PDA

View Full Version : antis at it again

Teriod
08-31-2009, 2:15 PM
this is my first post here and i wanted to say Hello to every one, and bring to everyones attention a new route in place to shut down public gun show by our liberal friends at UC Davis as read in a popular 4x4 website

Is there anyone that can attend this BS. A hospital with a liberal political agenda... Amazing.

I cant make it or I'd go to lurk. Anyones else in sac area???

What:
The UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program will announce the results of a comprehensive, undercover study entitled Inside Gun Shows: What Goes on When Everybody Thinks Nobody’s Looking. This unique report includes hundreds of hidden-camera photographs and video taken from 78 gun shows in 19 states, detailing how American gun shows have become leading sources of crime guns for Northern California, the United States, Mexico and Canada. Also emphasized is the link between gun shows and extreme right-wing political activities and specific action recommendations.

Who:
Garen Wintemute is a professor of emergency medicine and director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at UC Davis. A leading researcher in the field of injury epidemiology and the prevention of firearm violence, Wintemute has authored more than 50 journal articles on the nature, cause and impact of gun violence. His goal is to help law enforcement and policymakers develop more effective approaches for preventing illegal gun use and violence.

Visuals:
Copies of the report, key photographs and hidden-camera video clips will be available.

When:
Wednesday, September 2, 2009, at 10:30 a.m.

Where:
The briefing will take place in the UC Davis M.I.N.D. Institute auditorium, 2825 50th Street, Sacramento. A map and directions are online at http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mindins...ps_directions/

also heres the UC link http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/newsroom/newsdetail.html?key=3246&svr=http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu&table=published

Hunter4life1990
08-31-2009, 2:33 PM
i go sac state.but if ii go to this "briefing" it will most likely be detremental to their health :44:

Lateralus
08-31-2009, 2:35 PM
Ooh, sounds like fun.

Ill go. Should be good for a laugh.

mtptwo
08-31-2009, 2:47 PM
LOL, California never had the "gun show loophole". Both parties would have to be willing to break the law to do a sale not going through an FFL. If both parties are willing to break the law, don't you think they would be willing to do so regardless of it being at a gun show or not?

Roadrunner
08-31-2009, 2:53 PM
It might be interesting to see how they spin their "findings".

PEBKAC
08-31-2009, 2:53 PM
Is it just me or is all of that which they are presenting as "evidence" basically summed up in the sentence: "Criminals break the law"? :rolleyes:

TaxAnnihilator
08-31-2009, 2:54 PM
I hope you will attend the event for us (with a large but civil entourage), armed with the truth, and pin these bastards to the wall with their "Well, this one time..." anecdotal evidence they create to validate their FUD.

californialawsucks
08-31-2009, 3:00 PM
I am going to be an incoming freshman at UC Davis this year. This push for more gun control is too bad if the "findings" are what I expect them to be and support more laws.

cousinkix1953
08-31-2009, 3:23 PM
LOL, California never had the "gun show loophole". Both parties would have to be willing to break the law to do a sale not going through an FFL. If both parties are willing to break the law, don't you think they would be willing to do so regardless of it being at a gun show or not?
Yes we did! Some of us are old enough to remember, when you could advertise and sell firearms in the classified sections of our corrupt anti-gun newspapers. The editorrial pages were a constant deluge of BS about the Brady bill; but you didn't need a FFL to sell a used handgun in the San Jose Muckery. No forms to fill out either in those days. What a big joke. Those hypocritical editors weren't above advertising those scary asault rifles as long as you paid for the ads. I cancelled my subscriptions to two newspapers and told the self-righteos editors to f--- themselves.

Buying guns at the San Jose flea market and the TS gun show was as easy as finding one at the neighbor's garage sale - no questions asked. All of this was before the Stockton massacre in 1989. We have seen almost annual deluge of stupid anti-gun bills since the mid 90s. Kommiefornia is the Gun Control Lobby's petri dish expirament for the rest of Amerika.

The UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program will announce the results of a comprehensive, undercover study entitled Inside Gun Shows: What Goes on When Everybody Thinks Nobody’s Looking. This unique report includes hundreds of hidden-camera photographs and video taken from 78 gun shows in 19 states.
Nobody cares WTF goes on in other states!

Maybe those UC Davis idiots ought to do some research in their own backyards? They'll be shocked to find shooting ranges and private gun clubs on some of their own sister campuses. It's easy to search by zip code at wheretoshoot.org and get a list of the ranges in the area.

