PDA

View Full Version : Can a community college prohibit gun clubs?

locosway
08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
When I'm at school I see tons of flyers for clubs. They range from Christian to ethnic to sexual.

If someone were to post flyers promoting a campus gun club could they prohibit that?

Or, would it be wise to simply say it's a 2A club?

CmpsdNoMore
08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
I've been thinking about trying to start a firearm club at the school I'm going to (Cal. State), maybe a little just because I'd like to see what they would say.

Jason762
08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Depends on the school, talk to the dean or whoever is in charge of poster approval.

locosway
08-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Same here, I'm more interested in seeing what people say and get them talking about 2A. Maybe if enough people show support for firearms it will cause others to think more.

Jason762
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Hmm...

How about this?

"Guns are bad! Do you disagree? Me too! Meet at Room 302 at 10 PM on Thursday 9/3 for a debate"

Or something like that.

locosway
08-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Hmm...

How about this?

"Guns are bad! Do you disagree? Me too! Meet at Room 302 at 10 PM on Thursday 9/3 for a debate"

Or something like that.

That is actually a very interesting idea. I may have to do that... Wonder if anyone in the area would want to join me. :)

locosway
08-31-2009, 11:39 PM
I also was wondering about a second amendment student foundation type thing.

Maybe students advocating for campus carry and such.

jdberger
08-31-2009, 11:51 PM
IIRC BWO was working on a 2a/gun club some time ago...you might want to ask him.

Librarian
08-31-2009, 11:52 PM
... But to answer the question in the title of the thread: Yes, they can prohibit them, most likely by claiming they do not follow college rules.

locosway
08-31-2009, 11:54 PM
... But to answer the question in the title of the thread: Yes, they can prohibit them, most likely by claiming they do not follow college rules.

Curious what rules those would be?

No weapons on campus, so there's no law or rule violation.

Don't students have a 1A right when on campus?

jdberger
08-31-2009, 11:56 PM
probably something broad and generic like "promotes violence/hate/weapons".

snobord99
08-31-2009, 11:59 PM

I'm leaning towards this answer. If it's a CC, CSU or UC, they're state schools and to ban the club, off the top of my head, would be a violation of your 1st Amendment right to assembly and, most likely, speech.

I'll do a little research into it.

Edit: actually, do you have reason to think it'll be an issue? I don't mind doing the research, but don't want to waste my time if it's not even an issue ;).

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Don't bother making a club if you can't have your own separate mascot that's totally more awesome than the college you are at. I think the only exception to this would be the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs; that's a hilarious one.

Gh0sT
09-01-2009, 12:10 AM
I've been thinking about trying to start a firearm club at the school I'm going to (Cal. State), maybe a little just because I'd like to see what they would say.

I always wanted to start an marksmanship club kind of like the one that UCSD had for a while. Sad thing is I go to a private school down in SD, and things that go bang bang won't bode well with the administration. Looking at their perspective, I do see how a "Marksmanship Club" is sliding down the metal wire. I don't think it is the problem with responsible students teaching other students how not to be afraid of how to operate a firearm, archery, and other projectile weapons - I think it is just the fact that they are too, also scared.

But if you go to CSU, let me know if you are starting up a club! I need an excuse to go to Iron Sights and meetings and such. :chris:

meinbruder
09-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm thinking more along the lines of disorderly conduct or even intimidation.

After all, kids are getting expelled for drawing pictures of guns or using chicken strips to mime guns, now actual discussion would be involved.:eek:

snobord99
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
I always wanted to start an marksmanship club kind of like the one that UCSD had for a while. Sad thing is I go to a private school down in SD, and things that go bang bang won't bode well with the administration. Looking at their perspective, I do see how a "Marksmanship Club" is sliding down the metal wire. I don't think it is the problem with responsible students teaching other students how not to be afraid of how to operate a firearm, archery, and other projectile weapons - I think it is just the fact that they are too, also scared.

