PDA

View Full Version : Dual Resident, CCW Question

nporst
08-29-2009, 3:01 PM
I am getting ready to apply for the CCW in San Diego county. Since I have dual residence with Arizona both my handguns have been purchased there. I also have a CCW from Arizona. The only thing I have found in the Calif. handgun laws states that a new resident to Calif. is considered an importer and must register all their handguns. I am a native Califorian and have lived here all my life. I really don't want to register my handguns in Calif. I think my application is acceptable, good cause issue is OK, background spotless, but I concerned about proceeding because of this issue. Thank you to anyone who may have some advise on this.

PS: Worst case, registering the guns in Calif. and then getting turned down for the CCW, ouch!

Fjold
08-29-2009, 3:34 PM
Buy another gun in California.

Quiet
08-29-2009, 5:31 PM
Almost all issuing agencies require the handguns you list on your permit to be registered to you.

nporst
08-29-2009, 6:11 PM
My handguns are registered to me. It just happens they were purchased legally in Arizona. I have thought of buying a gun in California (it would then have to be my carry firearm). My concerns would be that the other guns would show up during a background check and Calif. would want them registered here. Please more input if possible. Thanks!

Knauga
08-29-2009, 8:00 PM
My handguns are registered to me. It just happens they were purchased legally in Arizona. I have thought of buying a gun in California (it would then have to be my carry firearm). My concerns would be that the other guns would show up during a background check and Calif. would want them registered here. Please more input if possible. Thanks!

The guns you bought out of state won't show up in CA's database. They are irrelevant to the process anyway.

Librarian
08-29-2009, 8:02 PM

By what means do you suppose AZ-purchased guns would show up in a CA background check?

CA only knows about guns that have run through CA DROS or otherwise registered with CA via intrafamilial transfer or voluntary registration or the new resident registration.

And guns in CA are not required to be registered (if you didn't transfer them since 1991 or move them here since 1998), although it does seem to be the case that CCW-issuers want the handguns on the permit to be registered.

Radiant
08-29-2009, 8:19 PM
nporst,

This is a hassle I'm thinking about too. Native CA resident now moving to NV and bought most of my guns in NV.

Are you sure you can get a CCW in San Diego? Around here (Stanislaus County) you have to show a good reason to a sheriff that doesn't want us to have them. Frustrating. Nevada is a shall issue state.

Is your drivers license in CA or Arizona? And does that matter?

Too bad there isnt a national CCW.

1923mack
08-29-2009, 9:44 PM
Unless I am missing something, to get a Califorinia CCW you have to be a Caifornia resident. If you have any handguns now in your posession in California you need to send in the form and the $19. Period end of statement. If your handguns are still in Arizona than that is fine, no need for California to know anything about that.

Librarian
08-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Unless I am missing something, to get a Califorinia CCW you have to be a Caifornia resident. If you have any handguns now in your posession in California you need to send in the form and the $19. Period end of statement. If your handguns are still in Arizona than that is fine, no need for California to know anything about that.

A little too dogmatic there.

The OP says he has dual residency, in CA and AZ. I'll take him at his word, he should know.

Since he's already a CA resident, he isn't covered by the new-resident registration requirement.

CA law really doesn't address dual-state residency regarding guns.

Now, I, too am skeptical of his likelihood of getting CCW in San Diego, but it does seem to happen sometimes, so applying seems unlikely to hurt anything.

POLICESTATE
08-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I believe CA doesn't care about handguns outside of the state, whether you own them legally or not, at least not until you bring them into this state.

nporst
08-30-2009, 6:09 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Just to clarify, I live in Calif. (always have), I own property in AZ which allowed me to get an AZ ID card. This allows me be buy firearms in AZ. My drivers license is Calif. It is true it is very hard to get a CCW in San Diego county. At some point during the interview and/or application I will show I am very experienced in gun handling. ie: IDPA, combat matches, range time, RSO certified, etc. I want to list both my Glock 19and Glock 21 as my carry firearms. My main question: will they question why these guns are not registered even tho I don't think they need to be? This is a gray area and all these replys are very helpful to me and I'm sure to others. Thanks

MrClamperSir
08-30-2009, 1:16 PM
They DO NOT check your weapons to see if they are registered or not. They will however run the serial numbers through a database to find out if they have ever been stolen. The issue that comes up is if you need to use your weapon that is on your permit for self defense. The DA or the plaintiff in a civil case can can argue that they are not registered in the state and, in their opinion, had no business being here in the first place. The issuing agency would probably recommend you only have Ca. legally registered weapons on your permit but they don't check.

1923mack
08-30-2009, 2:24 PM
CCW applications need to be very precise and accurate. You also have to certify all the statement made are accurate and true. While one can have multiple residences you can only have only one primary residence. Voting registration is frequently one determinator. If his primary residence is now in the California county where he is applying for a CCW that is fine. If to get the Arizona permit he stated Arizona as primary residence he would need to modify that permit.

nporst
08-30-2009, 3:53 PM
MrClamperSir, I think you've answered my question., Also, to 1923mack and others: You do not have to be a resident of Arizona to apply and get a CCW there. (to buy firearms, yes). I will be starting the process in a week or so. Wish me luck, after all it is San Diego county.

1923mack
08-30-2009, 6:58 PM
A non resident CCW in Arizona is a different thing. Congrads on getting it. Have been considering same myself.

Kurt Gepke
09-19-2009, 7:24 PM
A little too dogmatic there.

The OP says he has dual residency, in CA and AZ. I'll take him at his word, he should know.

Since he's already a CA resident, he isn't covered by the new-resident registration requirement.

CA law really doesn't address dual-state residency regarding guns.

Now, I, too am skeptical of his likelihood of getting CCW in San Diego, but it does seem to happen sometimes, so applying seems unlikely to hurt anything.

Which state issued his driver's license and where is he registered to vote?
If he brings the guns into the PRK from AZ, the DOJ will treat it just as if he were becoming a new resident.

Another way to look at it is that "the guns" are becoming new residents.

If it were me, I would leave my guns in AZ and buy a PRK gun for CCW.

San Diego is a pain in the butt to get your CCW, but once you have it and once you've gone through the renewal process at least once, it's pretty much a rubber stamp approval from then on.

Mine was restricted the first two times to "while working", but I made sure that I could substantiate that I was 'working' at anytime and any place.:)

KG