PDA

View Full Version : Registering a OLL

lasdidt14
09-01-2009, 7:32 AM
I know that it is optional to register rifles in california, however would you recommend registering an Off list AR or AK that has a bullet button?

Acorn556
09-01-2009, 7:37 AM
Not if you don't have to.

Darklyte27
09-01-2009, 7:37 AM
:shrug: is there some secret org we dont know of?

tombinghamthegreat
09-01-2009, 8:30 AM
Don't register it. There is no advantage to it besides government agencies having more information then they need on your guns.

sd1023x
09-01-2009, 8:33 AM
I know that it is optional to register rifles in california, however would you recommend registering an Off list AR or AK that has a bullet button?

What is your rationale for wanting to register it?

rabagley
09-01-2009, 8:45 AM
If you want to have a record of ownership for the insurance company or police in the event of theft, take several pictures that include the serial number and keep those files/photos in a safe place.

In the event that the gun is ever stolen, turn the files/photos over to the police and your insurance company.

MasterYong
09-01-2009, 9:22 AM
I didn't know you could register rifles at all in CA.

The question is- why would anyone WANT to???

hawk1
09-01-2009, 12:33 PM
There was some talk about doing this from Bill or Gene, but not sure if they came to a conclusion as to if it would be beneficial or not.

rabagley
09-01-2009, 5:20 PM
Basically, the theoretical benefit as I remember it was that if a poorly informed LEO thinks you've got an AW and runs the serial number on your CA-legal AK or AR and comes back with a hit that the gun is registered to you, you're more likely to walk away from the encounter with the rifle in your hand and no additional hassle.

Unit74
09-01-2009, 8:13 PM
I was under the impression that when it was DROSed to you, it was registered in your name. Am I missing something here?

Shane916
09-01-2009, 8:15 PM
I was under the impression that when it was DROSed to you, it was registered in your name. Am I missing something here?

Handguns are registered to your name. Long guns are not. The DROS for a long gun simply is a background check. The 4473 which belongs to the ATF has the gun info and serial number.

rabagley
09-01-2009, 9:01 PM

The DROS paperwork is not supposed to be retained by the CA government.

Acorn556
09-01-2009, 9:38 PM
If long guns aren't registered in the state then why worry about the cop checking registration? If you're that worried about it then register it. Seems like most of us wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't do it. Your gun. Your life. Your responsibility. Your call

lorax3
09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I made a thread about this same thing a few months back.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=196893

Some good responses in there too.

darkest2000
09-02-2009, 4:28 PM

Have you ever tried to read the copy of the DROS when you DROS a long gun? If you did you'd realize that nowhere on that sheet does it contain the information on the make, model, caliber, etc of the long gun you're getting. The only thing the CA DOJ knows when you DROS a long gun is the quantity that you're getting and when you're getting it.

HUTCH 7.62
09-02-2009, 4:52 PM
So the fact that I own two bolt action rifles that are not in my name is ok

StraightShooter
09-02-2009, 6:06 PM
So the fact that I own two bolt action rifles that are not in my name is ok

Yep

Noobert
09-02-2009, 6:09 PM
Don't register. Registering only makes it easier for the Gov't to take it away from you.

Librarian
09-02-2009, 6:18 PM
Basically, the theoretical benefit as I remember it was that if a poorly informed LEO thinks you've got an AW and runs the serial number on your CA-legal AK or AR and comes back with a hit that the gun is registered to you, you're more likely to walk away from the encounter with the rifle in your hand and no additional hassle.

IIRC, that's pretty much what Bill W posted a couple of days ago. In the current climate, letting the .gov have a bit more information than is required might - might - save some hassle when uninformed or poorly trained LEO see your rifle.

Cato
09-02-2009, 7:01 PM
:43:Basically, the theoretical benefit as I remember it was that if a poorly informed LEO thinks you've got an AW and runs the serial number on your CA-legal AK or AR and comes back with a hit that the gun is registered to you, you're more likely to walk away from the encounter with the rifle in your hand and no additional hassle.

What if all 50k-100k CA legal AK/AR/FALs/Uzis are registered at once? Might they just give in and let us register?

aplinker
09-02-2009, 8:13 PM
:43:

What if all 50k-100k CA legal AK/AR/FALs/Uzis are registered at once? Might they just give in and let us register?

:confused:

If you're thinking as AW, keep dreaming.

HUTCH 7.62
09-02-2009, 9:24 PM
Yep

B*cth'in