PDA

View Full Version : Barrel cleaning

eighteenninetytwo
08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Folks when you get a 'new' C&R whihc has obviously been round the block a few times (in this case it's 1916 SMLE No. mk3*) how do you go about cleaning the barrel? I had a few minutes spare yesterday and I ran a patch with sweets 7.62 down it - came out bright blue, then a few patches wrapped round a plastic bristle bore brush, til they came out clean. then repeated this another three times. In each case when I put another sweets patch thorugh it came out just as blue with copper fouling. is it just a case of spending a couple of hours and lots of patches or it there a shock and awe style method of getting most out in one go?

EricClay
08-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Keep running the copper remover through it until the color stops. The first time you clean an old C&R you might find yourself working at it for many hours. I suggest after each wet patch is pulled you wait the maximum recommended time to allow the cleaner to do the work instead of you. No need to pull more then 1 dry through in between wet patches.

I had a few Garands that took 4+ hours of non-stop copper removal to get them back into operation.

A Copper remover like Tetra's copper remover is real thick and wont pool in the barrel, Its a good candidate for the first clean of an old gun.

If you do use a more fluid cleaner, rotate the rifle 90 degree's between each wet patch.

Crusader
08-29-2009, 12:18 AM
I first run some hot water down the barrel to loosen things up. I then place a patch on the cleaning rod and place it in the chamber so that it stays in place without me holding it. I then squirt some Hoppes #9 down the barrel so that it runs down the rifling to the patch.

I push the patch through to the muzzle, then use dry patches until no more solvent remains in the barrel. I then repeat the cycle. Usually, once is enough to clean the barrel. The second time is just for peace of mind.

I then put some CLP on a patch and run it through the barrel twice: once from the muzzle and once from the chamber.

So far, this method has worked perfectly.

hawk81
08-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Yeah, you might have to clean it a while.

Agustav
08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
I find it therapeutic cleaning my C&R barrel for hours... :D

Mezcalfud
08-29-2009, 7:41 PM
I clean less than I used to and I shoot better. Bore foam, a few patches and some clp.

smle-man
08-29-2009, 8:41 PM
Stand the rifle up, plug the chamber with a rubber stopper and fill the bore with Hoppe's #9. Let it sit for about a week. That will loosen all sorts of crud. Don't let Sweets 7.62 sit in the bore for more than 15 minutes; the ammonia in the concoction will etch the metal.

rogdigity
08-29-2009, 8:45 PM
seems like both of the arisakas and the m44 i have had a lot of rust in the barrels. any recommendations on getting it out.

right now i am using a brush with plenty of oil and brushing the heck outta the barrel. then follow with patches until the come out clean, but still bits of rust in the barrel. anyone have anything more efficient? i always assumed it is just a rusty old C&R barrel and thats what i got and what i was stuck with.

also, i got an ooooooold 1884 mauser with LOTS of rust inside. i heard of a method using a plugged barrel full of ammonia and inserting a steel electrode through the length of the barrel and applying a current through it with a couple c batteries. tried this a made a cool little rig and all. talked to some guys on the high road who told me about it and swore by it and all and they said the pictures looked perfect. but when i tried it i didnt notice pretty much any rust came off. anyone ever hear of these?

Scratch705
08-29-2009, 9:17 PM
got the same on a 91/30 i picked up.... was cleaning it for 30 minutes and the patches kept coming out black.... so i just gave up and just oiled it up with eezox, and put it back in the cabinet.

i'm probably run the brush and patches with some sweets cleaner to see if that can take off the black crud (i'm guessing years of gunpowder residue since no copper coloring came out after the 5th patch only black

rogdigity
08-29-2009, 10:41 PM
i didnt even get any copper color on my patches, i only get black. an ya, i was guessing that all it was was years of caked in gun powder residue and fouling from corrosive primers

barrym66
08-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Bore foam, a few patches and some clp.

+1 here, unless the gun is really dirty, then the plug the bore, fill with Hoppes and let soak, then the brass brush/patch routine until clean. My surplus Mk.3 needed 4x passes through this process until the bore was fully clean and shiny again.

Timberwolf
08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Get some Wipe Out and the Accelerator. It will make short work of even the nastiest copper fouling.

rogdigity
08-29-2009, 11:01 PM
i dont know these products, where can i get them and try them? my newest arisaka is pretty f*cked up and can use a LOT of TLC and patience with the cleaning rod

maxx424
08-30-2009, 7:45 AM
I really like outers foaming bore cleaner. Used hoppies till it came clean. Tried the outers after and WOW more black and lots of blue. Works really well. Graff and Sons has it.

smle-man
08-30-2009, 11:12 AM
seems like both of the arisakas and the m44 i have had a lot of rust in the barrels. any recommendations on getting it out.

right now i am using a brush with plenty of oil and brushing the heck outta the barrel. then follow with patches until the come out clean, but still bits of rust in the barrel. anyone have anything more efficient? i always assumed it is just a rusty old C&R barrel and thats what i got and what i was stuck with.

also, i got an ooooooold 1884 mauser with LOTS of rust inside. i heard of a method using a plugged barrel full of ammonia and inserting a steel electrode through the length of the barrel and applying a current through it with a couple c batteries. tried this a made a cool little rig and all. talked to some guys on the high road who told me about it and swore by it and all and they said the pictures looked perfect. but when i tried it i didnt notice pretty much any rust came off. anyone ever hear of these?

