PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Killer and Corrosive Ammo?

b.faust
09-01-2009, 3:22 PM
I've read everyone's secret formula for cleaning corrosive salts from their weapons after firing.
The main things I keep seeing are:

1. Hot boiling water with some soap.
2. Water period.
3. Windex
4. Simple Green
5. "What? I never clean my AK/Mosen/ComBloc weapon..."

Soooo.....
I just put a lot of time into my new toy, I'm going to test fire it tomorrow, then have to leave it sit for a bit till I get home.
I'll have to clean it at the range and don't want to have a giant pillar of rust when I get home (The internet...it's filled with horror stories...)

I was considering taking a thermos of some hot water (with a little soap), then a bit of carbon killer, followed by by some slip2000 EWL.
Or will carbon killer be enough? (sans the hot water which is kind of a pain, and goes mildly against my instincts...)

Thoughts? Advice?
B.

Juicymeat
09-01-2009, 3:26 PM
Sounds more complicated than needed. Honestly for corrosive ammo I've just poured hot water from the faucet all over the gun and down the barrel, ran a patch through the barrel and then commenced with regular cleaning.

ETA: I have at times just ran a bottle of water I've left out in the sun at the range through the gun along with a bore snake soaked in Hoppes and my gun was fine.

b.faust
09-01-2009, 3:30 PM
ETA: I have at times just ran a bottle of water I've left out in the sun at the range through the gun along with a bore snake soaked in Hoppes and my gun was fine.

That's kinda what I was considering doing.

I'm going to pop this rifles cherry, and I want to make sure it has a good time out there, so I'm a little over protective right now.

;)

B.

SCMA-1
09-01-2009, 3:31 PM
I don't even use hot water; just clean it normally with the usual products. I do however give the bolt/carrier parts and hard to get at places a shot of Gun Scrubber. Never had a problem.

SCMA-1

Solidsnake87
09-01-2009, 7:19 PM
Simply shoot some water or windex inside the gun, on the bolt face, and down the bore when done firing. Just hose the weapon and components off when you get home. Boil the small components in water if you can. Then dry, clean, and oil as normal. I put 400 rnds of corrosive ammo through a friend's AK-74 while doing a shooting event a few weekends ago. After the cleaning proceedure I just described, there are ZERO signs of corrosion. I was a real puss about corrosive stuff before but I've been checking that AK every day for rust and have not seen any. You are good to go!