PDA

View Full Version : Sling adapter on AR pistol

NorCalRifleman
08-30-2009, 3:36 PM
I know you can't use a forward vertical grip on a pistol, but what about installing a picattiny sling adapter (w/sling) and grabbing it?

http://www.valhallaarmory.com/v/vspfiles/photos/MWMCTAR08-2T.jpg

It would be kinda like what they did with the MAC 10.

http://www.enemyforces.net/firearms/ingram_3.jpg

Would this be legal? I can't see why not, but always best to be on the safe side.

technique
08-30-2009, 3:42 PM
Legal. But I would use a whole sling to be safe.

But I would recommend you get a KAC handstop/sling mount.

Dr Rockso
08-30-2009, 3:50 PM
As I recall the NFA regs have wording along the lines of "concealable firearm designed to be fired with both hands." I don't know for sure either way, but I kind of doubt using a piece of strap as a foregrip would be kosher. If it's any consolation I think that would be a pretty useless setup for a semi-auto. If you used a regular sling (not just a piece of strap) it would be fine.

NorCalRifleman
08-30-2009, 3:52 PM
I would definitely use a full sling, the MAC 10 is just what gave me the idea (while watching Spies Like Us).
Yeah, that KAC rig would be perfect.

Untamed1972
08-31-2009, 10:55 AM
The front of the magwell makes a pretty convenient built-in forward grip area.

Kharn
08-31-2009, 12:59 PM
I forget if it's case law or an ATF regulation, but the Mac-style strap turns a pistol into an AOW (as it serves no other function than to allow a second hand to hold the weapon). A shoulder sling is permissible on the pistol, even if the shooter chooses to hold onto the front part.

Flopper
08-31-2009, 1:16 PM
Although that's technically a sling, I think I'd try to avoid being a test case by attaching the sling to the front and back of the pistol. Otherwise, I can see the BATFE having a lot of fun arguing in a courtroom that this is in effect a VFG.

I don't see why all these threads are coming up. If it's so important to have a pseudo-VFG, why don't people just find an FFL SOT 2 to transfer this as an AOW with a real VFG for a $5 tax stamp and dealer fee?

NorCalRifleman
08-31-2009, 4:06 PM
Although that's technically a sling, I think I'd try to avoid being a test case by attaching the sling to the front and back of the pistol. Otherwise, I can see the BATFE having a lot of fun arguing in a courtroom that this is in effect a VFG.

I don't see why all these threads are coming up. If it's so important to have a pseudo-VFG, why don't people just find an FFL SOT 2 to transfer this as an AOW with a real VFG for a $5 tax stamp and dealer fee?

First, I've already stated that my intent is to attach a full sling.

Second, some of us don't know about AOW laws, which is why we ask questions on Calguns, where MOST responses are constructive without trying to make the OP feel stupid.

Sick Boy
08-31-2009, 4:14 PM
I've seen those little magwell grips on some peoples AR pistols, are those kosher?

Kharn
09-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Flopper:
The Mac strap is not a sling, a sling must be usable to support the weight of the weapon over the shoulder.

Flopper
09-11-2009, 5:29 PM
First, I've already stated that my intent is to attach a full sling.

Second, some of us don't know about AOW laws, which is why we ask questions on Calguns, where MOST responses are constructive without trying to make the OP feel stupid.

1. I missed that you intended to use a full sling.

2. My response was far from NOT being constructive, and I keep trying to find the part in my reply which was presumably degrading.

I've had this and other similar conversations with several people who know the NFA laws, and yet still they insist on trying to skirt the laws. I apologize for having lumped you into that group.

NorCalRifleman
09-11-2009, 7:57 PM
I apologize for having lumped you into that group.

That's the only thing I really took offense at. I reacted harshly and I humbly apologize.