PDA

View Full Version : CA<->CA transfer requires FFL<->FFL?

beisenberg
08-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I recently agreed to purchase an AR15 lower from another Calguns member. He's located in San Diego, I'm in San Francisco. I've contacted a number of local dealers who still do FFL transfers and they have all informed me that CA law now requires the sending party to go through an FFL on their end and that private individuals can no longer ship long guns within CA.

The seller's dealer informed him that is NOT the case, which is confusing the matter. Obviously I'm SOL if there is no dealer near SF who will receive it from a private party anyways, but we'd like to find out.

Thanks for any elucidation,
Brett

ke6guj
08-28-2009, 1:53 PM
They would be spreading FUD (bulls***). There is no law, state or federal, that requires that a shipment to an FFL come from another FFL.

There is a law that requires an FFL>FFL shipment also include the CFLC paperwork, so they may be misunderstanding the law. Private party > FFL is exempt from that.

Some dealers have a personal policy to only accept shipments from other dealers. They may think that protects them somehow. Or may do it in a misguided attempt to help out other dealers. But those reasons are personal reasons not backed up by law.

beisenberg
08-28-2009, 2:03 PM
If that's true, do you know an FFL near San Francisco who will accept an FFL from a private individual? I've pinged every single one I know of, and none of them do.

best,
Brett

They would be spreading FUD (bulls***). There is no law, state or federal, that requires that a shipment to an FFL come from another FFL.

There is a law that requires an FFL>FFL shipment also include the CFLC paperwork, so they may be misunderstanding the law. Private party > FFL is exempt from that.

Some dealers have a personal policy to only accept shipments from other dealers. They may think that protects them somehow. Or may do it in a misguided attempt to help out other dealers. But those reasons are personal reasons not backed up by law.

ke6guj
08-28-2009, 2:07 PM
I'm not up that way, so I can't help on that. I'd suggest maybe editing your title to ask for a good SF-area FFL.

rbetts
09-05-2009, 8:10 PM
Is Sacramento too far???

vinniesguns
09-08-2009, 3:04 PM
If Rohnert Park is not too far, about 45 minutes North of S.F. I would do for you for $65.00
Thanks