PDA

View Full Version : Proof of address

Dilettante
08-02-2005, 8:56 PM
Yep, it's one of those situations...I've been subletting, don't have a lease or utility bills, and to top it off, my car died months ago--so I don't have a current car registration.
The good news is, I used my parents' address, which is (sort of) where I've been staying this summer, and appears on my driver's license.

Who can I go to (hopefully by the weekend!) to get verification of address? I'm registered to vote at that address, and most recently paid taxes from that address too. Could DMV still be of use somehow?

leo@csuhayward.edu
08-02-2005, 9:28 PM
just about everyone uses the DL info.

granted, some credit report info companies might dig a little further.

what's this for?

Dilettante
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
Oh, sorry. It's for buying a handgun.

Yute
08-03-2005, 2:10 PM
Wow, I am in almost the exact same situation. Except I also have CA university bills and I don't know if they would count.

Turbinator
08-03-2005, 4:26 PM
Hey, how's Davis nowadays? I was there in the mid 1990's but haven't really been back since. Anything good going on?

Turby

08-03-2005, 5:03 PM
Nope I don't think bills from a CA university would work. It goes say any documentation from a government entity but it also says no financial docmentation.

I do think that a voter registration card (current) would work. Don't take my word for that though, but it seems to fit the criteria.

I had a similar problem (everything was in my wife's name) until we got our new car registration that includes my name as well. Good luck - this can be hard to get around because it seems that some dealers might accept something, and then others won't.

I do know that you can definitely use cable TV, gas, electric, or land line phone bills. Residential lease or rental agreement OR notarized affadavit that you live in a person's home with no monetary requirement. Car registration will also work. Those seem to be the only foolproof ones. Good luck!

Yute
08-03-2005, 8:27 PM
Thanks for the reply! Checked and CA university bills don't cut it. Another discussion over here:
http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/751609466/m/30010176621

icormba
08-04-2005, 7:50 PM
Don't your DL and proof of residence need to match?
That's what I was told when I had this issue... Traders, Sportsman's Supply, & National Shooting Club(gone now) would not sell too me. I've since moved and have had all my ducks in a row for a couple years now... so no more issues.

Trader Jack
08-04-2005, 8:54 PM
Originally posted by icormba:
That's what I was told when I had this issue... Traders, Sportsman's Supply, & National Shooting Club(gone now) would not sell too me. I've since moved and have had all my ducks in a row for a couple years now... so no more issues.

NO, your drivers license and proof of residency DO NOT have to match. The California DMV does not issue a new DL when you move. They will give you a little brown card for an address change. HOWEVER if that card is not stamped by the DMV it is not considered a valid change of address. On the other hand if DMV has stamped the card, then it is considered a valid new address.

C.G.
08-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Trader Jack:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by icormba:

NO, your drivers license and proof of residency DO NOT have to match. The California DMV does not issue a new DL when you move. They will give you a little brown card for an address change. HOWEVER if that card is not stamped by the DMV it is not considered a valid change of address. On the other hand if DMV has stamped the card, then it is considered a valid new address. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somebody forgot to tell my FFL, too. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif