PDA

View Full Version : Oroville clay pits vs. Spenceville

WhoDares
08-27-2009, 2:57 PM
I've been out to the Oroville range once. It was ok. Never been to Spencville, though. I live in Chico, and most of the time I'd be going shooting on Mondays.
Anyone up this way frequent both? Which is better/has better 'elements' (class of people)? Or is it a case of 'six-of-one, half dozen of another'?

Rickles
08-27-2009, 3:48 PM
I've been to Oroville many times. I live in Chico also. Where is Spenceville?

WhoDares
08-28-2009, 1:27 PM
Try this link....it's east of Beale AFB. I haven't been there yet.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=spenceville+shooting+range&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=34.808514,56.337891&ie=UTF8&ll=39.474365,-121.390686&spn=1.007034,2.801514&t=h&z=9

You can zoom in on this location.

SirNik
08-28-2009, 1:46 PM
Been to both. The clay pits has a larger firing line with the tables more spaced out, which is nice because I never felt crowed and never felt like I was crowding anyone. The clay pits has one of those state park style latrines, so the ladies can stay and shoot all day. lol

Spencville has been crowded the time I've been there, but i've heard good stories of it being less crowded, but the clay pits are laid out nice. Spencville does have a tree. so at least 2 tables get some shade. The clay pits have no shade.

I live in Rancho Cordova, and I like free long range shooting, and they seem to be equally long drives, but I have friends in Chico, so looks like I'll be returning to the clay pits.

bohoki
08-28-2009, 2:12 PM
Been to both. The clay pits has a larger firing line with the tables more spaced out, which is nice because I never felt crowed and never felt like I was crowding anyone. The clay pits has one of those state park style latrines, so the ladies can stay and shoot all day. lol

Spencville has been crowded the time I've been there, but i've heard good stories of it being less crowded, but the clay pits are laid out nice. Spencville does have a tree. so at least 2 tables get some shade. The clay pits have no shade.

I live in Rancho Cordova, and I like free long range shooting, and they seem to be equally long drives, but I have friends in Chico, so looks like I'll be returning to the clay pits.

yea at the oroville range it is impossible to be hit by the spent brass of your neighbor even if they have a g3 angled at 45 degrees also you can drive down to the far targets if you can get the toothless to cease fire

WhoDares
08-28-2009, 5:51 PM
Thanks for the opinions...looks like the closer of the two (clay pits) is my first choice...

BIGCHRIS
09-03-2009, 9:52 PM
Where are the clay pits?

asheron2
09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Larkin Rd, Oroville, CA‎

Long Gun
09-05-2009, 3:17 AM
I went to Spenceville for years, and moved a county away. When I discovered Oroville, I quit going to Spenceville. Both are DFG run, but Oroville is more pleasant. It is much easier to get to. Paved roads until you drive down into the range at Oroville. There are creeps at either one, but Oroville has presented much less scary meetings with weirdos. It is a little less off the beaten path.

Just don't get mad at the little Asian family who cleans brass up when the guy down the table row leaves...

Oh yeah, the bathroom is nice for those days when you can't wait. Bring a quad or a motorcycle and the SVRA is next door. The afterbay is across the road for boating. It is Disneyland for outdoors activities. When they built Lake Oroville, they sure had the sportsman in mind.

Norcalkid
09-06-2009, 3:44 PM
Been to the clay pits many times. It is OK on the weekdays. I won’t go there on the weekends anymore. Just too many morons out there. And sometimes they will set up between the tables. I just feel its safer and more fun on the weekdays.