PDA

View Full Version : El Dorado County, candidates opinions on CCW

Merle
08-30-2009, 11:20 PM
Here's an excerpt of the article running on the Sacramento Bee. Not everyone had a notable or quotable but:

All candidates said they would support legislation to make California a "shall issue" state, saying it would eliminate inconsistencies among jurisdictions and perceived inequities and biases in the process.

John D'Agostini, an investigator with the Amador County District Attorney's Office and a former Amador County sheriff's deputy said, "Self-protection, simple as that."

Larry Hennick, who served 32 years with the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department, "U.S. citizen." His policy, Hennick said, would be "apply and receive."

Stan Perez, retired chief of the California Highway Patrol's Valley Division: "You won't have to define good cause," he told potential applicants. "I will have already done that for you."

Stan Perez's opinion bothers me. Not sure why. It may be the potential for narrowing choices as "good cause". But it could be check any of the above and you're granted one.

thatrogue
08-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Here's an excerpt of the article running on the Sacramento Bee. Not everyone had a notable or quotable but:

All candidates said they would support legislation to make California a "shall issue" state, saying it would eliminate inconsistencies among jurisdictions and perceived inequities and biases in the process.

John D'Agostini, an investigator with the Amador County District Attorney's Office and a former Amador County sheriff's deputy said, "Self-protection, simple as that."

Larry Hennick, who served 32 years with the El Dorado County Sheriff's Department, "U.S. citizen." His policy, Hennick said, would be "apply and receive."

Stan Perez, retired chief of the California Highway Patrol's Valley Division: "You won't have to define good cause," he told potential applicants. "I will have already done that for you."

Stan Perez's opinion bothers me. Not sure why. It may be the potential for narrowing choices as "good cause". But it could be check any of the above and you're granted one.

I would like to pick Stans brain a Little but i like the general direction here.

Gray Peterson
08-31-2009, 3:06 AM

Larry Hennick is wrong. Discriminating against green card holders is completely unconstitutional. Say v. Adams, NRA v. State of Washington.

HondaMasterTech
08-31-2009, 9:02 AM
Larry Hennick is wrong. Discriminating against green card holders is completely unconstitutional. Say v. Adams, NRA v. State of Washington.

I was there and I dont think he meant it that way.

Hogxtz
08-31-2009, 9:03 AM
John D'Agostini was impressive to me. He spoke from the heart and truly backs gun rights. Larry Hennick was imprressive too.

Casual Observer
08-31-2009, 10:15 AM
Very different socio-economic and geographical area than say, LA though. Besides Placerville and South Lake Tahoe, I don't think there's any sizable population centers in El Dorado Co. is there?

Of course, elitist like Baca and Hutchens like having control over their fiefdoms. Putting CCW in the hands of a state (rather than county) agency like most other states would only take away from that power.

Glock22Fan
08-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Dorsey (aka Engleburt Humperdink) v. LVMPD

HUTCH 7.62
08-31-2009, 11:01 AM
IMO Sacramento, San Francisco, LA, Richmond, East Palo Alto and Oakland would benefite from CCW. God knows I conceled carried when I lived in EPA. Never got F'ed with.

rugit
08-31-2009, 1:14 PM
... Besides Placerville and South Lake Tahoe, I don't think there's any sizable population centers in El Dorado Co. is there? ...

El Dorado Hills and Cameron park both have populations that are officially greater than both South Lake and Placerville. although during the early summer tourism months Tahoe doubles in size. Placerville area though is pretty big and has a lot of little towns that surround it.

Gray Peterson
08-31-2009, 1:35 PM
Dorsey (aka Engleburt Humperdink) v. LVMPD

You wouldn't happen to have the district court decision in .pdf format or anything like that would you?

HondaMasterTech
08-31-2009, 2:43 PM
I would like to pick Stans brain a Little but i like the general direction here.

He basically said that we all have equal good cause.

