PDA

View Full Version : Just bent a Colt Upper Receiver Assembly, where to get a replacement.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2009, 1:19 PM
A customer and I were trying to install a Daniel Defense rail onto her Colt Upper and the delta ring was being difficult. We used a cheater with the wrench and eventually the actual upper bent! DOH!

So I am probably going to just use an upper receiver assembly from something I have around here to get her going, but she would like to eventually get back to a complete Colt upper.

So do you guys have any links to just complete stripped Colt upper receiver assemblies? Not a barrel or anything else. Just the upper receiver. At this point stripped or complete with the trap door and forwards assist.

Thanks for your help.

technique
08-30-2009, 1:24 PM
Can you be more specific please....IE flat-top, A2?

Technical Ted
08-30-2009, 1:29 PM
SAW Sales in Arizona

http://www.sawlesales.com/

Ken is a Colt authorized parts reseller and Colt factory armorer instructor.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2009, 1:32 PM
Can you be more specific please....IE flat-top, A2?

Thanks for asking. A4.

SAW Sales in Arizona

Perfect. Ted you are wonderful.

I knew things were going too smoothly, then we bent the thing. We still can't get the delta ring to budge. Any recommendations?

DanHuuN
08-30-2009, 1:35 PM
Oh wow, good luck with that one! (no smart-*** remark intended) OUCH though..

technique
08-30-2009, 1:36 PM
Ted got it right, that is the place to go....there are a few others but you should be able to get what you need from SA.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2009, 1:42 PM
Thanks guys. What a depressing way to finish the day. Oh well. That will just motivate me to get the right tools for getting delta rings off. Any recommendations?

Technical Ted
08-30-2009, 1:51 PM
Thanks guys. What a depressing way to finish the day. Oh well. That will just motivate me to get the right tools for getting delta rings off. Any recommendations?
Well the Delta ring goes onto the barrel after the barrel extension and alignment pin are in place, but before the Front Sight Base and Flash Suppressor are installed.

The Delta Ring is held in place by pressure from a spring pack (called a Weld Spring), which is in turn held in place by a snap ring.

Other than cutting the Delta Ring and bending it and the Weld Spring off, you would have to remove the handguards, gas tube, muzzle device and Front Sight Base from the barrel. Remove the barrel from the receiver. Remove the snap ring inside of the Delta Ring, then remove the Delta Ring and Weld Spring.

One may be able to remove the Delta Ring assembly from the upper receiver without removing the barrel, if you have a pair of 90 degree snap ring plier pins.

technique
08-30-2009, 1:52 PM

What were you using? I always find that if a barrel nut or delta ring is giving me some trouble.....a little heat goes a long way.

Ever try to take a FF tube off a RRA .458 SOCOM...for me, those have always been a bit more stubborn than anything else I have ever worked with...again, a little heat from a torch went a long way.

Technical Ted
08-30-2009, 2:12 PM
Doh! Completely spaced the Barrel Nut as part of the Delta Ring Assembly.

The snap ring retains the Weld Spring on the Barrel Nut and the Weld Spring holds the Delta Ring in place.

See attached image from the Tech Manual TM 9-1005-319-23&P

FYI "Weld Spring" is now called a Slip Ring Spring.

Cyclepath
08-30-2009, 2:36 PM
Saw one on Arfcom.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=704293

fusionstar
08-30-2009, 2:59 PM
I like how its made by colt and instantly worth 2.5x more than a similar upper receiver made with the SAME FORGINGS.

hawk1
08-30-2009, 3:16 PM
Wes I have an extra new complete delta pack if you need one. Can drop it in the mail first thing in the morning.
Let me know.

Pryde
08-30-2009, 3:50 PM
Brownells has them for about 40% less than SAW if you are a FFL or LEO.
But they only come in stock once every few months, if your customer doesn't mind waiting, you could place an order today and give it to her when they ship later in the year.

Pryde
08-30-2009, 3:51 PM
I like how its made by colt and instantly worth 2.5x more than a similar upper receiver made with the SAME FORGINGS.

Same forgings or not, the machining is what makes it more valuable. People are willing to pay extra for Colt because you know everything is in spec right away.

tenpercentfirearms
08-30-2009, 4:03 PM
I have delta rings. The delta ring is fine. I simply can't get the stinking ring and nut off. I can't believe it torqued that upper. I just ordered a new upper receiver vice block and wrench from Brownells. This unfortunately was my motivation to get my crap screwed on straight.

It figures it happens to my one female customer who knows her AR crap and likes the good stuff like Colt. Why couldn't this happen to anything else. I have a Mega upper sitting here I could have swapped out. Plus if it wan't Colt, it probably wouldn't be a witch to get off.

