PDA

View Full Version : Best defense .38 Special round

imported_dadoody
04-18-2005, 9:25 PM
I have something called "Glaser Safety Slugs" and "Federal HyDrak Shoks". I'm wondering, what is best in terms of stopping power for a .38 Special +P?

Some people told me that the Safety Slugs and some Hollow Points might just bounce off guys who where leather jackets. Is that true?

imported_dadoody
04-18-2005, 9:25 PM
I have something called "Glaser Safety Slugs" and "Federal HyDrak Shoks". I'm wondering, what is best in terms of stopping power for a .38 Special +P?

Some people told me that the Safety Slugs and some Hollow Points might just bounce off guys who where leather jackets. Is that true?

Mssr. Eleganté
04-18-2005, 9:33 PM
Ask those people if they will let you shoot them with a .38 Special Federal Hydra Shok or Glaser Safety Slug while they are wearing a leather jacket.

I think that the Hyda Shok would be the more effective round of the two, but you also have to consider where you might be firing the handgun.

In a "modern" apartment with paper-thin walls?
On a crowded city street?

Then the Glaser might lower your chances of "collatoral damage" and the lawsuits that come with it.

imported_Matt-man
04-19-2005, 11:56 AM
A lot of people like the +P 158-grain lead semi-wadcutter hollow point (LSWCHP) like this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=765718

Can't say that I've used it, though - I like the Hydra-Shoks.

Moonclip
04-19-2005, 12:54 PM
I use the 158 gr +p lead semi wadcutter hollowpoints, usually the Remington version as the lead seems softer in this version. At the low velocities the 38 special generates, especially out of a 2" barrel, I don't want a tough jacket that has to be peeled back to expand.

Glasers seem ok for close range defense but their expense and generally lower accuracy has caused me to genrally phase it out for most uses. Should be considered if you live in apartment building or other places where shooting thru a wall could put others at risk. Even small caliber handgun rounds can go thru a surprising amount of household construction materials.

BigAL
04-19-2005, 6:59 PM
Forget that Glaser safety slug stuff, it doesn't penetrate the FBI 12" minimum. Fed hydrashok aren't bad but they have been eclipsed by more recent rounds. Best .38 special out there now seems to be Speer Gold Dot 135 JHP, which still performs well out of very short barreled revolvers, even expanding through heavy clothing.

I find it hard to believe anyone could believe that a leather jacket will somehow stop a chunk of lead traveling at ~850fps. Maybe a magic leather jacket could.

imported_dadoody
04-20-2005, 1:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Say, what do you guys think of "Cor*Bon" rounds?

Moonclip
04-20-2005, 2:44 PM
Cor Bon is suppose to be really great ammo but I had some feeding issues with it in 9mm, even in a 9mm revolver! But also in a auto but to be fair, these were more magazine related failures.

I like Cor Bon in certain calibers like 45LC and 38super as no one else seems to make as good of a defense round in these calibers as they do, they tend to be loaded down too much by other companies.

BTW, what kind of 38spl and what barrel length are we talking about anyways? If you are loading up something like a airweight or scandium framed 38 revolver you may want to go with a non plus p hollowpoint.

Federal did or does market a "chiefs special" load in their nyclad line that is a non plus p holowpoint and I have some 110grain Winchester 38pecial non plus p silvertips.

I use the silvertips in a S&W 442 airweight snub revolver for controlability and sometime a Taurus 85 snub that I have that my sister may have to defend herself with since she is not a gun person I don't want her to have to contend with too much flash and blast and recoil and I figure this load is better than giving her like a 22lr or 25acp.

imported_dadoody
04-20-2005, 5:21 PM
I have a 4inch barrel revolver. It's a dark blued carbon steel frame. It's kinda heavy and feels very solid.

Yeah I know about the federal nycads, but they discontinued those I think

imported_11Z50
04-20-2005, 7:42 PM
I'm kinda "old school" but most of the time I carry 158gr LSWCHP in a Colt Cobra 2". Never felt undergunned at close range either. When I enter into a higher threat level I go the the Vertec. If you carry a gun for a living, go for the lightweight concealable piece or you won't have it on you when you need it most. There is nothing wrong with a 158 gr bullet out of a 2 or 4" barrel. Especially if that's what you have when it all goes down.

dadoody
07-07-2010, 4:25 PM
I have a 4inch barrel revolver. It's a dark blued carbon steel frame. It's kinda heavy and feels very solid.

Yeah I know about the federal nycads, but they discontinued those I think

Holy Geez. I barely can remember making this thread in 2005.

I just came across it during a search looking for more information about Federal Nyclads, only to see that I somehow knew more about them in 2005 than I do now.

Anyways, does anyone know what's up with Nyclads? I heard they were brought back after 2009 Shotshow; however, I can't find them ANYWHERE. All online vendors are sold out, and local gunshops never have anything in 38special.

Peter W Bush
07-07-2010, 4:40 PM
Ladies and Gentleman, I think we have a record!!!

ojisan
07-07-2010, 4:54 PM
dadoody....
Why are you no longer "imported-dadoody"?
Did you actually necro-bump your own thread?
You know you've been here too long if you read one of your old posts and consider it new info.
:p

Wow, even Moonclip is in this thread.
Screen names from times past...

Snubby load: .38 +P LSWCHP
Almost 1,000 FPS. Super-soft lead gas check bullet.
Buffalo Bore:
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

Mssr. Eleganté
07-07-2010, 8:04 PM
I saw the little icon that says I had posted in this thread and thought somebody had hacked my account. I didn't remember posting in a .38 Special ammo thread at all. :D

norcal77
07-07-2010, 9:30 PM
Not sure how old this article is but it gives some good advice...

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm