PDA

View Full Version : wildfire: angeles range still open?

outersquare
08-27-2009, 11:25 PM
i see in the news there is a fire in the angeles national forest

is angeles shooting range still open? Sometimes they close it because of fire..

Fate
08-27-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm sure it's open. We're not really anywhere near the La Canada fire.

drbob
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
It's definitely open; I shot there today.

outersquare
08-27-2009, 11:40 PM
ok thanks guys

Fate
08-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Air quality really sucks over here though. Wasn't bad yesterday at all. Today, I wouldn't very spend long outside. Thin film of ash everywhere and the air almost looks foggy. Burns throat and smells like you're huffing a campfire.

ojisan
08-28-2009, 12:30 PM
We were there yesterday for a few hours in the afternoon.
I woke up this morning with a sore throat.
The air here is thick and full of ash this morning.
I'd skip shooting and stay indoors today.

Fate
08-28-2009, 9:45 PM
Oji...you still there or are you evacuated now? I saw flames near the top of Lowell avenue about an hour ago looking from the 210/Hansen Dam area.

lomalinda
08-29-2009, 11:02 PM
As of three this afternoon, the CHP had the road blocked off and were turning people away.

I saw one of the ROs heading out of the place, too. Everyone was being "evaucated" according to the authorities.

Call before going to avoid the same fate as I had today.

CSACANNONEER
08-30-2009, 12:09 AM
As of three this afternoon, the CHP had the road blocked off and were turning people away.

I saw one of the ROs heading out of the place, too. Everyone was being "evaucated" according to the authorities.

Call before going to avoid the same fate as I had today.

Wow, you must have got there pretty late. Tourtisethunder and I were close to the last two customer vehicles out of there and that was close to 2pm, I think.

Mail Clerk
08-31-2009, 8:05 AM
Until the fires is over I'd stay away. Let's hope the news media doesn't blame the gun ranges and the shooters for starting it.

Mail Clerk

Black_Talon
08-31-2009, 5:56 PM
Might be a while till Angeles can open. USFS today closed a huge area of the ANF until the Station Fire is fully contained.

http://inciweb.org/incident/article/9350/

At this afternoon's 5PM news conference, one of the Head Cheeses said that the "expected containment date" has slipped from 9-8-09 to 9-15-09.

Fate
09-01-2009, 12:22 PM
At about midnight last night, fireglow on the horizon prompted me to make a drive up to the top of Kagel Canyon to see where it actually was. Osborne/Little T canyon was closed right past the wimpy bridge/polo club so I couldn't get up there.

Looked like fire was still on east side of Little Tujunga, but roughly parallel with ASR. While most of the heavy fuel burned last year, I hope they are able to keep the fire away from the range.

Today is murky brown in the air. Blech.

ojisan
09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
It has stopped snowing ash here late this morning but now new backfires are being set locally.
The air is yuck, more ash coming from the backfires.
I'm about one mile from the fires, no evacuations here, but closer to the hills there have been many.
Watching the fire yesterday afternoon, in a small canyon nearby, there was a loud boom, a huge fireball and very black smoke for the next few minutes.
My guess is a car or truck gas tank let go.
Let's just hope for everyone's safety, particularly the firefighters and LE right in the middle of it all.

For now, stay inside and clean your guns!

Black_Talon
09-01-2009, 5:50 PM
On today's daily 5PM news conference, the head lady of the Angeles National Forest said that they have closed the entire ANF from I-5 to I-15 "until further notice" due to the fire danger.

During this same press conference, she was asked if they had considered keeping it closed throughout the remainder of the Santa Ana Wind season (Oct/Nov, I assume). Her answer was that they talk about it every day and are seriously considering it.

So I assume this means no Angeles, Burro, WEGC or Lytle Creek for the near future at least?

wildcard
09-01-2009, 6:20 PM
So I assume this means no Angeles, Burro, WEGC or Lytle Creek for the near future at least?

Actually.. the WEGC is east of the I-15 I believe..

dg29
09-01-2009, 6:26 PM
Actually.. the WEGC is east of the I-15 I believe..

Nope, it's west of the I-15.

socomIInato
09-01-2009, 8:10 PM
next option:gene:if you can handle the heat

RELOAD243
09-01-2009, 9:10 PM
On today's daily 5PM news conference, the head lady of the Angeles National Forest said that they have closed the entire ANF from I-5 to I-15 "until further notice" due to the fire danger.

During this same press conference, she was asked if they had considered keeping it closed throughout the remainder of the Santa Ana Wind season (Oct/Nov, I assume). Her answer was that they talk about it every day and are seriously considering it.

Lytle Creek is not in the ANF, San Bernadino NF but they may close also

oneGhostRider
09-02-2009, 1:58 PM
i think that a special mention and enormous amounts of respect and admiration should go out to the various firefighters risking their lives to fight this brutal fire-battle!

thankfully their vigorous and dedicated efforts at beating this nemesis is working and they're gaining ground on containment!!!

cheers and many lifted beers/drinks with toasts of your safety and an expeditious end to these crazy wildfires!!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aZyLDuclQcSw

ojisan
09-02-2009, 2:33 PM

We may need to fight to get ASR and Burro re-opened.
While I appreciate the fire hazards, the USFS / ANF Staff seem to making a concentrated effort to close most of the ANF for any use over the last several years. The fire hazard closures are just an excuse.
The USFS seems mostly interested in selling "Adventure Passes" as a revenue generator, and crowding outdoor users into a few small areas where it is easy to control them and collect fees.
Three years ago, they closed the Rowher Flat OHV area to use due to "fire hazard". (Some of you may know this area better as Texas Canyon, where back-in-the-day shooting used to be allowed there before the USFS got involved).
One year later, the big fires came and burned through the whole area, not a OHV user fault.
Well, now that it is burned, it should reopen, right?
Wrong! The area was closed for a full year until "review" on Nov 11, 2008 to allow "scrub brush recovery".
Nov 11, 2008 rolls around, I am ready to go off roading in my old favorite place, but wait, not enough rain has fallen so the area has not "recovered" enough.
USFS has continued the closure until Nov 11 2009, when another "review" will occur.
Their concern is the "status of the recovery" and "the danger that loose dirt and rocks pose to the public". WTF? This riding area is and always has been nothing but loose dirt and rocks, that's why the OHV people get to use it as it is nearly impossible to damage.
What do you think the chances are of it opening in Nov 09?
I say "zero".
It is not just the OHV area that is closed, even before the current fires the whole ANF has had restricted access due to fire hazard, including all the hills surrounding ASR.
This includes no access for equestrians, hunters in deer season, roads are closed etc. (But the hang glider guys have access above Pacoima Dam, they have keys to the locked gates, so is there a fire hazard or is there not? Or is payola involved, a private group has access to public lands closed to the public?)
I know this is a little bit of a rant, but guys, we must watch carefully here to make sure our access to public lands, for whatever use, is not denied for years to come.

BamBam-31
09-02-2009, 4:58 PM
So where are all those guys whining about ASR's ROs, again? Now we might not even have that. :rolleyes:

Scratch705
09-02-2009, 5:17 PM
why would those that dislike the ROs at ASR be to blame or bring them up. the fire did not start at the ranges. still TBD what started the fire. but it was off angeles crest highway according to news reports today. if anything blame smokers that throw their butts out. since the flames started near a roadway that is a more likely ignition source.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/09/authorities-establish-crime-scene-near-ignition-point-for-station-fire.html

BamBam-31
09-02-2009, 5:44 PM
Not blaming them for the fires. If you've read any of the ASR whine threads, you'll see that I've said repeatedly that ASR should be appreciated for what it is, that like that our shooting ranges can disappear. Poof. Perspective, sir, perspective.

Scratch705
09-02-2009, 5:48 PM
ok, then i can see that view.

sry just that your tone in those threads made me read your post as a "damn the whiners" type of tone... heh

but yes, CA seems to love to have any excuse to close down outdoor ranges. and worst is closing down public lands to shooting that we pay for with our tax dollars, but leaving it open for other uses.....

(Cleveland national forest comes to mind)

Electric Factory
09-02-2009, 6:07 PM
Checking in to see if anyone has a recent ASR update, will it be open tomorrow, SAT etc .

BamBam-31
09-02-2009, 6:10 PM
ok, then i can see that view.

sry just that your tone in those threads made me read your post as a "damn the whiners" type of tone... heh

but yes, CA seems to love to have any excuse to close down outdoor ranges. and worst is closing down public lands to shooting that we pay for with our tax dollars, but leaving it open for other uses.....

(Cleveland national forest comes to mind)

Did you ever shoot at SGVGC? That's what I mean.

Black_Talon
09-02-2009, 6:21 PM
Checking in to see if anyone has a recent ASR update, will it be open tomorrow, SAT etc .

I talked by phone to the lady in the ASR range shack around noon today and she said everything was fine, they were up there sweeping up ash, getting ready to reopen tomorrow, barring anything dire happening between now and tomorrow.

But on the other hand, the head-cheese ANF lady stated again today, during the 5PM news conference, that the entire southern portion of the ANF, from I-5 to I-15 will remain closed "until further notice", and certainly through the Labor Day weekend. I don't exactly know how that effect ASR access though. I suppose we'll see tomorrow morning.

Scratch705
09-02-2009, 6:40 PM
Did you ever shoot at SGVGC? That's what I mean.

no, didn't get into firearm ownership until just this year....

just could never afford it until now.... but damn i wished i had gotten into it earlier... all those "cheap" (at least by today's pricing) deals on ammo/guns..... :(

in fact the only real outdoor range i've been to has been burro... and that was only back in july.

BamBam-31
09-02-2009, 8:19 PM
We used to shoot there for years. Great place--nice pistol/rifle side w/ clearly marked lanes and distances, shotgun range on the other side, even had a nifty little burger joint. Got closed down because locals didn't want a gun range "tarnishing" their city's re-vamped image. SGVGC was open for something like half a century, IINM. Closed, just like that. Like the indoor Santa Anita gun range in Monrovia (the one where Mel Gibson shot the happy face target). Gone forever, and you never hear about new ranges opening up, either.

Ranges in CA are more endangered than the condor. So when I'm a little short w/ whiners who lack the proper perspective when it comes to the ranges we have left, that's why. ASR is a fantastic resource for SoCal shooters, and it should not be taken for granted. The last fires came within yards of burning it all down. Some buildings are still charred, as are many of the trees in the parking lot. And then you have thin-skinned guys complaining about over-zealous RO's.....:banghead:

RELOAD243
09-03-2009, 8:34 AM
I talked by phone to the lady in the ASR range shack around noon today and she said everything was fine, they were up there sweeping up ash, getting ready to reopen tomorrow, barring anything dire happening between now and tomorrow.

But on the other hand, the head-cheese ANF lady stated again today, during the 5PM news conference, that the entire southern portion of the ANF, from I-5 to I-15 will remain closed "until further notice", and certainly through the Labor Day weekend. I don't exactly know how that effect ASR access though. I suppose we'll see tomorrow morning.

Talked to manager today, range open as i type, will stay open unless fire moves back south.

Black Majik
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
If anyone goes up there today until Sunday, wanna report back how the air quality is at AR?

Thanks

Black_Talon
09-03-2009, 5:12 PM
My buddy went up there this morning. Here's his after-action report:

I went shooting at the Angeles Range today. It was great to be back. Very few people there.

The Osborne off ramp from the 210 is closed as is Osborne where it runs past the Lakeview Terrace Recreation Area. You MUST exit the 210 at the exit 1 1/2 miles South of the Osborne exit. Either that or come up Foothill from the South.

Tanner68
09-03-2009, 8:47 PM
I was there this afternoon. You gotta get off the 210 at the next exit, Wheatfield. First thing I noticed when I got out of the car, is I did NOT smell smoke. It was the same air as the rest of town. When we left at 4pm, there were only two other shooters in the whole place. There were only a handful of shooters there when we arrived at 2pm.

Fate
09-03-2009, 9:07 PM
I was there this afternoon. You gotta get off the 210 at the next exit, Wheatfield. First thing I noticed when I got out of the car, is I did NOT smell smoke. It was the same air as the rest of town. When we left at 4pm, there were only two other shooters in the whole place. There were only a handful of shooters there when we arrived at 2pm.

Exit is Wheatland, not Wheatfield ;)

Black_Talon
09-04-2009, 5:29 PM
Drove up to Angeles this AM around 8:30, road was blocked by LASD. They said it was closed, but that I could go down to the command post and talk to someone about it. At the command post they told me that the road was going to be "hard closed" all day due to increased fire activity up the canyon.

After I got back home I called ASR and they answered the phone, saying that they were open and the several employees had got in this morning before the LASD closed the road. Said they were supposed to be open but had been getting calls like mine saying the road was closed.

Moral to this story: CALL FIRST before going out. Apparently the road closure situation is very fluid.

AngelesRanges
09-05-2009, 8:55 AM
As of now the range is open, normal hours, unless the fire moves south...

Spdjunkie
09-05-2009, 9:57 AM
As of now the range is open, normal hours, unless the fire moves south... Hope everyone is safe & doing well/better, Thank you for posting for us ASR shooters.

Have a great one,
FTK

mydangpleeze
09-10-2009, 7:46 PM
is it still business as usual? haven't paid much attention.

AlliedArmory
09-11-2009, 12:19 AM
i think im going to try and go out there on Tuesday. Will report back

mydangpleeze
09-11-2009, 3:15 PM
FYI...just got back from angeles today. business as usual. decent number of shooters on the rifle line, but still plenty of benches available.