What a bummer. Oh well. It is just money.

Seesm
08-30-2009, 4:52 PM
I have seen the brownell "style" wrench even bend.

So we made a barrel nut wrench "we will be selling btw) that wraps all the way around the nut and we have no issues now...

We could make you one if need be.

Technical Ted
08-30-2009, 5:23 PM
Never had any issues with the >$20 USGI pattern barrel nut wrench and a breaker bar in 28 years.

dchang0
08-30-2009, 5:31 PM
Sorry to hear it, Wes.

Well, you ordered the correct tools, but if you ever run up against another particularly tight barrel nut, set up your long-handled whatever (breaker bar, extension pipe), and use a rubber mallet to tap the handle at the end, the point of maximum radius.

Small, repeated impacts using maximum torque will break the toughest nuts loose without threat of torsion stress/failure.

I used this method on wheel nuts on cars--those suckers are often rusted on.

paladin4415
08-30-2009, 6:25 PM
This guy has one for sale also.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=36753&highlight=colt

beast556
08-30-2009, 8:53 PM
There is an a4 colt diemaco upper for sale on the ar15.com EE right now.

SCMA-1
08-30-2009, 9:02 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how this happened.:confused: Were you trying to loosen the barrel nut itself and it was on too tight? I guess I just don't see how anything to do with the delta ring can lead to a bent upper. Sorry, I'm not being helpful at all; just for my information only.

mds2004
08-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I dont believe you. I will need pictures of this lady for proof.

tenpercentfirearms
08-31-2009, 5:25 AM
The delta ring is built around the barrel nut. I was removing the entire assembly to switch to a Daniel Defense rail.

gunshack
08-31-2009, 6:47 AM
I just ordered a new upper receiver vice block...

I prefer to clamp the barrel when installing/removing the barrel nut. I use the DPMS barrel vise blocks and clamp as close to the barrel extension as I can get, yet leave room for the tool.

Clamping on a burly steel rod gives me a warm fuzzy feeling I just don't get from clamping on a thin aluminum forging.

tenpercentfirearms
09-05-2009, 8:25 PM
I got this in the mail from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22385/Product/AR_15_M16_UPPER_RECEIVER_ACTION_BLOCK

and

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24190/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_STYLE__308_ARMORERS_WRENCH

So yesterday I decided to try it again. Worked like a charm! Too bad I had to figure it out the hard way. Now to get the upper and get this bad boy fixed.

Phanuel
09-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I'll be honest, how does an gunshop that sells AR not have both those items?

Richie Caketown
09-05-2009, 10:52 PM

lol ^

+2 on whoever said to cut off the delta ring , i did mine like that for my free floater

mds2004
09-06-2009, 12:10 AM

He doesnt build them. He just sell them. I know because I just called for headspace gauges a few days ago.

G17GUY
09-06-2009, 12:41 AM
Where did it bend at?:useless:

Phanuel
09-06-2009, 7:02 AM
He doesnt build them. He just sell them. I know because I just called for headspace gauges a few days ago.

I mean I get that, but for roughly $60 in tools you can start installing different rails, change barrels, etc etc and do some more business on the side for customers. That's all I'm curious about.

tenpercentfirearms
09-06-2009, 7:17 AM
Maybe I didn't make it clear at the start. I had a upper block. However, it wasn't a good one. It was similar to this but all plastic.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=878754

Well during the panic when I was installing Daniel Defense rails on any 16" upper that came through and charging full MSRP on everything and no one was batting an eye and forking out the money, I ran into a RRA that finally defeated this block. It cracked the block, which torqued the front and rear pin holes and cracked the rear of the upper.

Luckily RRA sent out a replacement and that mistake only cost me about $100. I figured out that if I sandwiched a flattop upper between the broken block and a piece of wood on its side, it seemed to be better supported.

Until this Colt came along. I again had the lesson rammed home when this one torqued on the weakly supported strip of metal below the dust cover.

So I have had tools to work on uppers and I have been installing rails for quite some time. I have just been lucky most of the time.

Now I am feeling much more confident.

And I just got in a headspace no go gauge too!

When I get back to the shop, I will go ahead and take pictures of all of this and make a new thread. A little what not to do with pictures.

SAW Sales in Arizona

Ken got back to me and said he had an upper in stock and he would even take the barrel off for me. I e-mailed him back to ask for a shipping address and asked if I could pay him to put the DD rail on. That might have been over extending it because I never heard back from him. In fairness maybe my e-mail got spam blocked, but I don't know.
This guy has one for sale also.
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=36753&highlight=colt
This guy got back to me this morning and I got his for $220. Thanks!