But if you go to CSU, let me know if you are starting up a club! I need an excuse to go to Iron Sights and meetings and such. :chris:

USD?

snobord99
09-01-2009, 12:36 AM
When I'm at school I see tons of flyers for clubs. They range from Christian to ethnic to sexual.

If someone were to post flyers promoting a campus gun club could they prohibit that?

I don't think it's wise to call it a "gun club" for completely unrelated reasons; however, I think that even if you call it a "gun club" they can't prohibit it. CC = state school, 1st Amendment applies. Widmar v. Vincent, 454 U.S. 263.

As long as no one's actually bringing a gun on campus or encouraging people to do so, I'm pretty sure you're in the clear.

I doubt there's even a policy against such an organization.

locosway
09-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I know the instructors can give students a hard time for now agreeing with their views, but that doesn't bother me.

GuyW
09-01-2009, 12:46 AM
No.

If they allow any clubs on campus, they would have to allow one centered on a fundamental Constitutional Right....

snobord99
09-01-2009, 1:05 AM
I know the instructors can give students a hard time for now agreeing with their views, but that doesn't bother me.

In all honesty, having gone through a CC, UC and a private school, I don't think any of my profs knew enough about my out-of-class activities to give me a hard time. I think they'd only know if you or someone else goes out of their way to tell them. Don't bring it up in class, they'll never know.

ZRX61
09-01-2009, 6:51 AM
It's all in the wording... *Marksmanship club* sounds so much better to the proles ;)

missiondude
09-01-2009, 7:12 AM

Only for liberal thought and speech....

cousinkix1953
09-01-2009, 7:21 AM
Isn't USD that private Catholic school in San Diego? No gun clubs there? On the other hand the Jesuits run the sister USF campus in San Francisco and they do have a club and even a range.

ROTC has a range at San Jose State too...

University of California Rifle and Pistol, Davis CA 95616 Isn't this the home of that so-called anti-gun college professsor who's cooking up that gun show BS story??

Vtgunner
09-01-2009, 7:41 AM
The administration would have to be completely imcompetent to try to prevent a gun club forming. As someone previously stated freedom of speech and freedom of assembly apply to the school due to the fact they are public institutions. Speech on campuses has been vigorously defended on campuses by almost all courts. I have ran an extremely unpopular club on a campus, and despite multiple rule changes designed to frustrate our pupose it thrived.

The best thing is the school will probably even fund your club. Because if they fund one club they have to fund all or have a very good reason not to.

OlderThanDirt
09-01-2009, 9:47 AM
Make it politically impossible to ban your club. Call it the "Constitution", "Bill of Rights", "American Civil Liberties" or "Second Amendment" club. Even if you go for the more direct 2A club, your charter should state that the intended purpose is to foster the understanding behind the 2A and explore the history behind the 2A. It sounds quite scholarly, and they don't have to know that your meetings are held at the range. A university would probably drool all over an American Civil Liberties Club, until they find out that you are only concerned about the one civil liberty that is ignored by the ACLU.

Gh0sT
09-01-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't go to USD ;)

gun toting monkeyboy
09-01-2009, 11:18 AM

What planet have you been living on? College isn't about free speech, or the constitution. It is about indoctrination. And conformity, provided your conformity isn't pro-judeo-christian (islam is fine, of course), pro-life, pro conservative, or pro-American...

wildhawker
09-01-2009, 11:47 AM
My experience, although limited, has been pretty positive so far. As long as you take some aspects with a grain of salt and not immediately become defensive or hostile when an alternative perspective or argument contrary to your own is offered, it seems to be far from what you're describing.