I have an Outers "Foul Out" that does what you describe. The bore needs to be completely oil free before using it. Try plugging the chamber and filling the bore with auto transmission fluid - the red stuff - and let is sit for a couple weeks then go at it with some bronze bore brushes.

rogdigity
08-30-2009, 12:20 PM
does that kit have a special solution for removing rust?

1moa@500
08-30-2009, 10:36 PM
I might suggest that you put some jb compound on a patch and wrap that patch in that caliber brush. About a hundred strokes should remove most of the garbage. The use the liquid cleaners

mzimmers
09-12-2009, 8:30 AM
Here's something to look at:

http://www.cleenboreusa.com/

I saw this at SHOT 2008 and was skeptical. I tried it, and am a believer. You just can't imagine how thoroughly something that moves so quickly through the barrel works. It also uses KG products for cleaning, and I'm a big fan of their stuff.

rogdigity
09-12-2009, 8:53 AM
what the eff? does that thing do what i think it does? from the description it looks like it shoots a little dowel through the barrel at a pretty fair rate?

anyone wanna make a video of this and show me how it works? im a bit of a skeptic, but if i see it do a miricle ill buy it

mzimmers
09-12-2009, 9:00 AM
what the eff? does that thing do what i think it does? from the description it looks like it shoots a little dowel through the barrel at a pretty fair rate?

anyone wanna make a video of this and show me how it works? im a bit of a skeptic, but if i see it do a miricle ill buy it

It's not a dowel; it's a bit of some firm foam plastic. There are two styles: one has a little scrubby thing on the tip (that's for cleaning). The other is just plain (that's for oiling).

The owner of the company told me about some test they did on an AK-47 that had some ungodly number of rounds down the barrel without cleaning. It took them something like 3 passes, but they got it clean.

Scratch705
09-12-2009, 11:00 AM
looks like it works on the same principle as the bore snakes.

although it uses a Co2 pressure to shoot the little foam scrubber down the barrel.

rogdigity
09-12-2009, 11:34 AM
so now the next question:

is it worth the 40 bucks plus whatever for the cleaning solutions they sell for it?

rogdigity
09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
also, SMLE-MAN said this:

Try plugging the chamber and filling the bore with auto transmission fluid - the red stuff - and let is sit for a couple weeks then go at it with some bronze bore brushes.

anyone know why or how trany fluid works? and has anyone tried it?

Scratch705
09-12-2009, 11:42 AM
so now the next question:

is it worth the 40 bucks plus whatever for the cleaning solutions they sell for it?

not sure? two reason why they use KG brand solutions.

1. It works well for this application

2. KG worked a contract with them to provide their products for cheap, and also for a cut of the sales?

i'm sure you can make a home version of this system. all you need is a air compressor, a few fittings to make that 90 degree bend and provide a air tight seal between the fittings and chamber. then just get a foam plug that is stiff enough to scrub the dirt, then put some of favorite cleaning solutions and blast it.

SixPointEight
09-12-2009, 12:43 PM
you know....I was gonna make a comment about how easy it was to clean my mosin...since I was pulling clean patches through, but I just looked down the bore, and it wasn't all the shiny. How shiny are these things? I'll try and snag a picture.

Wow....bore pictures are hard. This is what I've got so far...looks like I've got more work to do?
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z106/jmtyndall/CIMG1539.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z106/jmtyndall/CIMG1540.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z106/jmtyndall/CIMG1542.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z106/jmtyndall/CIMG1543.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z106/jmtyndall/CIMG1543.jpg

justMike
09-12-2009, 1:02 PM
When it comes to rust removal in the bore, I had an excellent result with Evapo-rust. Quote from container: "is non-toxic,non-corrosive,biodegradable and contains no acids or alkalis. It is non-flammable and contains no petroleum solvents. I got mine for $20, gallon size container at Harbor Freight. BTW it will remove bluing though.

knucklehead0202
09-12-2009, 1:08 PM
especially if you have a bit of rust, clean it reasonably with patches and regular solvent, then go put about 40 rds through it. then clean it again. shooting loosens up stuff that's been in there a long time. should clean up much better after that.

justMike
09-12-2009, 1:17 PM
Forgot to say that you just plug the end of your choice and fill the barrel with E-R and let it sit for a day, then drain. I flushed with hot water, then patches with regular solvent. Amazing stuff, works by chelation.

SixPointEight
09-12-2009, 1:17 PM
especially if you have a bit of rust, clean it reasonably with patches and regular solvent, then go put about 40 rds through it. then clean it again. shooting loosens up stuff that's been in there a long time. should clean up much better after that.

Don't think I have any rust, but I bet shooting a bit will help loosen some of it up to. Gonna wait till I go shooting to clean it again...but I might have to go out and buy some cleaning artillery. Should I get sweets? Or is hoppes9 gonna be ok?

Has anyone tried this?
http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=39312&start=15