PDA

View Full Version : Problem with accessing i-Tunes store

IGOTDIRT4U
08-28-2009, 8:33 AM
Every time I start up i-Tunes store, I get an error message saying it can't connect to the i-Tunes store as there is no internet connection.

But I know there is (I am connected to CGN right now!)

Any idea what program is running interference here? It might be a Norton setting, but with my limited computer knowledge, I checked Norton and didn't see anything strange.

armygunsmith
08-28-2009, 8:45 AM
Have you tried re-installing itunes?

IGOTDIRT4U
08-28-2009, 8:50 AM
Yes. I also rebooted to make sure the DNS was not an issue.

armygunsmith
08-28-2009, 8:57 AM
Are you running Norton Internet Security? If so, you might need to add an exception to the firewall rules to allow itunes through. What changed since the last time itunes worked properly? I assume you're using XP.

IGOTDIRT4U
08-28-2009, 9:01 AM
Are you running Norton Internet Security? If so, you might need to add an exception to the firewall rules to allow itunes through. What changed since the last time itunes worked properly? I assume you're using XP.

Running XP, running Norton, and this is the first time using iTunes. install went ok, just could not get the store to allow me access.

Looks like I may need to have Norton allow an exception. Have no idea how, though.

armygunsmith
08-28-2009, 9:03 AM
Check this article from Symantec http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/0/7fb6e478e2a1abf78825708b00558625?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us

Situation:
Norton Internet Security and Apple® iTunes® are installed on your computer. You cannot connect to the Music Store, share music, or import a CD by using iTunes.

Solution:
iTunes must connect to the Internet to download music from the Music Store or get CD track information from CDDB. Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall may block iTunes from doing these things.

To set up Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall to allow iTunes to connect to the Internet, check for a program rule for iTunes. Set the rule to permit all. If no program rule exists for iTunes, add a rule.

To check for an existing program rule for iTunes

1. Start Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.
2. Click Personal Firewall.
3. Click Configure.
4. On the Programs tab, scroll through the Manual Program Control window until you find iTunes.
5. Do one of the following:
* If you find iTunes, then verify that the Internet Access setting is Permit All. If it is set to Deny, then set it to Permit All.
* If you do not find iTunes in this list, then you must add a program rule to allow iTunes to access the Internet.

To add a program rule for iTunes

1. Open Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.
2. Click Personal Firewall.
3. Click Configure.
4. On the Programs tab, click Add.
5. In the Select a program window, browse to iTunes.exe.
6. Click Open.
7. In the Program Control window, click Permit All, then click OK.
8. Repeat steps 4–7 for iTunesHelper.exe.
9. Click OK.

IGOTDIRT4U
08-28-2009, 9:06 AM
Thanks. I have a feeling that is it. Time to adjust my Norton settings.

IGOTDIRT4U
08-28-2009, 9:07 AM
Worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I owe you a steak dinner!

armygunsmith
08-28-2009, 9:10 AM
No worries, have fun with itunes. Don't spend all your money there!

artherd
08-28-2009, 12:58 PM
The Power of Calguns!