PDA

View Full Version : Carbine vs Mid length upper

gregr266
08-29-2009, 9:59 PM
Pros and Cons? and any advice on the difference. To my very limited knowledge it is the gas system right.

Telperion
08-29-2009, 10:23 PM
The midlength is in many ways superior for a general purpose rifle. The carbine is really best if you need the shortest possible rifle or have the option of going SBR.

Benefits of the mid-length:
Lower port pressure means less violent recoil, extraction, and wear on bolt
Looks better with a 16" barrel, with no need to permanently attach a muzzle device
Some marginal improvement in velocity

NorCalRifleman
08-29-2009, 10:35 PM
The system was designed for a full rifle length gas system. Anything else is a modification. The closer you are to the original system, the fewer problems you're going to have. Just look at how many problems the super-short gas systems have, like the AR pistols. I'm sure there are some that run just fine, but the closer you are to the original design, the easier troubleshooting will be. Plus the Mid-Length looks better. :cool2:

Barney Gumble
08-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Has been discussed many times...go to google and type "midlength vs carbine site:calguns.net".

Ok I did it for you but you're on your own the next time, welcome to calguns. ;)

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=mid+length+vs+carbine+site:calguns.net&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Saym14
08-29-2009, 10:57 PM
pro- longer site radius on the middy.
con - less available gas system parts

NorCalRifleman
08-29-2009, 11:00 PM
pro- longer site radius on the middy.

Good one, but that reminds me, your sight adjustment increments will be off. Each click will adjust POI a little more than a rifle length and a little less than a carbine length.

Barney Gumble
08-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Good one, but that reminds me, your sight adjustment increments will be off. Each click will adjust POI a little more than a rifle length and a little less than a carbine length.

That might matter if you're shooting Service Rifle, but it's not likely to matter on a fighting carbine, especially if your sights are backups to an optic.

Btw it's "Callahan" and "A man's got to know his limitations."

rabagley
08-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Get a middy, have it cut down to 14.5" with a permanently attached muzzle device to bring it back out to > 16.1"

A carbine isn't bad, but it just won't ever run as smooth as the middy.

NorCalRifleman
08-30-2009, 12:22 AM
That might matter if you're shooting Service Rifle, but it's not likely to matter on a fighting carbine, especially if your sights are backups to an optic.

Btw it's "Callahan" and "A man's got to know his limitations."

Nice catch. I fat fingered the name and can't believe I never caught it.

I agree about the sights not being that big a deal. I have a tendency to over-inform. :P

railroader
08-30-2009, 7:30 AM
I have both. I like the looks of the middy a little better. Both run fine for me so it's a toss up. Mark

mikecro1
08-30-2009, 8:10 AM
what are the advantages of a "gas piston system" over a "DI system" ?.....:jump: