PDA

View Full Version : Shortest Ca legal AR?

ArcLight
08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I am in the process of putting together another AR, since I already have 2 with 16" barrels I have decided to build a more compact version. I would like to use a 7.5" or 10.5" barrel. My question is what does the overall length of the rifle have to be to be Ca legal? I plan on using a spikes fake can.

69Mach1
08-30-2009, 10:16 PM
NFA limits your barrel to 16 inches min. CA has an Over All Length of 30 inches min to not be considered an assault weapon. Go with an AR pistol and don't look back. :)

ArcLight
08-30-2009, 10:24 PM
If I get a 7.5" barrel and an 8.5" can = 16" would that be legal?

Jicko
08-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Min OAL of a centerfire rifle in CA is 30".

Min length of a barrel, per NFA, is 16".

If I get a 7.5" barrel and an 8.5" can = 16" would that be legal?

Yes. Be SURE that they are permanently attached per NFA rules.

I am in the process of putting together another AR, since I already have 2 with 16" barrels I have decided to build a more compact version.

The more compact(and most effective, in terms of barrel length, lethality) than ur 16", and is still a rifle, will be a 14.5" w/ a perm muzzle device that bring it to 16"; or a 16" barrel w/ a thread protector. Other than than, you would have to venture into the AR-pistol realm, not more butt-stock....

DanHuuN
08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
What Jicko said!!!!! Welcome back Jicko...haven't seen you in these parts lately...

Jicko
08-30-2009, 10:41 PM
What Jicko said!!!!! Welcome back Jicko...haven't seen you in these parts lately...

Thanks bro.

I have been really, really busy with competitions, trainings, business travels, personal travels etc ever since early July.....

leelaw
08-30-2009, 10:47 PM
If the fake can is permanently attached (welded, blind pinned, silver soldered in place) then it's ok to use to make up the minimum length. I'd be wary of using such a long fake can as a barrel extension, though. It makes it more likely that it can decrease the report, however slightly, which brings you into NFA and California silencer issues.

Get a 16" barrel, and add on an 8.5" can that mounts flush on the muzzle, then covers the barrel. It won't result in a questionable muzzle attachment, you won't have to permanently attach it, and you'll retain the velocity and accuracy of the longer barrel.

fusionstar
08-30-2009, 10:53 PM
I would suggest what leelaw said

if you really like that fake can look, I would suggest 16" with a removable fake can that shrouds your barrel and never passes the muzzle. Even fake cans will alter the sound a bit. And plus. You'll have significant range and less muzzle blast unlike if you were running the 7.5 AND they would look almost exactly identical.

69Mach1
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
If the short barreled look is what you're after, just buy a Spikes slip on fake can.
http://www.lanworldinc.com/M420Carbine20.png

You can't get any more compact than a 16in barrel and collapsible stock, not in CA anyway.

Josh3239
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
If you want a short barreled AR you should get an AR pistol. It is essentially the same thing as a short barrelled rifle only you cannot have a buttstock (buffer tube is ok of course). PRK Arms can hook you up with that. I think there are two in the Marketplace.

69 Mach 1 makes a good point. You can get a 16'' barrel with the threads on the muzzle end of the can that way it looks as though the barrel is shorter than it really is and there is no issue with it being permanently attached.

69Mach1
08-30-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm telling ya, an AR pistol is a blast. Closest we'll ever get to an SBR in Cali.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2FQtimeFw4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2FQtimeFw4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>