What planet have you been living on? College isn't about free speech, or the constitution. It is about indoctrination. And conformity, provided your conformity isn't pro-judeo-christian (islam is fine, of course), pro-life, pro conservative, or pro-American...

bden
09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
In high school some of the white kids tried to start a European (or some such thing) club. It was not in the slightest way meant to be a white power movement or anything along those lines, rather simply another cultural club like the African Americans, Tongans, Chinese, Latinos, etc. had. Nobody said they couldn't do it, but every club was required to have a teacher who sponsored the club. Not even the coolest wacky skate board riding physics professor would sign on though so it never happened. In hindsight that probably should have made the news, but it eventually fizzled like a wet firecracker in winter. Don't know if it's the same with colleges, but it might be helpful to get some staff on your side if possible.

locosway
09-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm just waiting for the end of my History class since I know guns will come up. If the teacher spews FUD it will be my mission to correct him, even if it means getting on his bad side.

wildhawker
09-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Loco, sounds like you are looking for a fight. Do you really believe that is the best way to represent our community and get your message across?

Werewolf1021
09-01-2009, 12:56 PM
I wouldnt try it. Some guy here at Poly a while back put up a flyer for Cal Poly Republicans club with an author for a book "It's OK to leave the Plantation." with a picture of the author (who is black) and some student called it racist. Anyway, guy would not take it down so the other student calls UPD. http://www.thefire.org/article/152.html

yellowfin
09-01-2009, 1:04 PM
The administration would have to be completely imcompetent to try to prevent a gun club forming. At least half of the ones I've heard of are.
The best thing is the school will probably even fund your club. Because if they fund one club they have to fund all or have a very good reason not to.They can invent a "very good" reason for ANYTHING. They're BS salesmen.

Librarian
09-01-2009, 1:44 PM

To amplify: if some administrator doesn't want such a club to happen, it's highly probable that the school can effectively prevent it, mostly by making things up.

That's distinct from 'is it right?' or 'is it legal?' to do that.

greasemonkey
09-01-2009, 1:56 PM
A university would probably drool all over an American Civil Liberties Club, until they find out that you are only concerned about the one civil liberty that is ignored by the ACLU.
:rofl2: The Civil Liberties Club is catchy, you'll get all kinds of hippies in there the first one or two meetings!! And at least you know you won't be shot!

I wouldnt try it. Some guy here at Poly a while back put up a flyer for Cal Poly Republicans club with an author for a book "It's OK to leave the Plantation." with a picture of the author (who is black) and some student called it racist. Anyway, guy would not take it down so the other student calls UPD. http://www.thefire.org/article/152.html

I could see that one being a problem and getting bad press right off the bat. Pretty much anything with "gun", "republican", "law abiding citizen" or "the Constitution is meaningful"...anything like that is going to get some pretty unwanted, severe attention.

locosway
09-01-2009, 3:06 PM
Not so much looking for a fight, but if I can get people talking and attend a debate I believe I can persuade them to at least look at the issue with open eyes.

TaxAnnihilator
09-01-2009, 4:01 PM
I think if you are going to do this you should make the club as organized as possible, cross every 't' dot every 'i' and then promote the hell out of you event. I am sure one of the more knowledgeable members here could make a presentation.

I am willing to help you get the club to comply with the rules and write your mission statement/charter if you can link me to your school's information.

Not so much looking for a fight, but if I can get people talking and attend a debate I believe I can persuade them to at least look at the issue with open eyes.

pnkssbtz
09-01-2009, 4:48 PM

As long as the club does not bring any banned items onto campus, no they cannot.

There already is a case in CA for something similar in a high school (El Modena) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Modena_High_School#The_Gay-Straight_Alliance)

(Colín v. Orange Unified School District, No. SA CV 99-1461)

Also there is the Equal Access Act. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_Access_Act)

Basically, if they allow clubs on campus they must allow all clubs on campus.

snobord99
09-01-2009, 5:26 PM

Let me guess, you didn't make it to college? At the very least, you didn't graduate, right?

