like REIDNEZ said, if you can find silver or golden bear ammo, its about the same price and a little cleaner since its zinc and brass plated steel.

Be careful though, the bullets will stick to a magnet, so if the range you shoot at has restrictions this might be a no-no.

hawk1547
09-02-2009, 8:40 AM
I have fired thousands of rounds through my rifles and I have never had a single jam or miss-feed.Just make sure you got plenty of extra Hope's No.9 at your work-bench cause this ammo do get a bit dirty.Also if you order from here www.sportsmanguide.com, you get $10.00 off with this coupon...SG1165,good luck.

vta
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
thanks for the info! I bought 200 rds to play with and will let you guys know how it goes for me. they also have golden bear for $2 more per 20 rnds. i guess if cleaning gets too old I will just get those.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-214

are these prices pretty good for russian ammo? do you guys get them cheaper else where at low quantities?

Beelzy
09-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Argh!

Can't you find any other ammo that's not so polluting to the gun?

If you just plink and you don't care where the bullets go so much, go for it.

Of course, who really does that anymore? ;)

tomd1584
09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
thanks for the info! I bought 200 rds to play with and will let you guys know how it goes for me. they also have golden bear for $2 more per 20 rnds. i guess if cleaning gets too old I will just get those.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=AMM-214

are these prices pretty good for russian ammo? do you guys get them cheaper else where at low quantities?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php?manufacturers_id=20

its $28 for 100, and its only $9 for shipping.

EDIT: they dont have goldenbear in stock, but when they do its the same price. I bought 500 rounds for $149 i believe.

Gryff
09-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I shot the Bay Area Rifle Championships with this ammo. Not a single problem.

5hundo
09-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Whats your experience shooting Russian Brown Bear 223 out of an AR-15?

BAD!!! :mad:

Whats your experience shooting Russian Brown Bear 223 out of a BWK-92?

Acceptable... A few misfeeds and malfunctions but considering the price, not too bad...

vta
09-02-2009, 2:32 PM
Argh!

Can't you find any other ammo that's not so polluting to the gun?

If you just plink and you don't care where the bullets go so much, go for it.

Of course, who really does that anymore? ;)

could it be worse than shooting bulk ammo with a 22 conversion kit? :confused:

I am shooting mostly thru my irons within 200 yards at steel plates. i think it will be accurate enough. I dont mind cleaning it I just want to make sure they dont cause any damage to it.

vta
09-02-2009, 2:36 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php?manufacturers_id=20

its $28 for 100, and its only $9 for shipping.

EDIT: they dont have goldenbear in stock, but when they do its the same price. I bought 500 rounds for $149 i believe.

they do have silver bear in stock at $135 for 500 rnd! thanks for the link!

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/19/products_id/3403

vta
09-02-2009, 2:37 PM
BAD!!! :mad:

care to elaborate?

professorhard
09-02-2009, 2:40 PM

This

vta
09-02-2009, 2:47 PM

i have only bought once from them before. what was your experience?

stix213
09-02-2009, 2:57 PM
I don't have a gun that shoots the little bitty .223 rounds ;) so I can't speak to how well these shoot, but if you are looking for cheap aimsurplus has all your links beat with their Wolf MC at $5.19/box or $4.99/box with 25 box order. This is the place I usually buy my 7.62x39 at the lowest price I can find.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Wolf_Military_Classic_.223_55grn_FMJ.html

stix213
09-02-2009, 3:02 PM
i have only bought once from them before. what was your experience?

I have never had a problem with them and have made many orders through them before. Some people want to boycott them right now though cause they spearheaded the ammo price gouging to such a huge extent that it is hard to stomach allowing them to ever have another dollar again.

I personally saw the whole thing as a huge supply & demand issue that they certainly took advantage of, and am not holding a grudge, but others absolutely hate them for what they were doing and see them as pure evil.

professorhard
09-02-2009, 3:12 PM
I have never had a problem with them and have made many orders through them before. Some people want to boycott them right now though cause they spearheaded the ammo price gouging to such a huge extent that it is hard to stomach allowing them to ever have another dollar again.

I personally saw the whole thing as a huge supply & demand issue that they certainly took advantage of, and am not holding a grudge, but others absolutely hate them for what they were doing and see them as pure evil.

Also they are anti CA and will not ship many legal items here.

vta
09-02-2009, 3:15 PM

i noticed that too. they really jacked up their prices since last november. i am sort of ok with businesses charging more since they are just responding to supply issues and wanting to have items in stock to sell. My biggest beef is with the secondary reseller market like what is going on in the ammo sale forum of calguns. i dont really want to get people started on that since there are so many strong feelings. back to cheap ar-15 ammo talk!

stix213
09-02-2009, 4:09 PM
Also they are anti CA and will not ship many legal items here.

They will ship the ammo though, as long as you don't live in a few select counties, like Marin, San Francisco, and I think L.A.

vta
09-02-2009, 4:23 PM
ive got 200 rnds of brown bear coming from CTD and 500 rnds of silver bear coming from ammunitiontogo.com (thanks tomd1584). I will report back once I've shot them...