Bob Ragen
08-31-2009, 3:11 PM

I was there also and Larry Hennick's statement did not at all come across in this manner.

dantodd
08-31-2009, 4:41 PM
When you ask a politician a question you can be pretty sure he will try to give a slightly different answer than the person who went immediately before him. I'm sure that much of the confusion is caused by people not wanting to say "I'd do the same as my opponent" but also wanting to support liberal CCW issuance.

HondaMasterTech
08-31-2009, 4:57 PM
One candidate said it would be suicide to say no ccw at a ccw forum. They all said shall issue in one way or another. The question becomes ,if any, who is lying?

Pthfndr
08-31-2009, 7:52 PM
Here's a longer article with more details.

http://www.edcgop.com/index.cfm/press_release_238.htm

Posted: Monday, August 31, 2009

By Ken Paglia, Mountain Democrat

There’s one issue you won’t get the seven candidates for El Dorado County Sheriff to disagree on - Carry Concealed Weapons licenses.

The candidates articulated mostly the same message, with some subtle differences, to a crowd of over 600 people Thursday night at a CCW forum put on by the El Dorado County Republican Central Committee.

The issue has been a hot button lately as numerous residents have said they had difficulty renewing CCW licenses. The Mountain Democrat received several letters to the editor from those residents.
All of the candidates Thursday night expressed a desire to make CCWs more easily obtainable.

But one candidate Thursday night - Larry Hennick - seemed to beat the drum a little louder. With several one-liners, Hennick received energetic rounds of applause from a crowd that very obviously responded well to a pro-CCW message.

For example, the moderator, Assemblyman Ted Gaines, asked the candidates to outline their criteria for receiving a CCW permit. Hennick, who stood up in his seat and placed a hand on one hip, said demonstratively, “Two words: Apply and receive.” He received a roar of applause from the audience. Hennick is a 30-plus year veteran of the El Dorado County Sheriff’s Department.

Candidate Craig Therkildsen answered the question by saying, “Our policy can be streamlined, and made more user friendly ... It will be very simple, ... there’s really simple ways to deal with it.” Therkildsen is currently a captain with the Sheriff’s Department.

Candidate Ernie Hillman said, “As your sheriff, we will have a policy to address people’s needs to have CCWs in this county ... I want to make it as streamlined and user friendly as possible.” Hillman is a 29-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Department.

All of the candidates Thursday night expressed a desire to make CCWs more easily obtainable.

Moderator Ted Gaines also asked the candidates to define “good cause” in obtaining a CCW.

Hennick, again standing up and engaging the crowd, said, “It’s very simple: U.S. citizen ... If you’re a U.S. citizen, it’s your right, you meet (the criteria).” Hennick again received an enthusiastic round of applause.

To the same question, candidate George Nielsen said, “Good cause is personal protection and self-defense, period ... I would insist that staff members assigned to process licenses assist applicants in articulating good cause. The vast majority of applicants could with some help articulate good cause; living in a rural area, (or) past and present experience with personal danger.” Nielsen is currently the Placerville police chief.

Candidate John D’Agostini said, “It’s personal protection, simple as that. As sheriff ... I will have the ability to say what personal protection is. On the application if you’re willing to go through the background, pay the fees, take mandated training and are legally eligible ... then personal protection is good cause and the sheriff will issue the license.” D’Agostini is an investigator in Amador County, with family roots in El Dorado County.

Candidate Stan Perez said, “You will not have to define good cause under my leadership because I will have done that for you.” Perez recently retired as chief of the California Highway Patrol Valley Division.

During another question, Hennick stood up and said, “I want every man, woman and child to be in possession of a firearm.” The crowd was equally enthusiastic.

If one other candidate made waves Thursday night it was Bob Luca on the question of how the state should treat CCWs.

Hennick answered the question, “Shall issue is what we have a given right to.”

Luca, on his turn to speak, said, “We are not a ‘shall issue,’ and those at the table who say we can be a ‘shall issue’ county are ignoring state law. If a candidate is willing to break the law they shouldn’t be sheriff. Good cause can be interpreted in many ways, but we still have to follow the law.” Luca is a retired Bureau of Investigations chief.

