PDA

View Full Version : BB AR is legal but is it safer to buy a BB AR from a gun store than build one?

tiko
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Some gun stores begin to sell BB AR type, for example the Rancho shooting center is selling SW MP15 with BB install for $1100.
I heard some legal cases with BB AR, now if I buy a BB AR from a gunstore, will I be safer from arresting because I have the whole rifle legally from a gun store, if not legal so that gun store could not sell it! So an LEO will not do anything?
Thanks.

CSACANNONEER
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
FUD! If a rifle is legally configured, it's fine. It makes no difference if you installed a mag lock, bought one pre-installed or did as featureless build with out any mag lock!

mitchsti
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
In calif I dont know of a shop that will sell one without a BB installed

Untamed1972
08-31-2009, 12:37 PM
How would a LEO know you built it vs. bought a complete rifle? Well unless you waive your 5th ammendment right to keep silent that is.

dantodd
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
The cops won't even know if you bought the gun complete or as a stripped lower. There is no centralized database they can look up your DROS details.

lorax3
08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
It would not make a difference. Do not think just because it is a gun store they cannot do or sell illegal things, sometimes in pure ignorance of the law.

Now, if your rifle is legal you will not have any issues, wether it was a complete rifle from a gun store or just a built upon lower.

There is always the LEO who does not know any better, but as this point in the OLL game it seems a non issue to worry about it.

But as far as one being 'more legal' than the other there is no difference in that respect.

SJgunguy24
08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
The configuration of the rifle is all that matters, who built it has nothing to do with anything.

Now if I had a shop i'd tell you that just to make a sale. If a shop was building guns they would need to have an 07 license.

hoffmang
08-31-2009, 12:55 PM
As long as your rifle is properly configured and you weren't breaking a serious law at the same time, CGF will generally defend you.

-Gene

fuegoslow
08-31-2009, 1:00 PM
Only difference is about $200 more in your pocket. Plus the parts you buy online and out of state are tax free. An $1100 AR will have an extra $100+/- in taxes.

bwiese
08-31-2009, 1:04 PM
<Echo of Gene's comments above...>

There may be a slight additional bit of favoable handwaving, since CA FFLs are legally agents of the Calif DOJ (BoF). If there are incidents due to regulatory unclarities (in contrast to obvious violations of law - selling a machinegun to a felon with forged paperwork) a defense is buttressed because "a regulated agent of the state told me so".

Regultory disputes cannot readily be criminalized on first blush - regulations are suppoed to exist to clarify law and establish boundaries. However, DOJ BoF has almost established a 'pattern & practice" of this thru multiple Dept. AGs, and further incidences could really help us in court against DOJ. They already screwed up bigtime in the Contos case.

NiteQwill
08-31-2009, 1:16 PM
Makes no difference how you acquire a BB AR.

Build your own. Plus, it's generally cheaper! :)

CSACANNONEER
08-31-2009, 1:24 PM
In calif I dont know of a shop that will sell one without a BB installed

Then you don't know enough shops. I don't even know of a shop that won't sell a stripped lower or a featureless build unless they don't sell any ARs at all.

artherd
08-31-2009, 1:46 PM
There may be some very very mild influence on the DA.

Your average beat cop is not going to know or care.

A wiser and still optional conservative strategy, is to Voluntary Register your OLL. Then it comes up in AFS (the same database of handguns and AWs) as registered to you...

Most cops stop their inquiry there.

lorax3
08-31-2009, 1:49 PM
A wiser and still optional conservative strategy, is to Voluntary Register your OLL.

I have been considering vol. reg'ing my OLL. If privacy was a non-issue I do not see too much of a drawback. I worry about getting stopped and if my ID is run and a 'Stag 15' shows up I get the first degree about weapons in the car or on my person, etc.

drexotic
08-31-2009, 1:53 PM
LE aside . . . If you build it it will be "safer" because you will understand how your AR works and will know how to care and repair it as necessary.

wash
08-31-2009, 1:54 PM
The only grey area I can see between buying complete and assembling yourself is the possibility of putting together a Rock River lower with a Rock River upper and making something that might be confused with a named AW.

As long as your lower doesn't look like a listed model you should be fine.

tiko
08-31-2009, 3:05 PM
Thanks for all your answers, now I have decided to build my BB AR 15 follow the chart. About register my OLL, will think about it.

CSACANNONEER
08-31-2009, 3:33 PM
There may be some very very mild influence on the DA.

Your average beat cop is not going to know or care.

A wiser and still optional conservative strategy, is to Voluntary Register your OLL. Then it comes up in AFS (the same database of handguns and AWs) as registered to you...

Most cops stop their inquiry there.

I agree. Voluntary Registration would bring piece of mind to the paranoid and any LEO who decides to check your rifle. But, I just hate giving the state even more money to waste and I'd have to put serial numbers on my homebuilds too.