PDA

View Full Version : wireless Router question

JTecalo
09-01-2009, 9:31 PM
I've been away from the It stuff for a couple of years now so I thought you guys might steer me to a decent wireless router for my home setup.

My setup now is an ATT 6800g and works fine but is 4-5 years old.

My reason for changing is I need a router I can lock out certain computers on the network for certain hours of the day or night.

The ATT 6800 will lock the computers mac addr but it's either on or off.

I'd like to be able to block internet from say 12:01am to 9:00am.

I'd also like to have 1Gb ports on the router as everything except my laptop is cabled.

just need some suggestions, thanks

DiscoBayJoe
09-01-2009, 9:41 PM
Time of Day Routing:

http://bookofjoe.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/259662zz.jpg

JTecalo
09-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Time of Day Routing:

http://bookofjoe.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/259662zz.jpg

Ha that would take me out too. :D

Gryff
09-02-2009, 1:05 AM
I've used Linksys routers for many years. They don't last forever, but their config software gives a fair set of consumer-level options. I'm able to lock out certain computers at certain times of day very easily.

artherd
09-02-2009, 2:16 AM
Netscreen 5GT Wireless FTW. Enterprise reliability in a home/office device.

Every dam Linksys I've ever used has required a reset about once a month. Not the Netscreen.

odysseus
09-02-2009, 2:40 AM
Not sure about Juniper's netscreen being able to, nor many other SOHO firewall solutions having this level of granularity you are asking for. I have certainly seen this on more enterprise level policy devices like for instance Websense or Cisco. You are essentially asking for a policy driven solution which selects users and\or systems to lock out of the network for a specific period of time - however you want them working locally or not at all? Assuming windows is being used and a domain, you should look into configuring a GPO, or you could get creative with a system level script to the network soft interface.

That or heck, yeah a 110v light timer on their network switch. LOL.

thempopresense
09-02-2009, 7:45 AM
See if you can upgrade to DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com) firmware, it has some good access restriction setups.

sfwdiy
09-02-2009, 2:22 PM

Every dam Linksys I've ever used has required a reset about once a month. Not the Netscreen.

That looks like a nice router. Dunno if it can restrict access by MAC address according to time of day, though. Didn't look like it had Gig-E ports, either.

--B

JTecalo
09-02-2009, 4:19 PM

I like the linksys but you're right about resetting them. I had several client service calls to reset linksys routers.

I don't have to have wireless, it's not a deal breaker.

I always thought 10/100 router and switches would be plenty of bandwidth but my 2 boys are playing some online games that seem to be sucking up the bandwith.

Maybe my router is tired, but if I replace it I think it should be one with gig ports. I'll need to replace the 2 Linksys switch/hubs also.

the_natterjack
09-02-2009, 5:19 PM
Here ya go. . .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394

Look at the "net user" command with the syntax "/time".

The computer can be running but no longer has access to the network during the off hours.

I setup my neighbors computer the same way. His sweet little girl was sneaking online at all hours of the night. Ended the problem without any family drama.

Brian "The Natterjack"

I've been away from the It stuff for a couple of years now so I thought you guys might steer me to a decent wireless router for my home setup.

My setup now is an ATT 6800g and works fine but is 4-5 years old.

My reason for changing is I need a router I can lock out certain computers on the network for certain hours of the day or night.

The ATT 6800 will lock the computers mac addr but it's either on or off.

I'd like to be able to block internet from say 12:01am to 9:00am.

I'd also like to have 1Gb ports on the router as everything except my laptop is cabled.

just need some suggestions, thanks

armygunsmith
09-02-2009, 5:30 PM
+1 for DD-WRT. Turns a 60 dollar router into a 400 dollar router. I use it for my budget customers

JTecalo
09-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Here ya go. . .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251394

Look at the "net user" command with the syntax "/time".

The computer can be running but no longer has access to the network during the off hours.

I setup my neighbors computer the same way. His sweet little girl was sneaking online at all hours of the night. Ended the problem without any family drama.

Brian "The Natterjack"

Oh man now I really feel dumb, I've used that before, just not for timing.

I'll try it.

I'm still thinking I may get a new router.

Thanks for the input guys

the_natterjack
09-03-2009, 4:03 PM
Oh man now I really feel dumb, I've used that before, just not for timing.

I'll try it.

I'm still thinking I may get a new router.

Thanks for the input guys

No problems, now you have one less variable when your searching for a router.

I'm thinking about doing the same for my household computer. Add another layer of security.

Brian "the natterjack"

JDay
09-10-2009, 5:02 AM
I like the linksys but you're right about resetting them. I had several client service calls to reset linksys routers.

I don't have to have wireless, it's not a deal breaker.

I always thought 10/100 router and switches would be plenty of bandwidth but my 2 boys are playing some online games that seem to be sucking up the bandwith.

Maybe my router is tired, but if I replace it I think it should be one with gig ports. I'll need to replace the 2 Linksys switch/hubs also.

Switching to gigE is not going to give you more internet bandwidth unless your internet connection is over 100mbit (not a chance).

Nobama4us
09-10-2009, 7:00 AM

the 5GT is EOL, you want the SSG series, multiple wifi essid's, more filtering and rules than you can shake a stick at. sorry for the crap-tacular picture.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32715&stc=1&d=1252591157

artherd
09-10-2009, 2:55 PM
the 5GT is EOL, you want the SSG series, multiple wifi essid's, more filtering and rules than you can shake a stick at. sorry for the crap-tacular picture.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32715&stc=1&d=1252591157

True, but even the old azz 5GT is 100x the router any linksys will ever be. :)

It's almost too good, I have my wifi and Wlan on two separate subnets now. I don't even need that and can't figure out how to dumb it down.

Nobama4us
09-10-2009, 7:30 PM
speaking of old azz ****, I still have that 2948 waiting for you to pick it up :yes:

DiscoBayJoe
09-10-2009, 7:35 PM
A Cisco 1811 is a great home access device for someone who likes to get intimate with their gear. 8 Ports of FE + 2 WAN and WiFi.

Fullblown Advanced IP Services IOS so it's a swiss army device.

I've got mine setup with a SSID/VLAN for guest access, a SSID/VLAN for my personal gear (TiVo and WebCam), and a SSID/VLan that is a DMVPN to the office.

They should start popping up cheap 2nd hand since they are only A/B/G and N + Gig is the hot shiz.

Cos
09-13-2009, 12:02 PM
From the years of personal experience:
- WRT54GL ($60) w/ Tomato firmware.

You'll get yourself a procumer router with QoS and other professional features. Very stable too!