PDA

View Full Version : Utah CCW and apartment BG check

KDOFisch
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey guys,

Searched the forums and couldn't find this specifically. Anyone know if my Utah CFP/CCW will show up on an apartment BG check? New landlord is a paranoid dude who had some bad tenants.

I'm a good boy and have never even had more than a speeding ticket. What shows up on this thing regarding firearms?

kf6tac
08-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Is it an actual background check that your apartment is running? I believe mine just pulled my credit history - they're primarily concerned with whether you'll pay your rent on time.

Merc1138
08-28-2009, 11:28 AM
BG check for an apartment? That's a little odd. Usually it's just credit history and previous places you've rented that they check. Like kf6tac said, all they really care about is whether or not you can and will pay your rent on time.

KDOFisch
08-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah, and I'm used to a credit check as well, which is expected.

He wants a complete and separate BG check as well.

This is a little odd, and I'm curious as to why. He said he had 'problems' with previous tenants.

So any answers as to what comes up?

kf6tac
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah, and I'm used to a credit check as well, which is expected.

He wants a complete and separate BG check as well.

This is a little odd, and I'm curious as to why. He said he had 'problems' with previous tenants.

So any answers as to what comes up?

Sorry, can't help you there. I've never actually seen the results of any background checks that were done on me, so I couldn't even tell you if there's a category/section where a CCW might show up. Maybe someone in LE will chime in soon.

Glock22Fan
08-28-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm guessing that he has to be using a P.I. and not paying very much. It is probably just an internet scan to see what shows up.

I doubt that the Utah CCW will show up, but I guess that depends upon how good, and how motivated, the P.I. is.

If he has the right contacts and goes looking for it, then he'll find it. But, have you done anything to make the landlord think that you have one? If not, he should also search all the other states that issue non-resident permits. Most of these aren't freely available to the public. A lot of work for what gains?

Kid Stanislaus
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, and I'm used to a credit check as well, which is expected. He wants a complete and separate BG check as well.

Do you REALLY want to rent from this guy? If the Playmate of the Month is living next door then I'd go for it but there are SO many empty apartments available today that I'd pass on this one.

fuegoslow
08-28-2009, 12:57 PM
In any case, how would a Utah CCW be a bad thing? It only shows you're a responsible gun owner who went through the proper channels to obtain a permit to excercise your 2A rights in 29 states, or is it 27 now? If you're good enough for the FBI(CCW BG check), you should be good for this landlord. If not, move on. Is there a disclaimer on the lease that does not allow firearms on the property?

Big Jake
08-28-2009, 1:28 PM
I have my Utah ccw and nothing like the above happened during my "Background Check" They will run your fingerprints for criminal record and that is all!

No credit checks, landlord checks or anything like that! Your landlord will not know you have a ccw unless you tell him.

Millions-Knives
08-28-2009, 1:35 PM
I have my Utah ccw and nothing like the above happened during my "Background Check" They will run your fingerprints for criminal record and that is all!

No credit checks, landlord checks or anything like that! Your landlord will not know you have a ccw unless you tell him.

I think the OP is afraid his landlord will find that he has a Utah CCW on his BG check for his new apartment. He mentioned he was very paranoid and I'm assuming he may be a bit turned off that his tenant is a possible gun person.

KDOFisch
08-28-2009, 3:10 PM
I think the OP is afraid his landlord will find that he has a Utah CCW on his BG check for his new apartment. He mentioned he was very paranoid and I'm assuming he may be a bit turned off that his tenant is a possible gun person.

Well it's not that I really think he'd be turned off, it's just that I don't want it to be the very first thing this guy finds out about me. He's a really nice guy, seems like a great landlord. I did ask him incidentally this afternoon for his reasoning, and he simply said that a previous tenant had 3 prior evictions, and he wished he'd known that beforehand. He's well within his right to do this, and it's not nosy, but I just don't want him to get the wrong idea.

I know everyone here understands- I'm not as much concerned as I am curious as to it showing up.

Untamed1972
08-28-2009, 3:26 PM
There are some online tenant screening services that landlords can use, especially if they only have a couple of untis, that will do the credit check and they have the option of doing a criminal history check as well. Some landlords don't want dirtbags in their units either....even if they can pay, cuz dirstbags bring trouble.

Can't tell you if your CCW will show up on it or not though. I kinda doubt it, cuz they're usually just looking for criminal history.