PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my patrol rifle

nobody33
08-31-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm a patrol officer and currently running a Colt MT6731 (A match target competition H-bar). At the time I bought it, there wasn't a 6920 to be found. I was going to buy a new 6940 because the match target wasn't generally designed for a patrol gun. However, I used the gun in a OIS in march and don't really want part with it (saved my life). I'm thinking of making some modifications to it to make it better for use as my patrol rifle.

What do you guys think I should do with the barrel? Right now I'm thinking a comp/flash hider (by sending it in to be threaded, cut down, and pinned), and a 9" larue rail system- taking off the A2 front sight and putting on a flip up. Weight and $$ is not too much of an issue.

I'm looking at a FSC556 from PWS for the muzzle. Seems like there are a lot of good comments on here about that.

a1fabweld
08-31-2009, 4:54 AM
I'd just buy another colt upper (6920 or 6721). Or, build another upper using a BCM or similar upper with the rail of your choice & flash hider. Then you don't have to butcher your current upper.

Acorn556
08-31-2009, 5:04 AM
Colt 6940. Sames as the 6920 but California legal and has tactical rail setup
Noveske N6 Light
S&W M&P15 whichever version you prefer

If its a partol rifle you could buy a simple RRA or DPMS and put it in there but if it were up to me I'd go with one of the three above. I'm partial to S&W since it's the only brand of gun I've ever known but they just work for me. Never really had a problem.

paladin4415
08-31-2009, 5:28 AM
I'm a patrol officer and currently running a Colt MT6731. I'm thinking of making some modifications to it to make it better for use as my patrol rifle.

What will your agency allow?

What do you guys think I should do with the barrel? Right now I'm thinking a comp/flash hider (by sending it in to be threaded, cut down, and pinned), and a 9" larue rail system- taking off the A2 front sight and putting on a flip up.

A complete new Colt upper would be my first choice. If you don't want to do that, You can have your barrel modified. I would have it re-profiled lighter and have it cut and threaded at 14.5" and have a flash hider like the Phantom or Vortex pinned on. Anything with a comp is generally frowned upon for LE use. I my opinion, a fixed front sight is better on a patrol rifle. There are several good rail choices that don't require any mod to your rifle. If you are still using the A2 stock I would consider a good adjustable (CTR / Sopmod or the like) if they are allowed by your agency.

Weight and $$ is not too much of an issue.

Weight should always be an issue...lighter is better. Nice not to have $$ concerns.

Jwood562
08-31-2009, 7:18 PM
First and foremost glad to hear that you are OK after being in an OIS.

well to different ways to go about it.

build a new upper or modify/take apart your upper now.

I would suggest building/buying another upper rather than cutting and threading your stock barrel.

use your stock colt upper and rebuilding it with a new barrel, larue handguard and either a standard FSB or flip up is easily do able and your rifle will not be out of service because rebuilding an upper is aneasy afternoon job (if you have the right tools).

just rember to get a lo-pro gas block if you decide to go with a 9" rail system and flip up front sight.

what ammo are you using BTW

mds2004
08-31-2009, 7:30 PM
If you really like your current upper you can just build a new upper. Where abouts are you located? If you do not have the tools, we can help each other.

For your case Id buy a stripped upper, the 16" operator barrel from Denny at Global Tactical, a PWS FSC556, and a rail of your choice.

aplinker
08-31-2009, 7:39 PM
For a patrol rifle I would not do extreme modifications, nor would I want to go too far off on parts (away from Colt). I also would not encourage you to use a modified barrel for a patrol rifle. You're better off installing something new.

I would NOT suggest dumping the fixed FSB for many reasons (simplicity and strength being the two big ones).

My preference would be a Colt 6520 barrel with your upper. If you want, you could swap the FSB for the 0.625" FSB, but it's really unnecessary. Add a Daniel Defense Lite 9.0 FSP rail and you'll have a very light, very comfortable, fantastic fighting upper. Mate it with a T-1 Aimpoint Micro on LaRue and a Troy flip or a simple fixed rear sight (Troy, DD, LaRue).

Alternatively, just add the DD lite rail 9.0 FSP rail with the barrel you have.

Acorn556
08-31-2009, 8:44 PM
First and foremost glad to hear that you are OK after being in an OIS.
I would suggest building/buying another upper rather than cutting and threading your stock barrel.

use your stock colt upper and rebuilding it with a new barrel, larue handguard and either a standard FSB or flip up is easily do able and your rifle will not be out of service because rebuilding an upper is aneasy afternoon job (if you have the right tools).

just rember to get a lo-pro gas block if you decide to go with a 9" rail system and flip up front sight.

what ammo are you using BTW

So buy a different upper but strip this one of everything but the Ejection Port door? THAT makes sense.

Just build what you want after working for 4-9 months. Then you'll know now. No need to buy rails if you cant use them or sle youre paying for expensive handguards.

God Bless The Mauser
08-31-2009, 8:51 PM
If it was a rifle that saved my life I would certainly want to hang on to it.

nobody33
08-31-2009, 9:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm using Federal TRU 223 JHP 55 grain rounds that my department requires. I have a 6940, it's a good gun, and I gave it to my wife to use as her patrol rifle. I can't switch out uppers, per policy. I can mod my current one.