PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a new business wireless network

Librarian
08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Just musing here.

Getting way ahead of myself, I'm thinking about a place I may work by the end of the year.

It's a long term care facility, and one of the tasks is managing medications for the older folks who just are not good at that, for whatever reason.

All of the participants in that service move all of their meds to a central, secure storage, and techs load med carts and deliver medications to the residents on a daily set schedule.

Right now, the medication administration record - MAR - is hand written on standard forms.

There are applications to convert that manual entry to a computerized system, an EMAR, usually using bar codes for the patients and the medications, and a bar code scanner in several levels of inventory entry, inventory removal, and med delivery.

The facility is 3 buildings, 2 stories each, and has nothing like a network.

My current guess is that it would need a server and a backup, and about a dozen laptops (including spares).

Because this is all 'protected healthcare information' there are physical security and network security issues. The laptops would be running only their operating systems and necessary support processes, and the application software for the job; no internet, no games, probably no word processing or notepad outside the app.

What I'm interested in is having a start on a proposal to senior management to implement an EMAR (http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/cms/contentView.do/0/1894/2208/0/HealthCareindustry/About-eMar-%28FAQ%27s%29.html), and I want to be able to read a response to an RFP and know whether the hardware and network costs are reasonable.

So, what should it cost to put in a 'high security' business network in a 3-contiguous-building configuration?

I know there are lots of other costs, but this aspect is -really- out of my experience.

Free consulting, anyone?

artherd
08-28-2009, 1:57 PM
Something like that scale - "it depends". Attach medical industry and HIPAA and you double or triple the cost.

sfwdiy
08-28-2009, 3:24 PM
Just musing here.

Getting way ahead of myself, I'm thinking about a place I may work by the end of the year.

It's a long term care facility, and one of the tasks is managing medications for the older folks who just are not good at that, for whatever reason.

All of the participants in that service move all of their meds to a central, secure storage, and techs load med carts and deliver medications to the residents on a daily set schedule.

Right now, the medication administration record - MAR - is hand written on standard forms.

There are applications to convert that manual entry to a computerized system, an EMAR, usually using bar codes for the patients and the medications, and a bar code scanner in several levels of inventory entry, inventory removal, and med delivery.

The facility is 3 buildings, 2 stories each, and has nothing like a network.

My current guess is that it would need a server and a backup, and about a dozen laptops (including spares).

Because this is all 'protected healthcare information' there are physical security and network security issues. The laptops would be running only their operating systems and necessary support processes, and the application software for the job; no internet, no games, probably no word processing or notepad outside the app.

What I'm interested in is having a start on a proposal to senior management to implement an EMAR (http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/cms/contentView.do/0/1894/2208/0/HealthCareindustry/About-eMar-%28FAQ%27s%29.html), and I want to be able to read a response to an RFP and know whether the hardware and network costs are reasonable.

So, what should it cost to put in a 'high security' business network in a 3-contiguous-building configuration?

I know there are lots of other costs, but this aspect is -really- out of my experience.

Free consulting, anyone?

I tell you what... for $17 million I can get it done in a week. :p

Seriously though, it's probably not gonna be cheap.

--B

odysseus
08-28-2009, 3:29 PM
Read up on HIPAA and the application requirements that may need to be purchased to comply. It's a expensive world for some, especially in portability. A lot of variability depending on need of course, and well certainly wireless makes some sense. However what is expensive to them? What perceptions already in place are you going to be working with?

bigmike82
08-28-2009, 4:45 PM
"My current guess is that it would need a server and a backup, and about a dozen laptops (including spares)."
Think tablets, not standard laptops.

"no internet, no games, probably no word processing or notepad outside the app."
Definitely a good policy.

"So, what should it cost to put in a 'high security' business network in a 3-contiguous-building configuration?:
Depends. How stable/well built is the current physical network?

A good single file server/backup will run you 15, 20k. A good Cisco AP goes for 500 each. A Cisco wireless controller (HIGHLY recommended if you end up with a bunch of APs) will run you several grand. You'll also want a one or two good firewalls (5k each), router (5k), and switches (3k). You'll ALSO want some security monitoring stuff. Figure on 3 servers dedicated to SNORT (4k each), a log server (10k), a monitoring server (3k), and a management server (5k).

Librarian
08-28-2009, 5:37 PM
Read up on HIPAA and the application requirements that may need to be purchased to comply. It's a expensive world for some, especially in portability. A lot of variability depending on need of course, and well certainly wireless makes some sense. However what is expensive to them? What perceptions already in place are you going to be working with?

I think I might get to set those expectations; I'm trying to get enough info to decide if there is a business case, and since I don't work there yet, that's pretty hard.

AFAIK there is a small hardwired network, since there are workstations/PCs in several physically separate locations. I have no details on that. I know they use several reporting apps and staff scheduling apps, but have no idea if those are COTS (oh, please, please) or home grown.

Tablets might be a great idea, thanks for that - addresses physical security of the devices somewhat, can carry them around rather than leave them on/chained to a med cart.

See, one day and my pool of information is both wider and deeper - thanks, all!

SwissFluCase
08-28-2009, 6:07 PM
I have a contact who specializes in medical office IT systems. PM me if you are interested getting his contact info.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

bigmike82
08-28-2009, 6:35 PM
"addresses physical security"
Laptop cable locks are good. Also, look into either a software or hardware-based full-disk encryption suite. I don't know if it's required by regulations, but it sure as **** makes sense.