PDA

View Full Version : AB962 - Please indicate your participation in the legal process - NOW WITH POLL!

goober
08-31-2009, 1:16 PM
I think it would be a good idea to quantify the participation and activity of CGN members in the legal process regarding AB962. There have been reports in the media and Senate/Assembly analyses that seem to under-represent the amount of opposition we have expressed, so here's our chance to be counted, at least so that we know they're BS'ing when they say they've heard from "a few hundred" in opposition to this horrendous abomination of a bill.
Please indicate ALL forms of participation in which you have taken part TO DATE.

ETA- NOW WITH POLL!!!
(Be honest)

radioburning
08-31-2009, 1:20 PM
I've emailed everyone on the list at least a couple times a week for the past two months, had my girlfriend fax from her work the ones that we know for sure are anti a couple times, and called the offices of the known anti's a couple times.

Paul E
08-31-2009, 1:45 PM
Emailed called and faxed everyone on the list

bwiese
08-31-2009, 1:46 PM
My 'free' cellphone minutes are in the negative.
I yowl at them as much as I have time for - quick breaks, errands, etc.

TripleT
08-31-2009, 2:11 PM

I have a voip phone (free nationwide LD) with congress and senate members on speed dial and I hit (figure of speech) the involved conspirators, that are on the wrong side of the issue, at least once a week. If the staff person seems to want to talk, I'll grille them a bit, w/o being rude or obnoxious.

Lissauer
08-31-2009, 2:12 PM
Is it better to call or email?

Legasat
08-31-2009, 2:12 PM
I have contacted everyone on your list except for the Gov. He might be next if it passes.

sza
08-31-2009, 2:20 PM
I've signed one of the petitions at the local gun shop, and faxed the following note to every senator:

http://www.offline.org/~burch/crap/AB962_sm.jpg

I'm probably going to snail mail copies of the same flyer to each senator's Sacramento office this week, with a hand written note attached.

dexter9659
08-31-2009, 3:01 PM
I hate writing by hand... but it seems I have no choice. I find it funny that even though I am an expert in the field of political economics and my invests are up 45% over the past 3 years and the state is broke... they will ignore my economic advice as they know better.

McCrown
08-31-2009, 4:31 PM
I have emailed my senator twice, wrote her from her website once, and called twice.
Senator: Kehoe

obeygiant
08-31-2009, 4:47 PM
Sent more faxes,emails than I can remember.
Called each of the committee members for both the senate and the assembly.
Cross-posted the updates on the bill to about 4 or 5 other forums
Setup 3 online letters at freedomspeaks that allows others to fax and email their representatives.
Working with another Calgunner on a website to help us launch a coordinated effort against legislation that infringes upon our RKBA.

Lone_Gunman
08-31-2009, 8:11 PM
Sent this letter to my Senator and Assemblymember.

AB962(De Leon) Ammunition - OPPOSE

Dear XXXXX,
I have never in my life written a politician regarding any issue. This is my first letter. I hope that gives you some idea as to how seriously I take this issue.
I urge you to vote no on AB962. AB962 is unnecessary, costly and would be a burden to lawful dealers and lawful ammunition buyers. If its purpose is to prevent crimes involving the use or possession of a handgun, it would be ineffective. The financial implications of this bill are staggering while it would do nothing at all to curb crime.
At a time when our State is struggling to survive it seems reckless and irresponsible to pass bills that will reduce the amount of sales tax generated. In addition the damage it would do to retailers and their customers is substantial and unjustifiable. Accordingly, I urge you to vote NO on AB962.

Thank You for your service to our great state.
XXX XXXXXX
Galt, CA 95632

KylaGWolf
08-31-2009, 8:39 PM
Is it better to call or email?

Call and snail mail and fax is the best ways to contact. E-mails tend to get ignored.

KylaGWolf
08-31-2009, 8:42 PM
I have contacted all but the Governor at this point he is next on my list of contact. I will contact my representatives YET AGAIN to tell them of my dismay of this bill. And I will further state that IF they vote for it they lose my vote and everyone else I can vote against them the next time they are up for election since they are more concerned to vote with party lines rather than their constituents best interest.

goober
08-31-2009, 9:55 PM
Thanks, folks, keep 'em coming! Actual posts explaining your activity are great, but make sure you enter your info in the poll as well! I hope to get some sense of how many of us voiced our opinions, even though it will likely be an underestimate and subject to some inaccuracy... But its worth a shot!

johnny_22
09-01-2009, 2:14 AM
My Assemblymember, Alberto Torrico, authored a similar bill a few years ago. So, my email and fax fell on deaf eyes.

