PDA

View Full Version : AR Rifle Build Entering California Question

Phil3
08-27-2009, 9:49 AM
I am not sure how the following should work, but am confident people here will have the answer.

I purchased a Noveske N6 AR-10 lower receiver, in CA, and went through the background check as required. An out-of-state custom rifle builder will build a complete AR-10 using that N6 lower, and also install the bullet button, and include a 10 round mag, thereby making it CA legal.

Does the builder still have to send the rifle to an FFL? I ask because the firearm part (the Noveske N6 receiver), has already gone through a background check with me as the owner.

- Phil

mds2004
08-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I *believe* that if you mail the gun to an FFL, he can mail it back straight to you.

I remember CCR Refinishing saying that if you mail it to him for refinishing, he could mail it back to you because he has an FFL.

fuegoslow
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I concur, he can mail it back to you in CA legal configuration. It's like taking it to a local gunsmith to do the work after you've purchased the lower. Then picking it up after it's done. Only thing is, the transportation to and from the gunsmith is through a delivery service.

Barney Gumble
08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
I *believe* that if you mail the gun to an FFL, he can mail it back straight to you.

I remember CCR Refinishing saying that if you mail it to him for refinishing, he could mail it back to you because he has an FFL.

I believe that's correct. You've previously completed the DROS and 4473 and your 10-day wait, so the firearm has already been legally transferred to you. In that case you don't have to go through a dealer to receive your own firearm.

A couple of side notes on shipping. Make sure your builder insures the package for the full value. Second, ask him what he writes in the return address section of the shipping label. I prefer a discreet "from" address that says nothing about firearms, gunsmithing, etc. A long rectangular box from "Bob Smith" is nothing special to anyone, but a long rectangular box from "Bob's Gunsmithing" might as well have a big sticker saying "VALUABLE FIREARM INSIDE!"