PDA

View Full Version : FAB-10 Verdict...give your report here.

TonyNorCal
06-19-2005, 8:28 PM
Ok,

These have been out for some time now and I assume that at least a few of our esteemed board members have used one fairly frequently.

I am interested in the following questions...

1.) Just how durable is a Fab-10? Does it seem like it can stand frequent use over time? What's likely to fail and how difficult is a fix? Interested in its suitabality for frequent use.

2.) Can the mags be replace or are they welded in?

3.) Does it seem like the piviot holes/points will deteriorate over time?

4.) General evaluation?

Thanks as always.

HEUER
06-19-2005, 9:51 PM
I had the oppurtunity to shoot one of the first FAB 10 models, produced in Northern California. It was produced in Marysville, and had a picture of KILROY on the lower. It did not have a bolt catch. The finish seemed to be some type of baked on finish that was very thick, no mag phosphate coating. It had all Bushmaster parts, and a 20 inch Bushy post ban HBAR. Very accurate. No play between upper and lower. Fun until you have to reload. Only one jam. Mag is bolted in to position. The model I shot had pretty decent pivot points. I have seen quite a few of the FAB 10 recievers/lowers for sale recently, and they seem to be pretty expensive. My opinion would be to purchase a rifle with a detachable magazine such as any of the M14 type rifles available. If this is going to be a rifle strictly for the range it is a fun plinker. A very expensive fun plinker.

C.G.
06-19-2005, 10:05 PM
1.) Just how durable is a Fab-10? Does it seem like it can stand frequent use over time? What's likely to fail and how difficult is a fix? Interested in its suitabality for frequent use.

Not any different from a regular AR lower.
2.) Can the mags be replace or are they welded in?
Easily replaced. Romove bolt catch on the newer model, remove set screw, drill oul pop-rivet. More difficult may be finding or modifying a mag. However, mine has worked flawlessly after I "exercised" the mag when it was new.
3.) Does it seem like the piviot holes/points will deteriorate over time?
Maybe after a very long time.
4.) General evaluation?
Go to my earlier post where I compareFAB-10 vs. Vulcan report (http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/332609466/m/41810153521)

mcad33
06-22-2005, 1:55 PM
i have one of the first ones and have had it for a couple of years. the fit sucked as the rear take down pin did not line up with my upper which was bushie. i filed the hole on the lower and it was alot easier to use. the mag functions fine except with ten in the bolt is hard to pull back do to spring tension. the one i have doesnt have the bolt catch so that is antoer minus. the finish sucks but at the time it was the only model out. i seen a bushmaster converted to 10rds by some company. great quality and the process can be reverseed if you move ie magwell reopened. i think they only sell them as complete rifles but it would be worth it with the prices of the fab10.

bwiese
06-22-2005, 2:38 PM
FAB10 lowers have improved over time. The lower in an AR-type design is relatively noncritical as long as mag's feedlips sit at the right level, the various holes are in the same position as on an M16/AR15, etc.

The rest of the rifle is stock AR parts and is as good as the quality of upper, etc. you put on.

Even wiggle-slop between upper and lower is not that important. You can always try an AccuWedge anyway.

For California ARs, I'd much rather have a FAB10 over a Vulcan. I do not like the Vulcan's mag setup.

The modified Bushmasters sold by GB Sales are very very pricey ($1200+ I heard?). By contrast a FAB10 lower can be had for $300ish; drop a $450 Bushmaster upper and you're ready to go.

Bill W
San Jose

C.G.
06-22-2005, 9:16 PM
One more thing to add. Just got Alexander Arms .50 Beowulf and 6.5 Grendel uppers. They fit the Fab-10 lower perfectly; different story with the Vulcan. The Vulcan already had problems with aligning to an Armalite upper and I couldn't align the Beowulf and Grendel at all without spending a couple hours shaving off a tad at a time off the Vulcan lower till I could fit them. The holes on the Vulcan were at an angle, but it certainly was not a 90 degree one. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

bu-bye
06-22-2005, 9:45 PM
I like my Fab-10. I mounted a DPMS 16" bull barrel on it and a 24x scope. It shoots 1/2" groups all day with reloads. I have one of the first Fab-10 made. Infact my receiver says something like MFG001. Its a fun gun to shoot but I would not carry her into battle. If you want a SHTF gun (and you have the money) a Springfield M1A is great. If you are more on a budget a Su-16 or a Mini-14 will do. I'm not even going to get into which of those two you should buy. Many lives lost in that war. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Stevil
06-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Amen my Brother.