California is a “may issue” state, which means that applicants must not only meet legal requirements, but also show “good cause” for needing a CCW. In “shall issue” states, like Texas and Florida, applicants can receive a license just by meeting the legal requirements.

The crowd was mostly silent after Luca’s answer, and he received at least one boo.

Hennick later responded, “As to whether I’d violate state law: Absolutely not.”

Current Sheriff Jeff Neves, in an interview earlier this month, explained that renewal applicants must show continuing good cause in order to renew CCW permits. He gave the example of a former business owner who obtained a CCW because he or she made large cash deposits. “That person may have since retired and no longer has a rational reason,” he said.

Neves said that a federal civil rights lawsuit two years ago prompted a slight change in his policy, making it necessary for renewal applicants to show a continuing need for the license.

Neves will not seek a third term in office. The primary election for El Dorado County sheriff will be held in June 2010, with the General Election in November.

HondaMasterTech
08-31-2009, 9:44 PM
When does the next sheriffs term begin?

nicki
09-01-2009, 2:55 AM
Perhaps you guys in El Dorado can create a new written model CCW program and give the candidates the opportunity to pledge to implement the policy.

Of course they can make the policy more lenient.

AB 2022 standardized the CCW process a few years back, sheriffs can make training from 4 to 16 hours. Live fire is not a requirement.

If you guys don't create a policy, one will be created for you.

Nicki

GuyW
09-01-2009, 2:58 AM
I hope y'all send Luca back to Red China where he belongs...

Larry Hennick
09-02-2009, 8:11 PM
Let me set the record straight, what I said and have said for my entire career is that; "All Law Abiding Citizens" have the right to have a CCW License
I have never said or intimated that anyone possessing a valid green card could not, my statement of good cause being "A US Citizen" meant just that all who are here legally "Apply and Receive".
My position is just that we are all given rights and no Sheriff should be able to add restrictions upon the citizens of the county that they live in.
It has been proven that "An armed Society is Safe and Secure", all the statics prove this in all states that are "A Carry State". All have reduced crime against people and property. With forty states in line step and the figures to sustain it, we all can"t deny that "criminals don"t approach or confront armed citizens". With Law Enforcement numbers being lessened across our land, we as citizens must rise to the occasion, that will make us all safe and secure; in our homes, at work, travel and all points to and from.
To conclude every person "has the right to keep and bear arms" as guaranteed by our US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Please fee free to contact me if there is anything that I can be of assistance with @-- l.hennick@yahoo.com or visit my web site --www.larryhennick.com

Thank you for your comments and interest in my campaign for Sheriff.

HondaMasterTech
09-02-2009, 8:22 PM
I attended the forum. I could clearly see your sincerity on the subject. I don't think anyone there doubted it. Best of luck.

Hogxtz
09-02-2009, 8:35 PM
Welcome Larry. He's the only canidate that I have seen take the effort to enter the forums. I am not supporting anyone yet, but I can say I have known Larry for 23 years. I have even received training from Larry, in a Reserve academy and also weaponless defense. He is a stand up guy who always backed up what he said and he is a straight shooter, ( no pun intended). I can say that he really knows his stuff and has an impressive record working narcotics, his specialty. I have zero doubt that he is a 100% staunch supporter of 2A. Again, I have not decided who I am supporting yet and am not affiliated with any canidate, but I can definatley say that Larry is a stand up guy, extremely experianced, and not a politician. If he say's it, he means it.
Welcome Larry, lets see if you can figure out who I am?? hehehe

I too was at the meeting, and I know what you said, and you did very well.

Glock22Fan
09-02-2009, 8:37 PM
Thank you for clearing that up. Those of us who are particularly aware of this subject know that when some sheriffs say "citizens," they exclude legal residents. Indeed, some say so openly in their policies.

artherd
09-02-2009, 8:43 PM
Let me set the record straight, what I said and have said for my entire career is that; "All Law Abiding Citizens" have the right to have a CCW License

Welcome to Calguns Larry! Good luck in your race!
-Ben.

