PDA

View Full Version : Gun shows may still come back to Alameda Co.

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
10-03-2005, 6:42 AM
From SFGate: (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/01/BAG02F0UTU1.DTL)
Alameda County's ban on possessing guns at the county fairgrounds may be unconstitutional, a federal judge has ruled in a lawsuit challenging what effectively is a ban on gun shows.

Having guns at gun shows can be constitutionally protected "expressive conduct," a form of free speech under the First Amendment, U.S. District Judge Martin Jenkins said in an order Tuesday, rejecting the county's motion to dismiss a lawsuit filed by gun-show promoters Russell and Sallie Nordyke.

According to county officials, the 1999 ordinance was a public-safety measure enacted one year after 16 people were hurt at a Fourth of July shooting and melee at the fairgrounds in Pleasanton.

RRangel
10-03-2005, 7:36 AM
I wish the Federal Judge would tell that to LA County.

bwiese
10-03-2005, 8:40 AM
LA county may fight separately even if Alameda fully spanked by Fed judge (though this is likely to be tied up in appeals for ages since the counties can just spend taxpayers' monies for this BS).

The sad thing is, while Iof course support the Nordykes, the TS Gun Shows seem to be a bit lame, esp if the San Jose show is considered at all representative.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

icormba
10-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:
the TS Gun Shows seem to be a bit lame, esp if the San Jose show is considered at all representative.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

2nd that!!

Mike
10-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Since you may not take any firearm home with you on the day of purchase, and since private party transfers are illegal in CA, (real PPT's, that is), and other than beef jerky and ammo, what is really the point to having a gun show in CA anymore? I went to one in Lancaster, at their new fairgrounds, and it seemed a joke and waste of time....yeah, that "surplussed" AF 20" upper with shot out (basically smooth) barrel for $800 was a real steal http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

dave3006
10-03-2005, 12:21 PM
I really do not like going to gunshows any more. Too much beef jerky and airsoft guns. It makes me sad to remember back to the days of the Pomona gunshows when we still had our freedom.

Even on the items that you actually want to buy, the internet has better prices. The internet has made them obsolete unless you just need some excuse to get out of the house.

bwiese
10-03-2005, 2:49 PM
Yes except for some C&R handguns that have beat Calif 'safe gun' laws, most gun shows are just that - "shows", and not a place to buy.

I did buy my Rem 700LTR at Cow Palace show in 2002 because it was there and didn't have to be ordered. (Traders & others didn't have LTRs in stock and I was hot & bothered at the time.

I do go to better gunshows for Miwall ammo and the odd accesory.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

RRangel
10-03-2005, 6:35 PM
"This is a simple case about the right of the public to protect public space," Winnie said in a 2004 interview.

That's one Richard Winnie representing Alameda County. Apparently barring gun shows protects public space.

Oh brother.

leo@csuhayward.edu
10-05-2005, 7:27 PM
Originally posted by bwiese:

I do go to better gunshows for Miwall ammo and the odd accesory.

+1 on miwall...