Senator Corbett is usually more understanding. I expect her to change her vote in the full Senate.

The advantage of contacting the other assemblymembers and senators is that you get their email alerts. "Anderson Report" is quite good.

Governor is the last step, and if it passes the Senate, I will call, fax, and email Arnold.

Alaric
09-01-2009, 2:28 AM
I've called everyone in the assembly and senate who has a vote in this to date. That said, is this poll indicative of CGN membership, or maybe just the more politically active membership who regularly trolls (so to speak) 2nd Amd.? Just saying it's likely not too indicative, but could serve as a sort of catalyst to induce participation, at best.

That said, let's kill this beast.

tmuller
09-01-2009, 7:46 AM
I have called every Dem member on each committee and contacted both my Assemblymember(Saldana) and Senator(Kehoe). My emails and phone calls did no good within my district and those bums have been notified that they won't receive my vote ever.

nick
09-01-2009, 8:32 AM

T-mobile, Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon all have unlimited plans for $100. In case of Sprint, it also includes SMS/MMS and Internet. BoostMobile has an unlimited plan for $50, if you don't mind BoostMobile.

nick
09-01-2009, 8:32 AM
I've called everyone in the assembly and senate who has a vote in this to date. That said, is this poll indicative of CGN membership, or maybe just the more politically active membership who regularly trolls (so to speak) 2nd Amd.? Just saying it's likely not too indicative, but could serve as a sort of catalyst to induce participation, at best.

I'd imagine that a lot of people call as a result of the NRA alerts.

goober
09-01-2009, 12:53 PM

The intent is just to get a rough gauge of member activity on this issue, so that when we read/hear from senator x or committee y that they received only z contacts in opposition, we can call BS b/c we know that just w/in our members that responded to the poll we have 3z folks that claim to have contacted them (or whatever).
Its likely to be an underestimate to the extent that folks make the contacts but don't hit the poll, and also only as good as folks are honest, but at least its something.

radioburning
09-01-2009, 2:27 PM
Politically smart or not, I feel we should be an angry mob on De Leon's door step every day until this thing goes away. It enrages me to think of elected officials actively trying pull the rug out from underneath the inalienable rights of law abiding citizens. Sometimes I wish for the old days when charlatans and snake oil peddlers like this would get tarred and feathered and chased out of town with pitchforks.

sd_shooter
09-01-2009, 5:00 PM
Made some phone calls, wrote the gov.

Good poll, let's keep this up!

radioman
09-01-2009, 5:11 PM
I have email & called my senator and assemblyman.

Nevermore
09-01-2009, 5:15 PM
My state senator is on the Senate Appropriations Committee, so she's getting a letter. Not sanguine about the response, but hey -- you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lone_Gunman
09-01-2009, 7:03 PM
I am wondering if civil disobedience would be appropriate in any of these cases. Not necessarily an "angry mob" but more along the lines of peaceful sit ins etc.

unusedusername
09-01-2009, 7:49 PM
I am wondering if civil disobedience would be appropriate in any of these cases. Not necessarily an "angry mob" but more along the lines of peaceful sit ins etc.

Only if nobody is armed...

A "mob" of "angry" people with guns marching on the capitol is what started this mess in the first place.

M9Man
09-01-2009, 7:54 PM
Emailed the Governator.

taloft
09-01-2009, 8:19 PM
My phone bill has been about double its usual amount the last three months. I've emailed everyone I could think of, some repeatedly since they are also committee members. Everytime this bill moves I get an email letting me know where it is currently. I then do it all over again with the next committee. Looks like the Governor will soon be getting a call/email/fax.

Here's an example:

To the Honorable Members of the State Senate,

Iím appalled that once again this subject is being brought before the legislature. This type of bill has been addressed numerous times in the past and the feeling of the people is well known. We donít like it! AB 962 is merely another intrusive attempt at gun control. Law abiding citizens would be unfairly burdened with higher costs due to an inability to buy ammunition from online sources, as well as additional taxes. Since there is a nation wide scarcity of ammunition at this time, local prices have skyrocketed. That is if youíre lucky enough to find some in stock. In a time of fiscal crisis for the State, it is fiscally irresponsible to add such administrative costs to the state budget and passing them on to the tax payers is no better. Criminals will merely ignore the law as with most gun control. This has the potential to create a new black market over night. We have enough restrictions on ammunition purchases as it stands. Please lend your support by voting No on AB 962. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

taloft

Lemon Grove, CA. 91945
This is but one version, I amend it as needed.