Larry Hennick
09-02-2009, 9:11 PM
Thank you so much for being a strong supporter of all our rights and I think Mike might be able to shine some light on those who just go along to get along and say only what is popular or wiil get them by.

leadchucker
09-02-2009, 10:53 PM
To the same question, candidate George Nielsen said, “Good cause is personal protection and self-defense, period ... I would insist that staff members assigned to process licenses assist applicants in articulating good cause. The vast majority of applicants could with some help articulate good cause; living in a rural area, (or) past and present experience with personal danger.” Nielsen is currently the Placerville police chief.

O.K. So, "personal protection and self-defense, period"?? Oh, wait! What's with the period? If he truly believes personal protection and self-defense were good enough causes....PERIOD...then why the need for further "articulation"?!!! Sounds like he's really saying, "Good cause is personal protection and self-defense, but only if you are able to articulate a present 'need'....period." Sounds like Orange County, eh?

leadchucker
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
And this one sounds like typical political double-talk. Think like a politician.

Candidate Stan Perez said, “You will not have to define good cause under my leadership because I will have done that for you.” Perez recently retired as chief of the California Highway Patrol Valley Division.

So, tell him what you think your good cause is, and he'll see if it matches his definition. Notice he completely avoided answering the question!!!

Moderator Ted Gaines also asked the candidates to define “good cause” in obtaining a CCW.

Again, Mr. Perez, how, exactly, do you define "good cause"?!

Hogxtz
09-02-2009, 11:56 PM
+1 leadchucker, Luca and Perez displayed the typical political double talk and that doesn't fly well in El Dorado Co.

BTW, remember that only two canidates felt it important enough to actually show up at the BOS CCW resolution hearing. According to the news paper article Hennick and Di Agostini were there. Actions speak louder than words. And I heard Hennick actually took the podium and expressed his support to the supervisors for a "shall issue" type of situation for the county.

GuyW
09-03-2009, 1:16 AM
Welcome Larry. He's the only canidate that I have seen take the effort to enter the forums.

No, Jay La Suer, candidate for Sheriff of San Diego County posts here....

IIRC, Bill Hunt, candidate for Sheriff of Orange County has posted here...

But welcome, in any case.....

Gray Peterson
09-03-2009, 1:25 AM
I have never said or intimated that anyone possessing a valid green card could not, my statement of good cause being "A US Citizen" meant just that all who are here legally "Apply and Receive".
My position is just that we are all given rights and no Sheriff should be able to add restrictions upon the citizens of the county that they live in.
It has been proven that "An armed Society is Safe and Secure", all the statics prove this in all states that are "A Carry State". All have reduced crime against people and property. With forty states in line step and the figures to sustain it, we all can"t deny that "criminals don"t approach or confront armed citizens". With Law Enforcement numbers being lessened across our land, we as citizens must rise to the occasion, that will make us all safe and secure; in our homes, at work, travel and all points to and from.
To conclude every person "has the right to keep and bear arms" as guaranteed by our US Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Please fee free to contact me if there is anything that I can be of assistance with @-- l.hennick@yahoo.com or visit my web site --www.larryhennick.com

Mr Hennick,

Thank you for your clarification that those lawfully present can get CCW's. I do wish you luck on your campaign.

Hogxtz
09-03-2009, 5:39 AM
No, Jay La Suer, candidate for Sheriff of San Diego County posts here....

IIRC, Bill Hunt, candidate for Sheriff of Orange County has posted here...

But welcome, in any case.....

Thank you for the input very much. I guess I was not clear. I was referring to the Sheriff's applicants running for El Dorado Co, NOT any Sheriff. But thank you anyways.

Larry Hennick
09-03-2009, 8:34 AM
Again to set the record straight, I was the only candidate to be at the BOS resolution hearing and I stood up to address the BOS, Bob Luca came after it was over and did nothing nor did he address those in attendance. As you have noticed the other candidates said only what they thought the public wanted to hear and they will not rock the boat as they really believe that the current EDSO policy is just fine. In addition Therkildsen is on record saying that "He would never issue a CCW to a citizen as it would be dangerous and a liability for the Sheriff. (Where have we heard that before?) That is Sheriff Neves' statement and in the Mt. Democrat, so it's just the same policy with the remaining candidates, funny how they all agreed with each other. I will always stand for the rights of all citizens and the rights afforded to all gun owners. Again thank you for this conversation site.

leadchucker
09-03-2009, 9:16 AM
And this one sounds like typical political double-talk. Think like a politician.