M9Man
09-01-2009, 5:54 PM
At my school Shasta College every other car I walk past in the parking lot has an Obama insignia bumper sticker. Be ready to deal with a riot of brainwashed teenagers in overly tight jeans and spiked hair trying to pummel you :p. Actually I would be very interested in starting a group like that at Shasta what would you recommend for talking points, facts, history? Got any good research material to suggest memorizing?

Quake0
09-01-2009, 6:21 PM
I used to be the president for the East LA college Chapter of students for the second amendment. While the school staff may not be able to ban your club, they will most likely try to make your life a living hell.

MindBuilder
09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
For the name of the club I'd suggest: "Lifesaving Gun Defense Club". We need to change the image of guns from killing machines to life saving tools. We all should emphasize "life saving" as much as possible. People often think guns are for killing even though they know that most police don't carry a gun because they want to kill.

"Lifesaving Gun Defense and Sporting Club" might be more inclusive.

In fact maybe we should get Calguns to change its name to "Lifesaving Calguns". And maybe the NRA should become "Lifesaving Rifle Association". I think that might be a powerful image changer. It could also help it go international.

GearHead
09-01-2009, 10:40 PM
For the name of the club I'd suggest: "Lifesaving Gun Defense Club". We need to change the image of guns from killing machines to life saving tools. We all should emphasize "life saving" as much as possible. People often think guns are for killing even though they know that most police don't carry a gun because they want to kill.

"Lifesaving Gun Defense and Sporting Club" might be more inclusive.

In fact maybe we should get Calguns to change its name to "Lifesaving Calguns". And maybe the NRA should become "Lifesaving Rifle Association". I think that might be a powerful image changer. It could also help it go international.

I really hope you're joking

FastFinger
09-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Sure seems like there are a few folks who could use a bit more backbone.

The administration causing problems? Bring it on! What better publicity could you ask for?

CalGuns is currently looking into to forming local councils for social, political, and membership outreach and growth benefits, sounds like campus councils would be a perfect fit.

CalGuns.net could easily add forum areas for these college affiliates and the membership at large could assist where needed.

Hopefully we'll eventually be able to offer discounted fees etc at local ranges and other benefits. I'd hope that most forward thinking retailers and other businesses catering to firearm owners would realize that campuses are home to their future customers, so have a slew of campus affiliated groups would be win/win/win for the students - Calguns - and affiliated businesses.

GearHead
09-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I go to a private University in the South Bay Area and have been thinking of starting up a Second Amendment club. Getting that approved by the Student Senate would be a nightmare...

MindBuilder
09-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Mindbuilder wrote:
maybe the NRA should become "Lifesaving Rifle Association". I think that might be a powerful image changer.
GearHead wrote:
I really hope you're joking
If you think that sounds weird then I hope you can come up with something that sounds cooler, but I'm dead serious about putting something about protection or lifesaving in the titles of gun rights organizations. What do you think was ridiculous about my suggestion? The sound of it, the very idea, the loss of brand recognition, or what?

snobord99
09-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Why not just call it "Calguns" and make it, more or less, a chapter of Calguns?

Blackhawk556
09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
i wish there was a gun club at fresno state i would join in a heart beat:gunsmilie:

locosway
09-01-2009, 11:26 PM
i wish there was a gun club at fresno state i would join in a heart beat:gunsmilie:

Start one...

Theseus
09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Calguns Club! A group NRA approved instructors, training materials, and other stuff. . . Each institution can have its own chapter in the schools.

Damned it! Someone was 12 hours ahead of me!

snobord99
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Calguns Club! A group NRA approved instructors, training materials, and other stuff. . . Each institution can have its own chapter in the schools.

Damned it! Someone was 12 hours ahead of me!

