PDA

View Full Version : New Mosin Owner

rulas41
08-28-2009, 9:23 PM
Like another calgunner said my search fu sucks. long story short i just got a mosin looked good but in 10 day wait. but to say that it was caked with cosmo is an understatement. i know some of you guys have these great ways to remove it with out working way to hard. thanks for of the help up front.

Geo
08-28-2009, 9:24 PM
Gasoline.

rulas41
08-28-2009, 9:27 PM
Gasoline.

with this weather i dont want to combust in to flames

Army GI
08-28-2009, 9:29 PM
I just used some hot water, a stuff plastic brush, and Simple Green.

rulas41
08-28-2009, 9:35 PM
I just used some hot water, a stuff plastic brush, and Simple Green.

sounds good not dangerus to my health just tiring to my arms

cgmoe
08-28-2009, 9:40 PM
WD-40 works

mosinnagantm9130
08-28-2009, 9:42 PM
Hot water and Hoppes #9.

bombadillo
08-28-2009, 9:46 PM
Probably most any solvent will do the job. Try to take all the wood off around it and clean that off by itself if you're able to, and use casey/birchwod gunscrubber. That stuff is pretty gnarly and it seems to really work on taking stuff out of the nooks and crannies. Do wear eye protection because that crap burns like a mother if ANY gets in your eye. Also no plastic or toothbrushes with it because it will flat out melt the polymers out there. I found that out the hard way with a marlin 795 and a plastic trigger assembly that darn near melted when I was cleaning it.

five.five-six
08-28-2009, 9:47 PM
I use a heat gun and a rag

don't forget to take the bolt apart and clean the fireing pin n stuff, (wear eye protection)

rulas41
08-28-2009, 9:53 PM
dang with all these responces i am going to have to condance them all for the other soon to c&r nubies like me

detcord
08-28-2009, 10:02 PM
its ridiculously hot out right now, wrap the stock up with towels etc, throw it in a black trashbag and put it in the sun to sweat.

glennsche
08-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Go to surplusrifle.com. Many tips on this.

Agustav
08-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Since you leave in So. Cal with pretty hot temperature. Leave it under the sun with the muzzle down. Most of the cosmo will drip out. Make sure to put some newspaper underneath and wipe periodically.

After you got most of it off, use any solvent and elbow grease to get rid of the rest!

joefrank64k
08-28-2009, 10:55 PM
I use Odorless Mineral Spirits and one of those round short-bristled brushes you see in a parts washer, along with a cheap baking pan I picked up at WalMart.

Of course, I wear disposable Nitrile gloves and work outside. The OMS work great on the cosmo and aren't nearly as dangerous as gasoline. They don't raise the grain of the wood and don't attack any factory applied gun finishes. And it's cheap!

five.five-six
08-29-2009, 1:44 AM
its ridiculously hot out right now, wrap the stock up with towels etc, throw it in a black trashbag and put it in the sun to sweat.

that'll do er

Spiggy
08-29-2009, 2:23 AM
with this weather i dont want to combust in to flames

Solar Oven

Get a medium sized aluminum trashcan, build a rack on the inside that will keep the parts from sitting on the way bottom. Paint the trash can matte black and leave it out in the sun. One afternoon of 104 will sweat almost all the cosmo out, leaving only the gritty bits for brush-cleaning. Afterwards, you pull the rack out and wipe out the bottom of the trash can. I built a funneled pan underneath that allows me to collect the cosmo in the end. :D who knows when I will need to preserve something.

I live in SoCal so I got plenty of sun to allow me to do this.

socaldsal
08-29-2009, 2:58 AM

I do this...you can also leave it in the trunk of your car in the bag, do your day business, and have a project to do once you're back home.

Lucky Scott
08-29-2009, 9:57 AM
Yep, these old rifles sure are fun. Dont worry, its all worth it later when you start shooting it. The cleaning is just part of the bonding process.

glennsche
08-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Yep, these old rifles sure are fun. Dont worry, its all worth it later when you start shooting it. The cleaning is just part of the bonding process.

absolutely! couldnt agree with you more on this bit. when i got to the point where i could reassemble the bolt without looking at the youtube vid for the mosin/mauser/k31, and when i could reassemble the svt gas system without checking the forum... tee! i felt like i could give them all hugs.

for me, learning about their history, cleaning them, seeing how they work (and realizing, basically, what simple machines they are), getting all the accessories and stuff... its all just as much fun as actually shooting.

Crusader
08-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Lucky Scott is spot on. Breaking the rifles apart and restoring them to how they looked in their glory days is a great time to learn about your rifle. Finding marking left by previous owners is a cool experience... a Yugo 24/47 I owned a while back had someone's name penciled under the barrel.

It is a time to bond with your rifle.

Blwnbwtie
08-29-2009, 10:45 AM
I usually take it apart and use parts wash on all of the metal parts, it takes the cosmoline off real good. Just be sure to oil it up once your done because it takes it to bare metal and will rust if not relubed.