So, tell him what you think your good cause is, and he'll see if it matches his definition. Notice he completely avoided answering the question!!!

Again, Mr. Perez, how, exactly, do you define "good cause"?!

On second thought, and in all fairness to this candidate, I was not there to hear his full answer, in which he may very well have given his definition of good cause. Just based on the posted excerpts, some followup by the voters would be in order at least.

lead chucker
09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
I attended the forum. I could clearly see your sincerity on the subject. I don't think anyone there doubted it. Best of luck.

I was there as well, and agree with that!

Larry, thanks for joining the forum and clarifying your position. I hope you stick around! I have not settled on a candidate at this time, but you are certainly one of the front runners. Good luck with your campaign!

Pthfndr
09-03-2009, 7:14 PM
I was unable to attend the meeting, but when Larry ran against Neves he got my vote. I had the opportunity to hear him at meeting back then and was impressed.

Larry also had the backing of former Sheriff Pacileo, who I know casually from shooting at the range. If Dick thought he was the best man for the job that carries a lot of weight.

Larry Hennick
09-03-2009, 8:53 PM
Thanks for all of your support. I will continue to support individual gun rights as best I can.

Dirtbozz
09-03-2009, 9:07 PM
I live in LA County. I could only wish that I had to choose between candidates and decide which one was the most pro CCW.

I humbley suggest that you pick the most pro freedom, pro Constitution, pro self defence candidate. You cannot go wrong on that one.

:eek::79:

Merle
09-03-2009, 10:06 PM
I live in LA County. I could only wish that I had to choose between candidates and decide which one was the most pro CCW.

I had to laugh at that one. Wouldn't it be interesting to see the "loser" then campaign in various counties when it comes time to re-elect Sheriff's?

Larry Hennick
09-08-2009, 7:01 AM
Hello and I hope everyone had a happy Labor Day and enjoyed a Labor free day, all my best to you and the very best in the days to come....

lead chucker
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
If anyone is interested the video of the Forum has been posted.

http://www.edcgop.com/index.cfm/ccwforum.htm

elknt
10-23-2009, 9:40 PM
This is a good website and some good topics. I attended the CCW forum and have spoken with most of the candidates. Like somebody else already said, actions do speak louder than words.

One candidate has been a Police Chief for 5+ years and has the legal authority to issue CCWs. To date, he has not issued 1 single CCW license and has sent all applicants to the Sheriff's Dept. This is not a pro-CCW candidate.

Another candidate works at the Sheriff's Department and has previously told citizen(s) there is no way he will ever issue a CCW permit because he doesn't feel they have the right and because they are a liability to any Sheriff's Department. This candidate is also planning on promoting the Sheriff's Captain who denies most CCWs as his Undersheriff if he is elected. This candidate is definitely not pro-CCW.

Another candidate claims he "retired" as a CHP Chief and he will "define" what just cause for a CCW is for you but somehow failed to state just what that was at the forum. As somebody else already said, hopefully you meet that arbitrary criteria (probably not). This candidate also lists the CHP offices as his headquarters which obviously is not true. This candidate is also not pro-CCW.

Another candidate worked for the Attorney General's Office and said we need to be careful about issuing too many CCWs or there could be a backlash by the legislature. This caused the crowd to actually boo this candidate at the CCW forum. It also appears to be the same approach taken by the Police Chief who didn't issue CCWs when he could. Many gunowners attending the CCW forum figured out that this guy was not pro-CCW.

Gunowners who live in El Dorado County should carefully consider what each candidate said, check on what they have actually done and then vote pro-gun. Gunowners outside of El Dorado County should pick the best Pro-gun/CCW candidate and at least let him use your name as a supporter. If possible, donate a few bucks as the more Pro-CCW Sheriffs we elect, California will be better off and we will have more pro-CCW Law Enforcement voices to speak to the legislature and governor on our behalf.

