PDA

View Full Version : Long Delay - PFEC Personal Firearms Eligibility Check

Mr.CRC
08-31-2009, 7:00 PM
Hi:

I mailed a PFEC application on April 17. They cashed my check about a week later. The form says "DOJ will make every effort to process PFECs within 30 days, however, please allow 90 - 120 days for the processing
of your application. You will be notified via U.S. Mail."

They are late. I will probably call to complain in a few more days. Their budget problems aren't my problem. If a private business takes my money and fails to deliver a good/service in the time promised, that is called fraud.

This PFEC form must not be used very frequently, because I searched this forum and didn't see any complaints of long DOJ processing delays.

hoffmang
08-31-2009, 7:06 PM
I know that LEGR's were taking as much as an extra 30 to 45 days. As such, I would recommend inquiring as it would seem to me that your situation is so long as to appear to be an error.

-Gene

8 pack
08-31-2009, 10:33 PM
I filed a PFEC earlier this year and had the results back in around 2 weeks, before the check cleared actually. I also called in and gave the general details of the incident I was worried about and asked if that would cause any flags on the background check. The guy that answered the phone was helpful and checked around and gave me the correct answer.

artherd
09-01-2009, 12:02 AM
That's abnormal and means something got misplaced. Call DOJ and follow up - that department is usually very helpful.

Mr.CRC
09-05-2009, 9:11 AM
That's abnormal and means something got misplaced. Call DOJ and follow up - that department is usually very helpful.

I called, and indeed as some have mentioned, they were very helpful. Apparently there was an error, and they will be mailing me my results which appear to be that I am Ok.

Thanks for all your input!

hoffmang
09-05-2009, 9:27 AM
I'm glad you called as I just saw someone get their PFEC in 15 days.

-Gene

Mr.CRC
09-11-2009, 7:57 PM
Ok, I got my PFEC back and I'm legal to purchase and possess.

Now on to the challenging task of figuring out what gun(s) to buy!

KylaGWolf
09-11-2009, 8:33 PM
Mr. CRC that is always the fun part. I bought my first gun in April I bought an HK USP compact 9mm. Although the cases are cheaply made. But that is a whole different story. My other half swears by his XD 40. All I can say is go with what feels best in your hand and you should do fine.

The internet and magazines can be a good place to get comparison information...but I found most of the magazines to be biased to one brand or another.

1859sharps
09-11-2009, 8:35 PM
Ok, I got my PFEC back and I'm legal to purchase and possess.

Now on to the challenging task of figuring out what gun(s) to buy!

keep it simple...one of each :D

GrizzlyGuy
09-12-2009, 6:47 AM
Having heard of all the instances of bad info in the 'No Fly' lists, identity theft, etc. I did a PFEC in June for peace of mind. I received the results 21 days after sending it in. I sent the application via certified mail, so that may have helped it get fairly speedy processing(?).

Blacktail 8541
09-12-2009, 7:01 AM
What is the purpose of the PFEC?

spddrcr
09-12-2009, 10:42 AM
What is the purpose of the PFEC?

to make sure your legal to purchase a firearm, no felonies or anything that would hold up a DROS.

Ive always kinda wondered how people would not know if they could buy a firearm or not:confused: