PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to change out SKS stocks?

Hot Brass
08-28-2009, 8:12 AM
I like the Tapco stock.

http://www.tapco.com/product_image.aspx?id=a8881261-311e-41ef-a74b-394bad063dc6&s=f

My question is, are they California legal?

chsk9
08-28-2009, 8:23 AM
Google (or use search here) 922r... let us know what you find!

CSACANNONEER
08-28-2009, 8:25 AM
California legal? Sure as long as you don't use a detachable mag. But to make them legal on a federal level, you'll need to play the 922(r) game.

chsk9
08-28-2009, 8:31 AM
California legal? Sure as long as you don't use a detachable mag. But to make them legal on a federal level, you'll need to play the 922(r) game.

Are you sure? I'll re-read, I thought it was any modifications to the rifle and you landed in 922r-ville.

Stamatos
08-28-2009, 8:42 AM
Make sure your import part count is low enough too! This won't happen unless you swap out the mag for a fixed one. you could opt for an upper receiver replacement but hit up survivors sks boards, a lot over there.

P.S. I have my sks in a multicam T6, I love it!

SJgunguy24
08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Make sure your import part count is low enough too! This won't happen unless you swap out the mag for a fixed one. you could opt for an upper receiver replacement but hit up survivors sks boards, a lot over there.

Never heard of a "upper replacement receiver" for an SKS.

I've shot something like that before. It uses a rod as a linkage to the trigger group. Looks cool though.

If you install that stock you'll need to comply with 922r. There is enough USA after market componets availible you shouldn't have any problems with that.

Don't mess with any of the after market mags, even the best of them usally are only 80% reliable, I.M.O. that won't cut it.

Tapco sells gas pistons, bolts, and this guy www.murraysguns.com/ sells and tunes fire control groups. That mod alone will give you 3 USA parts towards 922r.

922r is an import law, if you take any imported firearm out of the stock (or "sporting") configuration you'll need to replace enough foreign parts with USA made parts to get the part count to 10 or less. thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance Use this link to find out more.

stix213
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Are you sure? I'll re-read, I thought it was any modifications to the rifle and you landed in 922r-ville.

No, it is when you add any "unsporting feature" to the rifle, not any modification at all. A pistol grip, forward grip, 11+ round mag, and a number of other features are considered unsporting. While swapping out a stock for one of a different color but no unsporting features is totally fine.

It is worth noting that thumbhole stocks are not considered unsporting for 922r, which is why Saigas can be imported with the dragunov style stock (like mine in my signature).

CSACANNONEER
08-28-2009, 1:35 PM
No, it is when you add any "unsporting feature" to the rifle, not any modification at all. A pistol grip, forward grip, 11+ round mag, and a number of other features are considered unsporting. While swapping out a stock for one of a different color but no unsporting features is totally fine.

It is worth noting that thumbhole stocks are not considered unsporting for 922r, which is why Saigas can be imported with the dragunov style stock (like mine in my signature).

He speaks the truth! Only the addition of "unsporting features" take you to the land of 922(r).

SJgunguy24
08-28-2009, 1:44 PM
He speaks the truth! Only the addition of "unsporting features" take you to the land of 922(r).

What kind of SKS? If it's classified as C&R then any modifications, if imported, can take you into 922r.

Hot Brass
08-28-2009, 6:52 PM
OK, I read the 922(r). Is it that you can replace 10 parts and be legal? I want to install the Tapco stock I will only replace 2 parts. The stock and hand guard. Tapco says it is a drop in replacement. Any comments?

I would like to add a mount for a small scope/red dot on the forend. Is this still incompliance?

Hot Brass
08-28-2009, 6:54 PM
What kind of SKS? If it's classified as C&R then any modifications, if imported, can take you into 922r.

My SKS was made in the 1950`s. Do I have to worry about 922r when replacing the stock with a Tapco unit? I don`t know.

Quiet
08-28-2009, 8:29 PM
My SKS was made in the 1950`s. Do I have to worry about 922r when replacing the stock with a Tapco unit? I don`t know.

Yes.

SJgunguy24
08-28-2009, 9:15 PM
OK, I read the 922(r). Is it that you can replace 10 parts and be legal? I want to install the Tapco stock I will only replace 2 parts. The stock and hand guard. Tapco says it is a drop in replacement. Any comments?

I would like to add a mount for a small scope/red dot on the forend. Is this still incompliance?
The addition of optics doesn't matter when it comes to 922r. If you click on the link on my previous post, there is a check list that will let you know if your in compliance with 922r.
The magic number is 10 O.E.(original equipment) components that are allowed under 922r. It sounds like you have a Russian SKS. The parts count is 14, so you would need to replace 4 parts to be in compliance.

