View Full Version : Log book

08-29-2009, 9:15 AM
To work on customers handgun over night does an FFL have to log it into his log book? If work is done while customer stays at the shop does it have to be logged it? On a 1911 clone frame is a city of manufacturer required on the frame?

08-29-2009, 9:50 AM
If you keep the firearm over night, it needs to go into a bound book. I have a separate "gunsmithing" book for those. If the customer is there the whole time, no need to log it in or out.

I have no idea what is required on the frame.

08-29-2009, 10:23 AM
As was mentioned on the last post, every gun that is staying for any period of time without the owner has to be logged into the disposition book. Every receiver clone or not, needs to have company name, city, state and serial number engraved to a specific depth per ATF guidelines. If the FFL is a manufacturer, it also has to be logged into their manufacturers disposition books. Then reported on their yearly manufacturers report.

08-29-2009, 9:25 PM
Thanks USMG. I see now that most handguns have the manufacturers name, city, state and a number on them. Was guessing that that might be a Federal requirement. Any idea how long that has been around. 10, 20, 30 years or so? I know the is an AMT receiver on Gunbroker right now that only has letters and numbers on it. No city, state or manufacturers name. I am guessing that at some time in the past there might have been different requirement for receivers. But this is a guess, I have not reshearched it.

08-29-2009, 9:37 PM
All tht is required to be on the receiver is the serial number.

The manufacturer's name, city, state, etc, can be marked on the receiver or barrel.