PDA

View Full Version : Lower Receivers & Multi-Caliber

Phil3
08-29-2009, 7:43 PM
Why is it that some vendors advertise lower receivers with this language?

"...The lower is marked "Multi" so that multiple caliber uppers can be used...".

I had my barrel chambered in .223 Remington, but expect the Noveske N4 lower receiver (marked as 5.56mm), won't care one wit about that. Or am I truly missing something here? A Sundevil lower receiver I have is marked multi caliber.

- Phil

Mssr. Eleganté
08-29-2009, 7:58 PM
Some people are just annoyed with a firearm that has two different caliber markings on it. Other people think it is a safety hazard to have a firearm with the incorrect caliber marking on the lower. So these "MULTI" marked lowers came about to satisfy the wants of those consumers.

Plisk
08-29-2009, 8:02 PM
The multi marking means nothing. Its just that, a marking. There is no physical difference in the lower.

Phil3
08-29-2009, 8:34 PM
Some people are just annoyed with a firearm that has two different caliber markings on it. Other people think it is a safety hazard to have a firearm with the incorrect caliber marking on the lower. So these "MULTI" marked lowers came about to satisfy the wants of those consumers.

I can see that. My Noveske N4 says 5.56mm and it will be shooting .223 Remington. 5.56mm in this gun would not be wise.

- Phil

grahlaika
08-30-2009, 9:12 AM
Why is it that some vendors advertise lower receivers with this language?

"...The lower is marked "Multi" so that multiple caliber uppers can be used...".

I had my barrel chambered in .223 Remington, but expect the Noveske N4 lower receiver (marked as 5.56mm), won't care one wit about that. Or am I truly missing something here? A Sundevil lower receiver I have is marked multi caliber.

- Phil

It's possible some vendors are marking the lower with 'multi-caliber' recognizing that there are multiple caliber upper conversions available to work with the standard lower. So if someone wants to know that their lower can accept a .40S&W, .45ACP, .458 SOCOM, etc., etc. they'll feel more comfortable I guess if the lower says 'multi-caliber'. The only caliber marking that counts is on the upper.

Vin496
08-30-2009, 9:19 AM
I can see that. My Noveske N4 says 5.56mm and it will be shooting .223 Remington. 5.56mm in this gun would not be wise.

- Phil

Yes, it's not the lower but your barrel that makes the difference.

Acorn556
08-30-2009, 9:46 AM
I'm curious to know why you're putting on a .223 barrel when 5.56 fires the same bullet.

fuegoslow
08-30-2009, 10:07 AM
The only caliber marking that counts is on the upper.
+1

Ever wonder why S&W M&P15 lowers have no caliber markings? Doesn't really matter. As long as the corresponding magazines fit in the magwell, and the proper BCG is used.

shark92651
08-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Stag Arms actually charges more money for their 6.8mm marked lowers than their 5.56mm, even though the only difference is the marking :rolleyes:

THT
08-30-2009, 10:14 AM
+1

Ever wonder why S&W M&P15 lowers have no caliber markings? Doesn't really matter. As long as the corresponding magazines fit in the magwell, and the proper BCG is used.

And the right barrel ;)

Phil3
08-30-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm curious to know why you're putting on a .223 barrel when 5.56 fires the same bullet.

.223 bullets are the same in diameter (.224'), but not in length or weight.

I am shooting short range (100 and 200 yards), and lighter flat based bullets are optimal for that distance. As such, I wanted a relatively tight chamber for these bullets. A 5.56 chamber would not be optimal for this.

Krieger, my barrel maker, offered four choices. I chose 1:9 twist with a chamber that is on the tight side of .223 Remington SAAMI specs, shooting 55 - 69 grain bullets. Krieger agreed this would be the best choice for my shooting distance and selected bullets.

- Phil

japps
08-30-2009, 8:57 PM
Phil,

to answer your original question...I was one of those who searched out a "multi" marked lower. Because I'm still debating on the upper...More than likely a 5.56mm Noveske N4 Recce, but a chance for a 6.5mm Grendel from Addax. In which case a multi would be a better representation of the rifle than having it stamped 5.56mm. I'm getting the lower now...and will push out the upper for later.

Phil3
09-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Hmmm.... the billet 6xxx series aluminum SunDevil with the proper "Multi Cal" marking and tension screw or the Noveske N4 forged 7xxx series aluminum with the wrong caliber marking but with the nice looking iron cross... :D

aplinker
09-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Hmmm.... the billet 6xxx series aluminum SunDevil with the proper "Multi Cal" marking and tension screw or the Noveske N4 forged 7xxx series aluminum with the wrong caliber marking but with the nice looking iron cross... :D

Split the difference - Mega billet