PDA

View Full Version : Can I sell my handgun in CA without going through a licensed gun dealer first?

afry116
08-31-2009, 8:50 PM
Can I just sell my handgun with a bill of sale or do I need to have the buyer have the gun registered through a licensed gun dealer first?

Ron-Solo
08-31-2009, 8:55 PM
Dude, you just asked the same question in the handguns forum and were given accurate info. Stop wasting eveyone's time. The answer is still the same. In California, you must transfer handguns thru an FFL.

madhatter
08-31-2009, 8:56 PM
No!
You have to go throw a FFL, you can do a FTF or ship it to his FFL.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-31-2009, 8:57 PM
Sure. Depends if you want to play ball in California Penal though.

afry116
08-31-2009, 8:59 PM
Dude, you just asked the same question in the handguns forum and were given accurate info. Stop wasting eveyone's time. The answer is still the same. In California, you must transfer handguns thru an FFL.

Sorry I posted it in the wrong spot, I am trying to figure out how to delete my first post!

dantodd
08-31-2009, 9:37 PM
No problem. Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your time here at CalGuns and choose to stick around, we can use all the gunnies we can find here in California.

California requires any handgun transfer (and most long gun transfers) to be done by a licensed FFL. It is called a PPT (person to person transfer) and you will need to take the gun to the FFL and meet the buyer there. The FFL will fill out any paperwork needed and hold the gun for the state mandated 10 day waiting period. The maximum fee for this service is $35 including all the state fees, anyone charging more is breaking the law. (If you ship the weapon to the dealer instead of doing a face to face transfer there is no limit on the fees the dealer may charge)

Any firearms dealer who sells handguns is required by law to perform the transfer for you. Some do not like doing the transfers because they don't make very much money on the deal (only $10 goes to the dealer, the rest is state fees.) the buyer will also have to get a HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate) in order to take possession of the gun. There are some exemptions from the HSC requirement but I'm sure the dealer can explain it to the person buying the gun.

ATF and DOJ agents have been known to ask people to sell guns without a dealer so if someone is asking you to break the law be VERY VERY careful.

We are all working very hard here to change the California gun laws. Breaking the laws while we are working on reform is not advised!

383green
09-01-2009, 7:33 AM
In case the original poster isn't already aware of this, "FFL" refers to somebody with a Federal Firearms License to sell guns. In other words, a licensed gun dealer.

thatrogue
09-01-2009, 10:08 AM
No problem. Welcome aboard. I hope you enjoy your time here at CalGuns and choose to stick around, we can use all the gunnies we can find here in California.

California requires any handgun transfer (and most long gun transfers) to be done by a licensed FFL. It is called a PPT (person to person transfer) and you will need to take the gun to the FFL and meet the buyer there. The FFL will fill out any paperwork needed and hold the gun for the state mandated 10 day waiting period. The maximum fee for this service is $35 including all the state fees, anyone charging more is breaking the law. (If you ship the weapon to the dealer instead of doing a face to face transfer there is no limit on the fees the dealer may charge)

Any firearms dealer who sells handguns is required by law to perform the transfer for you. Some do not like doing the transfers because they don't make very much money on the deal (only $10 goes to the dealer, the rest is state fees.) the buyer will also have to get a HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate) in order to take possession of the gun. There are some exemptions from the HSC requirement but I'm sure the dealer can explain it to the person buying the gun.

ATF and DOJ agents have been known to ask people to sell guns without a dealer so if someone is asking you to break the law be VERY VERY careful.

We are all working very hard here to change the California gun laws. Breaking the laws while we are working on reform is not advised!

Bravo gunnie

professorhard
09-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes you can. As long as it's black powder.

bruss01
09-01-2009, 10:28 AM
For a non-black powder handgun

You can sell the barrel without a FFL
The grips too
Magazines or cylinder
You can sell the sights
You can sell all the screws and the trigger group parts and springs

But you cannot sell the frame (receiver) without an FFL. This will be the prominent piece to which everything else attaches and invariably has a serial number stamped in it. If it doesn't that's a whole separate legal problem.

So in a sense, you can sell MOST of your handgun without an FFL, just not the one crucial piece.

Also, we're assuming you're a california resident and that the gun is already here in CA. If not, you have to make sure it is on the Roster of Approved Handguns before you can bring it into the state or sell it to a resident of the state. If both you and the seller are CA residents and the gun is already here in the state, then it can be sold via private party transfer (PPT). This still requires an FFL to perform. At the time of purchase the handgun will be registered to the new owner.