PDA

View Full Version : considering selling my AR.

ChrisO
08-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Im considering selling my AR Im just about done with BB's so Im thinking for how much my AR costed me I can sell and go with a featureless AK and maybe a optic or maybe sell my AR and get some extra scratch and go with a springfield scout I have pre bans for both guns as I have a Loaded M1A. What do you guys think how the AK stands u next to the AR as a defense SHTF carbine type weapon? and feel free to post pics of youre AK's or springfield scouts!

series8217
08-30-2009, 11:37 PM
So you picked an AR over an AK in the first place.... then why not make your AR featureless instead of selling it and buying an AK to go featureless?

ChrisO
08-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes I did get a AR over a AK and why im considering going with a AK now is it is MUCH cheaper and I can probably sell my AR and get a optic to put on the AK like a scout set up and have a pretty nice defensive carbine/truck gun thats what my AR is but its just running a MBUS and a regular FSP and the extra oomh and cheaper ammo would be cool.

69Mach1
08-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Saiga's are Russian AK's that are already CA featurless and won't break the bank.Their even set up to accept a scope mount. You can convert them to accept your prebans with not much work or money.

DanHuuN
08-30-2009, 11:50 PM
I vote...KEEP THE AR...either change it to a feature-less or take the time to build up the AK.....

Sellers remorse is a gunny's worst nightmare

ChrisO
08-30-2009, 11:51 PM
I would also like the build experience and to have a gun that is not stamped all over with serial numbers or else I would go the saiga route.

ChrisO
08-30-2009, 11:52 PM
it's not so much the time being the issue its the money thats why I said selling the AR going with a AK and optic right now im running a AR with no optic I could sell and build a AK get a optic and buy some ammo :).

thefinger
08-30-2009, 11:53 PM
AR15 is a superior weapon. But if you want to try something else and have some money left over, then go for the AK and a decent optic. Ak's are fun to shoot, and lend themselves to a featureless/trunk gun much better than a BB'd AR.

The worst thing that happens is you sell the AK and get your money back minus some ppt fees. You can always get another AR15 if you think you made a bad choice.

Personally, I just sold my AR15 and decided to get a used kel-tec su216 to try out. I was tired of not getting to use my pre-ban 30 rounders. People might rag on my choice, but i've got a lot more money in my checking account and a .223 rifle with 30 round detachable mags. If I get tired of the kel-tec I'll sell it and get another AR. Whats the big deal?

DanHuuN
08-30-2009, 11:55 PM
it's not so much the time being the issue its the money thats why I said selling the AR going with a AK and optic right now im running a AR with no optic I could sell and build a AK get a optic and buy some ammo :).

Time, can accumulate more money....

I understand your reasoning...

I run Irons on a few of my AR's and ONLY irons on my AK's....

I just see an Optic for an AK necessary...IMO of course

ChrisO
08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
I like the Irons of a AK A LOT better than irons on a AR as well I was thinking of running a Micro T1 or something on the AK or even a EOTECH.

DanHuuN
08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
I like the Irons of a AK A LOT better than irons on a AR as well I was thinking of running a Micro T1 or something on the AK or even a EOTECH.

+1 on a Micro.....I run 2...

Design a gun you love......AR, AK, M1A, 700, 1911, Glock, Sig, Bersa....

luchador768
08-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Take your time and get all three! I am always very pleased to look in the safe and see my own Noah's ark of "black rifles!" A pair of AK's, AR's and M1a's. Keep the AR and save for an AK, you have to have something else you can sell!

fusionstar
08-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Yea.. the AR is getting boring huh? I already sold most of my AR's and if this next build doesn't tickle my fancy, I think Im just gonna build a 20" m16a4 clone and call it a day.http://www.colt.com/mil/images/M16.jpg

I just cant get BRD, I'm just immune to it, those russian weapons on the other hand.. gets my mouth watering just thinking about it. I love having an ar for its ergonomics.. but everyone and their grandmother has one or in alot of cases 5...

fusionstar
08-31-2009, 1:00 AM
Take your time and get all three! I am always very pleased to look in the safe and see my own Noah's ark of "black rifles!" A pair of AK's, AR's and M1a's. Keep the AR and save for an AK, you have to have something else you can sell!

Yea.. one of your kidneys, maybe be a surrogate mother(if you had a uterus of course), Medical experiments are always paying. Sell your blood and the magic swimmers.

sonicbuff
08-31-2009, 2:07 AM
AR or AK can be converted to featureless easily, just use a MM grip and remove the AW features.

Cheap AKs are big disappointments. A quality AK can cost as much as a descend AR. For the 7.62x39, personally, I'd skip the AK and go after the VZ58. For the rest, it's pretty much hit-n-miss with cheap AKs.

IMHO, AR15 is a good platform for training and improving marksmanship, at a lower cost. AK is cheaper if you don't care about precision.

Richie Caketown
08-31-2009, 2:20 AM
Get rid of AR paperweight and buy an R700 or GSG5 :)

ZombieKiller
08-31-2009, 4:58 AM
If you have more than 1 AR- sell it. You can always build another.........

They are great weapons- but there are other platforms out there that you may like...

If it is your only AR....hold on to it till you build another.

Acorn556
08-31-2009, 6:40 AM

So the problem is the optic not the gun? Irons are accurate out to 600m so that shouldn't break the bank. I know there are some AR Iron Sights that are the same design as the AK if you like the sights more. I'm not a big AK fan, don't know why just am, and I'm really into my AR right now. It's a KISS/first build/dont care if it scratches gun. IF it's just an optic thing wait a few months and find one when you've got cash sitting around.

4thSBCT
08-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Do it. Like someone said before you can have an AK and sooo much more for the price of one AR and for SHTF you can't beat the AK

Rob454
08-31-2009, 5:31 PM
You can also pick up a SKS which I think are way better built than a stamped receiver AK. Doesn't look as tactial but I think they're better overall.