There is a student shooting club and a range on the San Jose State University campus. Another private club is located at San Francisco State too, which is in the middle of Gavin Newsom's "gun free" zone. How is this consistent with another state law which prohibits the posession of firearms on campus except by the LEOs?

SwissFluCase
08-31-2009, 3:27 PM
Wouldn't the hidden taping be a violation of the gun show promoter's rules? Maybe someone should tip them off...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

RRangel
08-31-2009, 3:45 PM
this is my first post here and i wanted to say Hello to every one, and bring to everyones attention a new route in place to shut down public gun show by our liberal friends at UC Davis as read in a popular 4x4 website

Is there anyone that can attend this BS. A hospital with a liberal political agenda... Amazing.

I cant make it or I'd go to lurk. Anyones else in sac area???

What:
The UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program will announce the results of a comprehensive, undercover study entitled Inside Gun Shows: What Goes on When Everybody Thinks Nobody’s Looking. This unique report includes hundreds of hidden-camera photographs and video taken from 78 gun shows in 19 states, detailing how American gun shows have become leading sources of crime guns for Northern California, the United States, Mexico and Canada. Also emphasized is the link between gun shows and extreme right-wing political activities and specific action recommendations.

Who:
Garen Wintemute is a professor of emergency medicine and director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at UC Davis. A leading researcher in the field of injury epidemiology and the prevention of firearm violence, Wintemute has authored more than 50 journal articles on the nature, cause and impact of gun violence. His goal is to help law enforcement and policymakers develop more effective approaches for preventing illegal gun use and violence.

Visuals:
Copies of the report, key photographs and hidden-camera video clips will be available.

When:
Wednesday, September 2, 2009, at 10:30 a.m.

Where:
The briefing will take place in the UC Davis M.I.N.D. Institute auditorium, 2825 50th Street, Sacramento. A map and directions are online at http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/mindins...ps_directions/

also heres the UC link http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/newsroom/newsdetail.html?key=3246&svr=http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu&table=published

Remember that those behind the "comprehensive study" have no credibility. In no way is Garen Wintemute able to have an objective opinion. Him and his cronies think up results to convey and then set about doing research as proof. You can guarantee that this "report" is nothing more than anti-gun inspired propaganda. The discredited Dr. Kellerman study is a prime example of such hoplophobic practitioners.

cousinkix1953
08-31-2009, 4:31 PM
Wouldn't the hidden taping be a violation of the gun show promoter's rules? Maybe someone should tip them off...

Regards,

SwissFluCase
Most gun show promoters do not allow cameras on the premisis. 60 Minutes had to get permission to "openly" visit the gun show in Richmond Virginia a few months ago. Secret video taping might be illegal in some states too.
In those cases, criminal complaints should be filed against UC Davis...

Untamed1972
08-31-2009, 4:49 PM
Most gun show promoters do not allow cameras on the premisis. 60 Minutes had to get permission to "openly" visit the gun show in Richmond Virginia a few months ago. Secret video taping might be illegal in some states too.
In those cases, criminal complaints should be filed against UC Davis...

To the anti's the ends justify the means.....even if it means breaking the law so they can attempt to show how others break the law.

They hate when their tactics gets used back on them though.

obeygiant
08-31-2009, 4:51 PM
Teriod, Welcome to CGN! Thank you for sharing this with everyone here.

forgiven
08-31-2009, 5:18 PM
Yes we did! Some of us are old enough to remember, when you could advertise and sell firearms in the classified sections of our corrupt anti-gun newspapers. The editorrial pages were a constant deluge of BS about the Brady bill; but you didn't need a FFL to sell a used handgun in the San Jose Muckery. No forms to fill out either in those days. What a big joke. Those hypocritical editors weren't above advertising those scary asault rifles as long as you paid for the ads. I cancelled my subscriptions to two newspapers and told the self-righteos editors to f--- themselves.

Buying guns at the San Jose flea market and the TS gun show was as easy as finding one at the neighbor's garage sale - no questions asked. All of this was before the Stockton massacre in 1989. We have seen almost annual deluge of stupid anti-gun bills since the mid 90s. Kommiefornia is the Gun Control Lobby's petri dish expirament for the rest of Amerika.

Nobody cares WTF goes on in other states!

Maybe those UC Davis idiots ought to do some research in their own backyards? They'll be shocked to find shooting ranges and private gun clubs on some of their own sister campuses. It's easy to search by zip code at wheretoshoot.org and get a list of the ranges in the area.