To be honest, if you do have a Russian SKS, leave it alone. It's worth more with out any modifications.
If you put optics on the rifle, go with thiswww.scoutscopes.com/ no permenent mods need to be done. If you want an SKS to bubba get a Yugo 59/66.

reidnez
08-29-2009, 3:35 AM
The addition of optics doesn't matter when it comes to 922r. If you click on the link on my previous post, there is a check list that will let you know if your in compliance with 922r.
The magic number is 10 O.E.(original equipment) components that are allowed under 922r. It sounds like you have a Russian SKS. The parts count is 14, so you would need to replace 4 parts to be in compliance.

To be honest, if you do have a Russian SKS, leave it alone. It's worth more with out any modifications.
If you put optics on the rifle, go with thiswww.scoutscopes.com/ no permenent mods need to be done. If you want an SKS to bubba get a Yugo 59/66.

/\/\/\ What he said. You comply with 922(r) by deleting foreign parts, not adding U.S.-made ones (of course, you'll have to add U.S.-made parts for the rifle to function.) The calculators are a really simple way to go about it.

You should also be aware that if your weapon is a C&R, any major modification that puts it outside of its original configuration, will cause it to lose its C&R status if you ever decide to sell it. You can still sell it, but it will have to be DROS'd through a dealer like any modern longarm. This is reversible, however.

Spearo
08-29-2009, 6:09 AM
922r is completely stupid.

What are the chances you are gonna get your SKS inspected by a FED anyway?

SJgunguy24
08-29-2009, 6:48 AM

Never assume my good man, you get popped for anything I mean anything and that could be it. How many cops are on this board? Not saying a Calguns LEO will bust you but the info is out there. If they find that gun that still needs 1 part to be in compliance what do you have then?

Federal firearms violation, manditory sentence and some dickhead DA will get a head line in the paper for being "Tough on gun crime".
Parts are easy to get, don't mess around, play by the rules.
Are the laws stupid? Yes
Do the laws make sense? No.
But the thing that separates us from the bad guys is honor.

Juggernaut_S12
08-29-2009, 6:55 AM
an easy to do checklist

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

a generic (Non SKS) checklist..

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

CSACANNONEER
08-29-2009, 7:10 AM

Let's go one step further, 922(r) does not make it illegal to possess, buy or sell any gun! It just makes it a crime to manufacture one with more than 10 imported parts. So, if you did not personally do the modifications, you are not committing any crime and owning your rifle is not a crime.

Gator Monroe
08-29-2009, 7:22 AM

Tell them (survivors) that Gator wants back ../:(

Stamatos
08-29-2009, 9:35 AM
Tell them (survivors) that Gator wants back ../:(

LOL, will do Gator!

motorhead
08-29-2009, 11:39 AM
also bear in mind that no law allows for "compliance checks". the only way this would come to light is if your weapon is confiscated and disassembled.

Alaric
08-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Hypothetically, would adding a removable bipod to an all-original yugo sks then trigger 922r? It wouldn't be replacing anything, just adding a feature that could have conceivably been used in the original configuration.

reidnez
08-29-2009, 1:42 PM
Hypothetically, would adding a removable bipod to an all-original yugo sks then trigger 922r? It wouldn't be replacing anything, just adding a feature that could have conceivably been used in the original configuration.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rFeatures

"There is a large amount of vagueness in 922(r) around bipods. By "military-style bipods", ATF means integral bipods. Harris-style or clamp on bipods are not covered by this prohibition. ATF is referring to, for instance, the wide "military forearm" for the H&K 91 / G3 platform, which includes an integrated bipod. "

According to that site, you are fine. Anything you attach is, by definition, not integral.

CSACANNONEER
08-29-2009, 3:06 PM
also bear in mind that no law allows for "compliance checks". the only way this would come to light is if your weapon is confiscated and disassembled.

So what? I'll say it again, possession, buying, selling, trading, shooting, etc. of a long gun which violates 922(r) is not illegal! It is only illegal to manufacture a "non-sporting" long gun with more than 10 foreign made parts. The ONLY way the feds could inspect for compliance is when it is being "manufactured". BTW, I'm not a lawyer and this is only my opinion. Please, do not take it as legal advice. As far as repairing a 922(r) compliant gun with enough foriegn made parts to bring the total parts count to over 11, I would not recommend it. But, if a someone else does it to your gun, niether you nor your gun are "illegal".

Hot Brass
08-29-2009, 8:59 PM
All I want is a different stock.

SJgunguy24
08-29-2009, 10:16 PM
www.murraysguns.com/ sells and tunes fire control groups. That mod alone will give you 3 USA parts towards 922r.

All I want is a different stock.

Buy your stock, call Ben Murray and send him your trigger group. That mod alone will make any SKS shoot way better than the creepy, crapy trigger pull you get from the factory. The trigger mod is 3 parts, and the Tapco stock is 2 parts. That will get you to a count of 9 parts. Seriously though, I highly recomend Ben trigger mods. Also you might want to get his stailess firing pin+spring kit. I had one of my SKS's go FA mag dump at a public range. The floating firing pin on the later models is the only thing I don't really like. They had it right the first time.