Hmm, who beat you to it? ;) :D

yellowfin
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I go to a private University in the South Bay Area and have been thinking of starting up a Second Amendment club. Getting that approved by the Student Senate would be a nightmare...Turn it around on them. You're standing up for minority rights. A real minority- racial minorities aren't a minority anymore- and real rights. You want an integrated campus where different people are welcome, where up to this point we've been shut out because of the other side's bigotry and ignorance. People who are against RKBA are segregationists, pure and simple.

dantodd
09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Turn it around on them. You're standing up for minority rights. A real minority- racial minorities aren't a minority anymore- and real rights. You want an integrated campus where different people are welcome, where up to this point we've been shut out because of the other side's bigotry and ignorance. People who are against RKBA are segregationists, pure and simple.

Diversity as used today is all about diversity everywhere but in thought. There they prefer homogeneity.

Steyrlp10
09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Sure wish there was a gun club on campus when I was vacationing at SFSU. It may have prevented me from sleeping so much through my classes on top of the Student Union.

For sure I would have gotten an "A" for attendance at club meetings!

TaxAnnihilator
09-02-2009, 4:09 PM
I really do think that this discussion demonstrates that there should be Chapters of Calguns on every campus, with a similar structure to a frat or The Federalist Society (http://www.fed-soc.org/aboutus/). Develop a uniform philosophy, structure, polished look, ect.

I am a member of Chapman Law's Federalist Society and have had some great speakers including John Lott the day after the Virginia school shooting. Had about 100 students where he again espoused the dangers of "gun free zones."

If anyone wants to form a small committee to get this on it's feet I am game.

cousinkix1953
09-02-2009, 5:12 PM
I used to be the president for the East LA college Chapter of students for the second amendment. While the school staff may not be able to ban your club, they will most likely try to make your life a living hell.
The problem is bigger than Kommiefornia. The anti-gun dean threatened to expel a co-ed in LOUISIANA because she was active in Students for Concealed Carry. They sent her to a psychiatrist and harassed her parents. They don't want pro-gun students on campus even in some southern states. Most these unelected aministrators have a Third World dictator's mentality!

Tom Gresham interviewed this co-ed on his syndicated "Gun Talk" show a few weeks ago. Fortunately this happed in a state, where the local ACLU chapter does not subscribe to the predominant anti-gun mentality in other areas. This anti-gun dean and his university are gonna wind up in court. The co-ed got so pissed off that she made some noise in the state capital too. Can you say "scandal hearings" C-SPAN style?

greasemonkey
09-02-2009, 5:17 PM
Have any of you guys looked into going to the Calguns Town Hall meetings in your area? Those would be a great place to bring this up and start organizing campus clubs.

CmpsdNoMore
09-02-2009, 5:26 PM
I was kicking myself over missing the opportunity to going to the meeting and see if there was any interest in this, as greasemonkey mentioned.

Though,my interest in starting a group on my campus would be greater if this wasn't my first year.

Scold
09-02-2009, 5:57 PM
Anyone here go to, or know someone who is pro RKBA that goes to De Anza College in Cupertino? I go there and am in pretty good with the debate teacher/coach and would really like to get together with some other people and possibly get this off the ground at my school (I've been thinking about this for a while as well).

FastFinger
09-02-2009, 6:22 PM
Hmm, who beat you to it? ;) :D

Mmm... not you!:cool:

GearHead
09-02-2009, 6:30 PM
Anyone here go to, or know someone who is pro RKBA that goes to De Anza College in Cupertino? I go there and am in pretty good with the debate teacher/coach and would really like to get together with some other people and possibly get this off the ground at my school (I've been thinking about this for a while as well).

I have a friend who will be a junior at De Anza. If you want to PM me your email address or someting, I can get you two in contact.

Scold
09-02-2009, 7:40 PM
I have a friend who will be a junior at De Anza. If you want to PM me your email address or someting, I can get you two in contact.

PM sent

M9Man
09-02-2009, 7:50 PM
The problem is bigger than Kommiefornia. The anti-gun dean threatened to expel a co-ed in LOUISIANA because she was active in Students for Concealed Carry. They sent her to a psychiatrist and harassed her parents. They don't want pro-gun students on campus even in some southern states. Most these unelected aministrators have a Third World dictator's mentality!

