PDA

View Full Version : 1000' and schools?

Mstrty
09-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Is "Sunday school" meaning churches that teach children on Sunday about God a school as defined by "Gun free School Zone" Also how does k-12 Schools on Church property where there is no or little signage showing it as a school. How about my neighbors "Day Care Learning Center"? Or is it just locations that have the yellow triangle school crossing signs?

Librarian
09-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Is "Sunday school" meaning churches that teach children on Sunday about God a school as defined by "Gun free School Zone" Also how does k-12 Schools on Church property where there is no or little signage showing it as a school. How about my neighbors "Day Care Learning Center"? Or is it just locations that have the yellow triangle school crossing signs?

I'd say "Sunday school" no, unless it is held on property where there is a regular school.

Law says (e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall
apply:
(1) "School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, a
public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten
or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000
feet from the grounds of the public or private school.
and (k) This section does not require that notice be posted
regarding the proscribed conduct.
so pretty much any school that covers k-12, and you're on your own figuring out where they are.

Nice, eh? (Answer: NO.)

Mstrty
09-01-2009, 11:39 PM
I'd say "Sunday school" no, unless it is held on property where there is a regular school.

Law says
and so pretty much any school that covers k-12, and you're on your own figuring out where they are.

Nice, eh? (Answer: NO.)

Could you define inclusive as it pertains to this section. I'm no lawyer.

(e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall
apply:

dantodd
09-01-2009, 11:43 PM
it means including 1 and 12, as opposed to exclusive which would mean only 2-11.

kf6tac
09-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Could you define inclusive as it pertains to this section. I'm no lawyer.

(e) As used in this section, the following definitions shall
apply:

I think it means that when the statute refers to "grades 1 to 12," that includes grade 1 and grade 12. In math terms (if that's helpful to anyone), it's [1, 12] as opposed to (1, 12).

Mstrty
09-01-2009, 11:50 PM
it means including 1 and 12, as opposed to exclusive which would mean only 2-11.

That what I though.
I take my son to a math masters program that is right at a major interchange on I-80 easily within 1000' of the freeway exit. They clearly teach math to children K-12 is that a school? How is that any different from a "Sunday school teaching program"? or am I just splitting hairs?

dantodd
09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
A tutoring program is NOT a school. I suspect a plain language definition would be a school which is state recognized. A quick google says that this requires the filing of a "Private School Affidavit." The slightly scary part of this definition is that it includes all home schooling families as well as formal private schools. I would hope that at the very least one cannot be "reasonably expected" to know about local home schools wrt GFSZ violations.

pullnshoot25
09-02-2009, 5:51 AM
If the education is compulsory (K-12) then it is a no-go. Preschools, universities/colleges, tutoring centers, strip tease classes, etc. are NOT 626.9 issues.

8-Ball
09-02-2009, 6:33 AM
strip tease classes, etc. are NOT 626.9 issues.

excellent clarification... thanks...