PDA

View Full Version : tactical remington 1100

StrangeBrew
02-15-2005, 7:05 PM
Hello, i have an old model 1100 remington shotgun and wanted to turn in into a tactical shotgun, anyways i was wondering if anyone could tell me where to get some good accessories for it. I want to extend the magazine, add a tactical stock, and install a 21 inch barrel. Also are there any aftermarket barrels for the remington 1100 that are semi cheap?

Also I was worried about the laws here in california, would it even be legal for me to put on a stock with a pistol grip, and magazine extension tube?

I decided to move this topic to general discusion because i need an answer soon, as i will be unable to access a comp for the next few days.

Thanks

StrangeBrew
02-15-2005, 7:05 PM
Hello, i have an old model 1100 remington shotgun and wanted to turn in into a tactical shotgun, anyways i was wondering if anyone could tell me where to get some good accessories for it. I want to extend the magazine, add a tactical stock, and install a 21 inch barrel. Also are there any aftermarket barrels for the remington 1100 that are semi cheap?

Also I was worried about the laws here in california, would it even be legal for me to put on a stock with a pistol grip, and magazine extension tube?

I decided to move this topic to general discusion because i need an answer soon, as i will be unable to access a comp for the next few days.

Thanks

dwtt
02-15-2005, 7:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StrangeBrew:

Thanks <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can put a pistol grip on the 1100. You can also put a magazine extension on it and get a shorter barrel. I wouldn't do it to my 1100, but that's just my preference.

Turbinator
02-15-2005, 8:20 PM
A question from the uninformed - I thought autoloading shotguns with a pistol grip had a magazine size restriction?

Perhaps a more enlightened individual can set us straight?

Turby

StrangeBrew
02-15-2005, 8:23 PM
Well i cant find a 21" barrel under $200 so i might just drop this project. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Mike Searson
02-15-2005, 8:29 PM
From the DOJ Assault Weapon Guide:

Shotguns
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or
vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

Obviously they were on day 4 of a raw tofu binge or they would have made this a hell of a lot more strict!

Technical Ted
02-15-2005, 8:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StrangeBrew:
Well i cant find a 21" barrel under $200 so i might just drop this project. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Occasionally CDNN has used barrels for sale.

How long is the current barrel? If it's longer you could have it cut down...besides most "tactical" shotguns have an 18.5" barrel.

Mike Searson
02-15-2005, 8:33 PM
I got my 21" bbl for my 1100 through Brownells for $135-$165

You may find a used one on one of the auction sites...you can even sell your current bbl to finance the new one.

Mine has 21" bbl, Remchoke, rifle sights, magazine extension for 7 rounds, Sidesaddle shell carrier, Surefire Forend w 6 V weaponlight, Choate pistolgrip stock with ATI shell holder, sling, and a combat bolt handle.

A very sweet and accurate fighting shotgun...and fully California legal!

Technical Ted
02-15-2005, 8:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Searson:
You may find a used one on one of the auction sites...you can even sell your current bbl to finance the new one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
E-bay has a few barrels:
http://search.ebay.com/Remington-1100_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

StrangeBrew
02-15-2005, 8:57 PM
unfortunatly none has a 21" bbl. I guess ill just have to keep my eyes open for a good deal. Thanks again for the info.

If you know anyone selling a 21" bbl for a remington 1100 let me know. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

StrangeBrew
02-15-2005, 9:22 PM
i hear the remington 1100 will not fire properly with anything less then a 21" barrel. I am guessing this has to do this the gas system. Anyways the reason i dont want to cut down the barrel is because it is my uncles and i am not sure he would like that, but i think i will ask him just incase he agrees, that way i will save 150 dollars.

dwtt
02-15-2005, 9:37 PM
i hear the remington 1100 will not fire properly with anything less then a 21" barrel. I am guessing this has to do this the gas system. Anyways the reason i dont want to cut down the barrel is because it is my uncles and i am not sure he would like that, but i think i will ask him just incase he agrees, that way i will save 150 dollars. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why put on a short barrel? I never knew the motivation to do this. My 1100 has a 28" barrel and it works just fine. I put a 7-shot magazine extension on, installed a side saddle, install sling mounts, and went to shoot 3-gun. My shotgun was the only one like it in the whole match, but it was able to hit steel targets at 100 yards with slugs while everyone else who had tactical shotguns with short barrels were taking 3-5 slugs to hit the steel. Some even shot off all their slugs and still missed the steel. If you want to go for the looks, then that's OK, but if you intend to shoot at more than short range, then I think a short barrel is a mistake.

Mike Searson
02-15-2005, 9:38 PM
cabellas has them for $159
te 21-0864 order code 018

02-15-2005, 10:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Technical Ted:

If it's longer you could have it cut down...besides most "tactical" shotguns have an 18.5" barrel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree.
I tried to get "tactical" with my Mossy 590 Mariner, and I kept getting caught between the door jambs and tripping all over that 20" barrel.
However, with my 870 Express, I can gently glide from room to room for "tactical" sweeps of the house, clearing errant dogs from furniture where they don't belong.

shooterx10
02-16-2005, 9:13 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shooterx10/P1010257.jpg

The Remington 1100 in the pic used to have a pistol grip but I replaced it with the factory stock.

If you're going to use it for 3-gun, get the 21" barrel with RemChokes. For home defense, an open choke is fine.

HEWA195@CS.COM
02-20-2005, 12:40 AM
A couple of things to keep in mind ,or you will have a jam-a-matic as the smith I worked with called 1100's. The trigger group needs to be cleaned just like the rest of the gun. If you do not pull it,clean,and oil it they will wear out. They also have a tendancy to break the recoil forks. Keep a spare handy.We worked on alot of 1100's used in trap shooting. The 1100's do not have a gas adjuster or self adjusting gas system. The size of the ports in the barrel are set for a particular loading. Get too far from that load and you will have cycling problems. If it won't cycle with a short barrel/load combo you adjust the load ,or open up the ports to a larger size.You can still find used barrels at gun shows and other places for $50-$100. Sometimes less ,if it is rusty or otherwise beauty challenged. Find a cheap barrel with a bulge at the muzzle ,and cut it down. We did this in the shop quite often.If I dig through the barrel pile I may even find one.

StrangeBrew
02-20-2005, 9:21 AM
thanks for the information, I do not know much at all about shotguns, the 1100 is the only shotgun i have and i got it recently from a family member whos had it for at least 30 years. I had to clean the crap out of it when i got it, so i imagine that some of the parts might be worn out.

I am thinking about bringing it to a gunsmith to just inspect it and look for worn out parts. If you find a barrel that you would sell, just send me a private messege.

thanks again