PDA

View Full Version : Can I legally sell a handgun in CA without going to a FFL first?

afry116
08-31-2009, 7:39 PM
I was wondering if I can sell a gun without having it registered by a FFL into the new persons name. I know this sounds like a pretty stupid question but it has been over 14 years since I bought or sold any guns. Thanks!!!

thefinger
08-31-2009, 7:49 PM
The government says you aren't supposed to sell handguns without going through an FFL.

I disagree, but I don't have a police force and a prison system. So I find its best to do as the government says.

bangkok
08-31-2009, 7:51 PM
Any gun I sell, I want my name off of it! No telling what some loon is going to do and then have it all come back to me?! No thanks, I'll go through an FFL.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-31-2009, 7:52 PM
I was wondering if I can sell a gun without having it registered by a FFL into the new persons name. I know this sounds like a pretty stupid question but it has been over 14 years since I bought or sold any guns. Thanks!!!

If you are asking if you can sell a handgun to somebody without going through an FFL, then the answer is no. If you are asking if you can sell an unregistered handgun to somebody through an FFL without if first being registered to the seller, then the answer is yes. The handgun will be registered to the new owner though the PPT/DROS process at the FFL. There is no need to first register the gun in the seller's name before selling it.

Librarian
08-31-2009, 8:26 PM
it has been over 14 years since I bought or sold any guns. Thanks!!!

The FFL has been required in CA since 1991 for almost all transfers. Maybe it's been longer than you remember ...

Knifemaker
08-31-2009, 8:27 PM
Yes you can IF it was made before 1899! Any pistol after that date you have to do the transfer through an FFL in CA, unless its a black powder pistol.....We can get more confusing if you want....:~)

xr650r
08-31-2009, 8:35 PM
how about selling a rifle or pistol to a relative in Arizona?

I'm thinking of giving my old single shot 12 gauge to my brother (19). Do we need to do paperwork on it? I bought it in Ca 10 years ago or more. The paperwork I have for it doesn't even have the serial number, just a background check, I think.

any advice?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-31-2009, 8:40 PM
how about selling a rifle or pistol to a relative in Arizona?

I'm thinking of giving my old single shot 12 gauge to my brother (19). Do we need to do paperwork on it? I bought it in Ca 10 years ago or more. The paperwork I have for it doesn't even have the serial number, just a background check, I think.

any advice?

You would need to do the transfer through an FFL in Arizona. Federal law requires that transfers of firearms between residents of two different States go through an FFL.

Librarian
08-31-2009, 8:56 PM
Time to go off to the Calguns Foundation Wiki and read the FAQs - link in my .sig.

SJgunguy24
08-31-2009, 9:06 PM
The question "Can I legally sell a handgun in CA without going to FFL first?"

Yes you can, by all means take the money, but they can't take delievery of the handgun untill the proper paperwork, 10 24 hour periods and fees have been taken care of first.