Holy cow:shock:... If a university dean tried to do that to me I would first take deep breaths and fight every urge to rip the man's throat out then pool all legal, NRA, and gun advocate resources I could to make his life a living hell:willy_nilly:.

Sundowner
09-02-2009, 9:23 PM
To answer the original poster's question, if you go through the proper channels for setting up a club, yes you can have a gun club. I teach at a CC and we have two gun clubs: a trap-shooting club and a rifle/pistol club. Both of our clubs have a campus police officer as an advisor along with a faculty member and a classified staff member. We are all regular shooters and we had the idea of providing a venue for students who wanted to learn how to shoot. The response from the administration was restrained but positive (first time it had been done). Once we assured them that we wouldn't be bringing guns on campus, they were fine with it. Both clubs got an NRA grant to purchase firearms, eye and ear protection and ammo. We store everything at our local rifle range (where we advisors are all range masters). We hold on-campus fund raisers and recruitment. Membership varies from semester to semester as students graduate and move on. We recently branched out and started an archery club, too. It involves some work, but we have trained a lot of young people to shoot! :)

CmpsdNoMore
09-02-2009, 9:42 PM
I've heard it mentioned a few times, but what is "CC"?

greasemonkey
09-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Community College. By the way, Kings River CC is a bad name, especially if the only group activity in the dorm is doing hard drugs...then your college is affectionately referred to as 'CRACK'. They've since changed their name but the dorm life and nickname still stand.

ETD1010
09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
The community college where I'm from (College of the Sequoias in Visalia) HAS a gun club. my friend was in it while he was there and I got to go on one of their range trips :)

CmpsdNoMore
09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
Oh, I thought that was a specific school...

Turo
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
The community college where I'm from (College of the Sequoias in Visalia) HAS a gun club. my friend was in it while he was there and I got to go on one of their range trips :)

A few of my high school friends are in that one, I'm so jealous! Cal Poly doesn't have one AFAIK.

biglou_71
09-03-2009, 8:06 AM
When I was at UC Davis back in the early 90's, we had a pistol club on campus. We met every Monday night at the on-campus shooting range and would shoot for several hours. I even had a special permit issued by UCD PD to bring my own firearms on campus. I would regularly ride the bus to campus with my guns in my shooting bag--if the other students on the bus only knew :)

Sundowner
09-03-2009, 9:05 AM
The community college that I teach at is College of the Sequoias in Visalia.

Greg-Dawg
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
DO IT!!!!

greasemonkey
09-03-2009, 10:47 AM
I was kicking myself over missing the opportunity to going to the meeting and see if there was any interest in this, as greasemonkey mentioned.

Though,my interest in starting a group on my campus would be greater if this wasn't my first year.

Even better that it's your first year, you've got four years to work on it. Even if you were a junior, it'd still take a while for the club to take off, right now you have a chance at a head start!

Francis Marion
09-03-2009, 11:38 AM
It's no stretch to trample your First Amendment rights if their boots are already smeared with the Second.

Nevertheless, you'll have to endure the dogs and firehoses if you want to have your rights respected, just like blacks had to do.

I think you'd find very many like minded people from across the political spectrum who would be interested.

Air rifles, air pistols are suitable for indoor use, if you want to shoot.
If your sports department has archery equipment, you should be able to obtain permission to use the same facilities that they use.

You have to be prepared to justify every aspect of what you propose, anticipate obstacles, and point to precedent where possible to get access. And claim the tolerance, understanding, and accomodation that EVERY OTHER club gets. Next best thing is to talk on campus, but shoot at ranges off campus.

You might need a lawyer, and will probably encounter official opposition every step of the way.

Some colleges in the US have shooting programs, I know of one in TN and one in TX. See how they did it.
El Paso Community College

And you should certainly do this.