Larry Hennick
04-18-2010, 6:14 PM
Hello everyone, I hope all is well and I am looking forward to the election on 6/8/10

Please vote in this election and we will all win

My policy on CCW licenses is and will always be: "Apply and Receive"

Thank you for your vote for me for El Dorado County Sheriff in 2010 :rolleyes:

HondaMasterTech
04-18-2010, 8:29 PM
When is the new sheriffs first day in office?

Havoc70
04-18-2010, 8:55 PM
Guess it's time to start looking for a rental property in El Dorado County. Ugh, my commute would suck, but ya know, I'd gladly do it.

HUTCH 7.62
04-18-2010, 9:50 PM
Wish we were talikin about santa Clara co.

darkknight
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
stay away from stan and hennick there just bad news.

HondaMasterTech
04-19-2010, 11:23 AM
If I recall correctly Stan Perez dropped out of the election.

I would like to hear what you know about Larry Hennick and why he should not get anyones vote.

MommaJune
04-30-2010, 5:14 PM
If I recall correctly Stan Perez dropped out of the election.

I would like to hear what you know about Larry Hennick and why he should not get anyones vote.

Larry Hennick has my vote. He does not "beat around the bush" to any CCW question. He's not only straight forward in his answers but will explain in further detail. So far as I have seen, he's the only EDC candidate who has openly approached and shown his support for US in these forums. Show me otherwise, please.

And I would not trust someone, like the previous poster (not you HondaMasterTech), who spits out a statement and doesn't step up and explain her/himself: Educate us, or get educated.

Roadrunner
04-30-2010, 5:32 PM

Or it could be that the choices that he chooses for you generally don't apply to anyone except the narrowest of applicants.

NorCalMama
04-30-2010, 5:42 PM

Ummm, not having been there, and likewise, I assume you weren't either, I'm just basing this off of what I read. I believe he meant as long as you aren't an illegal alien. Also, he stated that if you apply he'll issue. WHAT is wrong with that???!!!! We need a Sheriff in every county like that!

Larry Hennick
04-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Just for clarification my statement for good cause was simple "US Citizen" this was not meant to exclude legal aliens (green card holders). My policy is simple "apply and recieve". Thanks for all of the positive discussion on this important constitutional right.

Larry Hennick
05-10-2010, 10:04 PM
This last Saturday the Sacramento Bee endorsed George Nielson and named Bob Luca and Craig Therkildsen as runners up. Larry not having received an interview we e-mailed the editor of the editorial section and asked about the criteria for the endorsement and found that the main reason they did not consider Larry was his stance on issuing concealed weapons licesnses. This sure clarifies what three candidates are not CCW friendly doesnt it. I have the e-mail if any of you want a copy just send us a note on l.hennick@yahoo.com. Thanks again for all of your support!!!:taz:Teresa and Larry.

Larry Hennick
05-13-2010, 6:39 AM
Just a quick note, there is one last debate set for 5/23/10 @ The Pleasant Valley Grange
Starting @ 1:30pm and lasting until 4:30 or so. This will be # 20 for the candidates and should be interesting to say the least, plan to attend if you are able and thanks for all the support/attention that has been given to this race for El Dorado County Sheriff.

Vote on 6/8/10 "It's Your Right" "Apply and Receive" Thank you; Larry Hennick candidate

sh0t1
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
This is coming up.

RUM
05-26-2010, 1:28 PM
I got the NRA postcard endorsing Hennick (A+ I think). No other candidates responded to NRA's questionaire.

lead chucker
05-26-2010, 3:55 PM
I, and my family, will be voting for Larry Hennick.

<edit> Oh , and Sacramento Bee? Butt out!

Larry Hennick
05-27-2010, 7:50 AM
Thank You to each and everyone who has voted absentee and who will vote on 6/8/10
I am so proud to be in this race for Sheriff of El Dorado County and I will uphold all my stated goals and objectives and fight for gun owners rights.. Again Thank You All