PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Lenovo customer service

Can'thavenuthingood
09-01-2009, 6:53 PM
:thumbsup:

About 3 weeks ago my wifes Lenovo ThinkCentre model A55, type 8705 CTO decided it was time to act up.

Bought it last December 2008 so it was still within the 1 year warranty. At first I thought it was the Windows Vista Home Basic acting up as I've heard horror stories about it.

It would arbitrarily restart or just stop and stare at ya. Then it came out and said it was missing the ntkrnlpa.exe.
Then it would go into a loop of restarting until I shut it down by cutting power.
Next up was the safe mode or start win normally screen and it would go into a loop.

No floppy on this model, only the DVD and USB ports.

I called customer support on Sunday and was hooked right up to a genuine english speaking guy named Darrel in Atlanta, Georgia. We went through the litany of F1, F11 and F10 buttons. Many restarts.
He decided he needed to send the recovery disks, within a few days they arrived and I attempted to install but no go.

I called them back and got Eric on the phone and we went through it all again with no positive results. Darrell got on the line and we went through it all again adjusting the 'boot start' sequence and checking everything.

He started looking at the recovery disks vs my computer and determined we needed the 'other' version of recovery disks, there is 3 disks used to recover the Lenovo, some have a 4th. He said when I get these disks don't do anything, just call and we'll go through the process.

I waited a couple days and the new disks came in and Sunday I called and got a different guy on the line that also spoke english. He wasn't familiar with the problems but came up to speed quite fast as the previous guys working with me obviously took detailed notes he was reading and verifying with me.

We checked the system, started with disk 1 and it wouldn't go, tried it a few times and no go.
He asked if I was comfortable with going into the computer's innards, sure no problem.
He said the problem was a bad Memory stick, that I have 2 in this machine and I should pull one out and see if it makes a difference. If not, put it in and pull the other one. Okay.

I pulled one and then the computer accepted the recovery disk and I was on the road. Once it took the Win Vista disk he said follow on screen instructions and if any problems call back. He was going to send another Memory stick out and it'll be here in a few days.

I loaded it all up and it works fine with one stick ram. Today the 2nd stick came in the mail like he said it would. I installed it and all is well again.

We had 2 backup disks made previously so we lost nothing file wise but time.

Hats off to Lenovo Customer service support back there in Atlanta, Georgia.
Three guys helped, took notes for a good passdown for the next guy. Patient through it all and drilled down to the problem.
Sent out 2 sets of recovery disks and a 1GB stick of RAM at no charge. The warranty works and the service was top notch.

I was and am impressed.

Thank you Lenovo,

Vick

Steyr_223
09-10-2009, 2:30 PM
I have a Lenovo T400 for the last year. Works great no issues so far..

stormy_clothing
09-16-2009, 2:23 PM
we had to study the Lenovo acquisition a while back and it really points out an interesting difference between Chinese an American run IBM.

When they purchased IBM's laptop division they did so without a net return in mind so much but as a symbol of national strength as a result they have awesome customer service while some of IBM's other divisions have cut costs by opening call centers in india with poor call quality and questionable english skills.

I really wish companies would take a chapter from the 20 year playbook to heart and then I wouldnt have to dread trips to the apple store or calls to charter about internet connection.

Can'thavenuthingood
09-16-2009, 4:04 PM
we had to study the Lenovo acquisition a while back and it really points out an interesting difference between Chinese an American run IBM.

When they purchased IBM's laptop division they did so without a net return in mind so much but as a symbol of national strength as a result they have awesome customer service while some of IBM's other divisions have cut costs by opening call centers in india with poor call quality and questionable english skills.

I really wish companies would take a chapter from the 20 year playbook to heart and then I wouldnt have to dread trips to the apple store or calls to charter about internet connection.

I thought the Chinese bought the desktop division and IBM retained the ThinkPad?

I have the ThinkCenter desktop, maybe that's why I got the American speaking gents in Atlanta, GA.

Regardless I'm sold on this Lenovo so far, if it falls apart in the next few minutes I'd buy another Lenovo based on the CS.

Wife has a ThinkPad T-30, WIN XP, which she works the crap out of doing websites, homework and graphics without a burp.

Vick

1JimMarch
09-17-2009, 2:02 PM
I have a great source of universal recovery disks.

http://ubuntu.com