Nate74
09-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Long Beach State had a shooting club in the mid/late 90's. I went to one or two meetings and several shooting outings. One of my engineering professors commented once about an event flyer I had with me. He said he didn't support violence and would appriciate it if I didn't promote violence in his classroom. Ironically, prior to teaching he worked at Northrop on the F18-C program... I never had the stones to point out the humor of that fact to him though.

professionalcoyotehunter
09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
I will submit my request for a hunting and 2A club at my campus on Monday and see how it goes. There is a paintball and fishing club so I dont see why not as long as we dont have a show and tell right? LOL.

Nate74
09-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I've hurt myself far worse with a fly rod than I ever have with any of my guns.

professionalcoyotehunter
09-03-2009, 11:56 AM
:iagree:

greasemonkey
09-03-2009, 3:24 PM
I really do think that this discussion demonstrates that there should be Chapters of Calguns on every campus, with a similar structure to a frat or The Federalist Society (http://www.fed-soc.org/aboutus/). Develop a uniform philosophy, structure, polished look, ect.

I am a member of Chapman Law's Federalist Society and have had some great speakers including John Lott the day after the Virginia school shooting. Had about 100 students where he again espoused the dangers of "gun free zones."

If anyone wants to form a small committee to get this on it's feet I am game.

That is exactly what we're looking into right now, check out this announcement!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=218779

As a few of us have discussed over PM, hold off on submitting an application for starting a club right now, we'll get to that soon. We'd like to work on setting something up so we can more easily implement campus chapters of CGN!

Look up the town halls in your area and get involved in the process, if you're in the Central/South Valley, check the link in my thread.

cousinkix1953
09-03-2009, 5:29 PM
When I was at UC Davis back in the early 90's, we had a pistol club on campus. We met every Monday night at the on-campus shooting range and would shoot for several hours. I even had a special permit issued by UCD PD to bring my own firearms on campus. I would regularly ride the bus to campus with my guns in my shooting bag--if the other students on the bus only knew :)
That shooting range is still there at the Military Science Department. I found them on "wheretoshoot.org". What the hell is an anti-gun professor trying to do by running around the gun shows in other states?

cousinkix1953
09-03-2009, 5:32 PM
Long Beach State had a shooting club in the mid/late 90's. I went to one or two meetings and several shooting outings. One of my engineering professors commented once about an event flyer I had with me. He said he didn't support violence and would appriciate it if I didn't promote violence in his classroom. Ironically, prior to teaching he worked at Northrop on the F18-C program... I never had the stones to point out the humor of that fact to him though.
He's just like those idiots on MSNBC. They opposed the Iraq war even though they are employed by GE, which is part of the military Industrial Complex...

CSDGuy
09-03-2009, 6:31 PM
When I attended a Junior College, there was this firearms class... students enrolled in the class generally used the school's guns, but on those days that we'd meet for class, students could bring their own... right onto campus. However, it had to stay secured in a container, in your car, until you brought it into the range. No approval was necessary, as it was considered part of the course. Outside of that course, and you'd have to have permission from the administration...

Nate74
09-04-2009, 8:07 AM
Actual shooting classes and on campus ranges? Very cool. At the time I was at Long Beach State, the Long Beach Police range was still open to the public 2 or 3 days a week. That range is now the parking lot for a mall... :(

Francis Marion
09-04-2009, 6:34 PM
One more college with a shooting program:

East Tennessee State University

Look them up; if you'd like to speak with people in that program, PM me.

Bring a list of approved clubs with you- identify clubs of allied purpose to point to as precedent, in anticipation of Administration rejection of your first request.

"You can't have a gun club, that's violent and dangerous."

-But we have a wrestling team.
-And we have a Tae Kwon Do club and a boxing club. So 'violent' sports are already OK, and besides, marksmanship, an olympic sport, is not violent.

-And an archery club. And the track and field team throws javelins and shotput, both of which are capable of causing injury. So therefore projectile sports are OK at this school.

