View Full Version : Saiga 12 legality question (converted)

08-30-2009, 7:39 PM
Hi, i hope this is an appropriate question. I have a Saiga 12 with bullet button installed, a 10 rd clip, and a tapco intrafuse t6 stock and pistol grip. The stock has been permanently fixed in one position. It cannot be adjusted in any way. By all my reading/research, this is a legal configuration, but I want to be absolutely sure. The reason I am concerned is that in the Kasler list, there is a listing under 'kalashnakov usa' named 'Saiga.' If I understand this correctly, that is only identifying a rifle called 'Saiga' manufactured by Kalashnakov USA. However, I want to be absolutely sure.

Please forgive my paranoia, and thanks in advance...

08-30-2009, 8:46 PM
In order for a firearm to be banned by name it must be listed by both make and model. So the only Saiga banned by name is the one manufactured by Klashikov USA.

If your Saiga is RAA (Russian American Armory) or EAA, or any other manufacter you have not to worry as long as it is NOT Klashikov USA and you do not have any prohibited features pursuant to 12276.1

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action
of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a
detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

08-30-2009, 9:26 PM
Only the Kalashnikov USA Saiga is banned on the Kasler list.

Other Saigas are not considered listed, and as long as the configured features suite conforms to 12276.1PC, it's not an AW.

Also, there's a very good chance that ownership of even a Kalashnikov USA-mfged Saiga *shotgun* is defendable since the Kasler listing bans only the *rifle* - and for it to encompass rifles and shotguns implies a prohibited "series".

08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Excellent, thank you!