There is a student shooting club and a range on the San Jose State University campus. Another private club is located at San Francisco State too, which is in the middle of Gavin Newsom's "gun free" zone. How is this consistent with another state law which prohibits the posession of firearms on campus except by the LEOs?

:iagree:

I too remember the good ole days of buying a rifle/shotgun ftf. Also welcome to CG's.

cousinkix1953
08-31-2009, 6:56 PM
To the anti's the ends justify the means.....even if it means breaking the law so they can attempt to show how others break the law.

They hate when their tactics gets used back on them though.
That's why Washington Post columnist, Carl Rowan crusaded against handguns, while arming himself with an illegal cheap .22 caliber revolver. He might of learned that shooting an unarmed teenage, for skinny dipping a the backyard pool, was hardly a case of justifiable homicide. Yeah we know, only those NRA rednecks would take courses, where the instructors explain the law about shooting a criminal. So, who is really the gun nuts?

Those antis didn't complain; when the DEA raided the Cow Palace on Memorial Day Weekend. Several people were arrested for selling marijuana, LSD, cocaine, meth and ecstacy in a state-owned facility. Nobody wants to ban these canned music raves, or deny the use of public property for events which are an attractice nuisance for drug dealers. Let's ban the gun shows; because the police issued some parking tickets in the neighborhood...

hoffmang
08-31-2009, 7:09 PM
Wintemute is a long time looney anti.

Someone should ask him why he's advocating violating the first amendment too.

-Gene

Librarian
08-31-2009, 7:20 PM
The discredited Dr. Kevin Kellerman study is a prime example of such hoplophobic practitioners.
Arthur Kellermann (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Kellermann), perhaps?

I know, hard to keep track without a program.

RRangel
08-31-2009, 7:27 PM
Arthur Kellermann (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Kellermann), perhaps?

I know, hard to keep track without a program.

Wrong Kellerman, but I fixed it.

trashman
08-31-2009, 7:29 PM
That's why Washington Post columnist, Carl Rowan crusaded against handguns, while arming himself with an illegal cheap .22 caliber revolver. He might of learned that shooting an unarmed teenage, for skinny dipping a the backyard pool, was hardly a case of justifiable homicide.

I had almost forgotten about that guy. That kind of hypocrisy really is just...I dunno. When I lived in DC I used to bring this up as a prime example of the intellectual lunacy of the anti-gun policy position. You can't make this stuff up. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Rowan)

--Neill

Can'thavenuthingood
08-31-2009, 7:33 PM
Here is an interview transcript of Garen (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/interviews/wintemute.html) from a PBS show.

Strategies for Disrupting Illegal Firearm Markets: A Case Study (http://www.rand.org/pubs/authors/w/wintemute_garen.html) of Los Angeles - 2008
http://www.rand.org/ui/images/icon_document.gifTechnical Report (http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR512/)

More background info. (http://www.gunsandcrime.org/wintemut.html)

Vick

(http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR512/)

cousinkix1953
08-31-2009, 9:48 PM
Wintemute is a long time looney anti.

Someone should ask him why he's advocating violating the first amendment too.

-Gene
Wayne LaPierre has been asking this question for many years. The same fascists who want your guns, will shut you up too. It doesn't take genious to know that most of those anti-gun congressmen and senators are also sponsors of the Fairness Doctrine. I know this much, just from hearing some of the usual suspects mouth off on TV...

jdberger
08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Wintermute is a hoot. He takes money hand over fist from the Joyce Foundation.

He and Hemenway (at Harvard) were the vanguards of Joyce's attempt to redefine gun control as a "public health" issue.

Ole Garen's been pretty quiet up until now. Maybe it's time to apply for additional funding.

Whoops...there it is! (http://www.joycefdn.org/GrantList/WorkInProgress/Joyce_Grant_List_All_041609.pdf) Page 4. $175,000

Number 6
08-31-2009, 10:21 PM
I am curious to see his methodology. On the face value, it sounds like he is making invalid claims that are not backed up by proper research methodology. I'd imagine if this was presented to competent social scientists he would be laughed out of the auditorium.

hoffmang
08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
I'd imagine if this was presented to competent social scientists he would be laughed out of the auditorium.
Sadly in that environment there is usually a lot of confirmation bias going on...

-Gene

cousinkix1953
09-01-2009, 6:44 AM
Never mind the gun shows in many other states. This moron has a gun culture on his own campus. Let him explain this:

University of California Rifle and Pistol, Davis CA 95616
Military Science Department

Facility Details
• Private
• Outdoor
• Gun/Sportsman's Club

Access To Facility
• Members Only

It sounds like ROTC members doing their own thing too...