PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Zouaves?

Dr Rockso
08-31-2009, 6:33 PM
I'm wanting to check out the SJ Zouaves shoot this Saturday. Their site says to just show up by 8 am. Also it says that if you have a Garand in safe operating condition you can bring it to your first shoot, so unless there's a reason not to I'll plan to bring my CMP service grade.

Also I'm wondering about demographics. I'm a college senior and I'm curious if there will be other people around my own age (not that I have anything against old folks). Any other advice would be appreciated.

RudyN
08-31-2009, 6:55 PM
I won't be able to make it there, but you will be welcome to come. The people there are very nice. A service grade Garand will be fine. The are some younger guys in the club so you should be fine.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-31-2009, 7:47 PM
If you do it, I'll do it. We are roughly the same age. I think we need to bring their form and $60. I'll meet you there. Deal?

Bowser
08-31-2009, 7:52 PM
I'd join but I work saturdays and I don't own a M1 Garand lol.

phish
08-31-2009, 7:58 PM
Good, I'll no longer be "the kid" who shoots there. :43:

Dr Rockso
08-31-2009, 9:53 PM
If you do it, I'll do it. We are roughly the same age. I think we need to bring their form and $60. I'll meet you there. Deal?
Sounds good to me.

Acorn556
09-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Damn peter I thought you were wicked older for some reason. I think you me and him need to get together for some good ol' ****tin around. Maybe a man date for a movie or bar hoppin if you're up. If I wasn't leaving town thursday night I'd show up to check it out. Range is pretty close to Peter and I.

andalusi
09-02-2009, 5:29 AM
I won't be able to make it there, but you will be welcome to come. The people there are very nice. A service grade Garand will be fine. The are some younger guys in the club so you should be fine.

Are you allowed to bring your own non-Garand rifle the first time or do they require you to use a Garand the entire time? Not that I'd complain if that were the case, mind you---I don't have a Garand and have been itching to shoot one for a while now---but I'd like my K31 and my M96 to have some outdoor fun, too.

user5412
09-02-2009, 5:59 AM
I bought my K-31 my first time there. Placed right around the middle, since then with my nicer rifles I've been doing worse and worse. :P

Acorn556
09-02-2009, 6:16 AM
If you look at their website it will tell you everything you need to know. they arent exclusive to the garand...people just use those a lot.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-04-2009, 8:39 PM
Damn peter I thought you were wicked older for some reason. I think you me and him need to get together for some good ol' ****tin around. Maybe a man date for a movie or bar hoppin if you're up. If I wasn't leaving town thursday night I'd show up to check it out. Range is pretty close to Peter and I.

Sounds good.

Rockso, PM sent.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-07-2009, 1:18 AM
Any other Calgunners go to this shoot besides Rockso and Silvertear? I know that there was at least one more!

SJgunguy24
09-07-2009, 5:34 AM
The only rifle I have with irons is an AK, think that'll fly?

Dr Rockso
09-07-2009, 8:27 AM
I'd probably bum a loaner Garand (the rifle is free, but you have to buy your 60 rounds of ammo for $30). I've never shot an AK at 200 yards but I imagine it's not easy. If you wanted to give it a shot I doubt anybody would stop you, though.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-08-2009, 1:08 AM

They have scoped matches as well.

joebob
09-13-2009, 3:15 PM
Hi Guys,

I have been shooting with the Zouaves since around 2005. There are a lot of very friendly and very knowledgable people in club that will help you out. I had hardly any shooting experience when I got there, but after a year I was shooting expert class at the club and was able to compete with no problems at the regional and state NRA highpower matches.

When someone first joins the club, they go through standard training with a Garand. This training is focused on teaching safe handling and NRA Highpower match procedures. Even if you have shot a rifle before, you still take the training, because most shooters have never shot on an NRA Firing line before. In Highpower matches, there are no benches and you shoot iron sights in multiple positions with different loading configurations.

After you have taken your initial training, you can shoot whatever you have that conforms to NRA Highpower rules. Most people shoot AR-15, Many shoot Garand, Some shoot M1A, and a few shoot NRA Match rifles. As long as the rifle uses iron sights and can conform to the NRA/CMP loading instructions for both slowfire and rapidfire stages, it is OK. If a guy wants to shoot an AK, Mosin Nagant, etc. it should be fine as long as the rifle is considered safe on the line and uses iron sights. If you are nice, you might be able to get someone to take pity on you and let you use their rifle for a while. ;)

The zouaves website has a FAQ which answers a lot of questions new shooters have. Start with these sections and then explore the other sections to get more information on the club. The FAQ includes a photo gallery which will give a feel for what goes on at a club match.

http://zouaves.org/zouaves/adult
http://zouaves.org/zouaves/faq/6-new-shooters
http://zouaves.org/zouaves/course

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing new members on the first Saturday of every month.