"You can't have a gun club, because we don't allow weapons on campus."

-Yes, you do allow bows an arrows, javelins and shotput, and fencing swords. Our shooting simply adds another projectile sport discipline. And the campus police all carry weapons.

"You can't have a gun club, it's too expensive for the school."

-No, we'll pay for and build our own equipment, we just want a place on campus to meet like any other club, and a place to practice our sport.

Short of building yourselves a powder-rated range, you can set yourselves up to shoot air rifles or pistols with minimal backstops on a shoestring budget.
Get in with the Drama Dept. and salvage their old props. CMP has competition grade air rifles, among other sources.

And you'll have a lot of writing to do, to draft Standard Operating Procedures for the school to review/approve for all aspects of the club- how to transport arms, run events, etc.

The most popular new club on campus? The more well prepared you are to answer administrative concerns, the more likely they are to eventually approve. Pick your proposal apart from their point of view, and have answers ready. Good luck and ask for help here if you need it; many good folks here would love to see your dream made real, at your school and many others.

CSDGuy
09-04-2009, 6:52 PM
Actual shooting classes and on campus ranges? Very cool. At the time I was at Long Beach State, the Long Beach Police range was still open to the public 2 or 3 days a week. That range is now the parking lot for a mall... :(
Yes, there was an actual range on campus. It is now classrooms. The conversion was about 12-15 years ago. Not many people there remember that the range even existed.

That range was at De Anza College...

snobord99
09-04-2009, 7:04 PM
One more college with a shooting program:

East Tennessee State University

Look them up; if you'd like to speak with people in that program, PM me.

Bring a list of approved clubs with you- identify clubs of allied purpose to point to as precedent, in anticipation of Administration rejection of your first request.

"You can't have a gun club, that's violent and dangerous."

-But we have a wrestling team.
-And we have a Tae Kwon Do club and a boxing club. So 'violent' sports are already OK, and besides, marksmanship, an olympic sport, is not violent.

-And an archery club. And the track and field team throws javelins and shotput, both of which are capable of causing injury. So therefore projectile sports are OK at this school.

"You can't have a gun club, because we don't allow weapons on campus."

-Yes, you do allow bows an arrows, javelins and shotput, and fencing swords. Our shooting simply adds another projectile sport discipline. And the campus police all carry weapons.

"You can't have a gun club, it's too expensive for the school."

-No, we'll pay for and build our own equipment, we just want a place on campus to meet like any other club, and a place to practice our sport.

Short of building yourselves a powder-rated range, you can set yourselves up to shoot air rifles or pistols with minimal backstops on a shoestring budget.
Get in with the Drama Dept. and salvage their old props. CMP has competition grade air rifles, among other sources.

And you'll have a lot of writing to do, to draft Standard Operating Procedures for the school to review/approve for all aspects of the club- how to transport arms, run events, etc.

The most popular new club on campus? The more well prepared you are to answer administrative concerns, the more likely they are to eventually approve. Pick your proposal apart from their point of view, and have answers ready. Good luck and ask for help here if you need it; many good folks here would love to see your dream made real, at your school and many others.

Why bother with all that? I'd just say "This is a state run school correct? So you're saying I can't assemble a club and say things to members of that club based on the content of what I may say?"

greasemonkey
09-04-2009, 9:48 PM
Why bother with all that? I'd just say "This is a state run school correct? So you're saying I can't assemble a club and say things to members of that club based on the content of what I may say?"

Exactly, we're not trying to start putting in ranges (yet). I really don't think we'll see much of a problem, especially here in the Valley, getting CGN campus chapters going. If anything, getting campus chapters here in the valley makes it even less of a hassle to get them in more heavily saturated anti-2A state schools. To be able to say A. you're denying my 1A rights and B. these same chapters are functioning at other state campuses...suck it(in an ever so polite and tactful way).