PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry article - SignonSanDeigo.com

jmlivingston
08-27-2009, 7:24 AM
Front page of SignonSanDeigo.com has an article on Open Carry (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/27/escondido-man-wants-people-take-unloaded-guns-week/?northcounty&zIndex=156043) this morning.

Reaster said he has not decided on the locations of the weekly rallies, the first of which is scheduled for Tuesday, but he said he will notify the Escondido police five minutes before the rallies.

locosway
08-27-2009, 7:29 AM
I can't believe how much press UOC is getting in SD. Are people in other cities/counties not practicing UOC, or is the media in those places just not covering it?

dirtnap
08-27-2009, 8:41 AM
Figures "el grupo" would try and make this a race issue.

Untamed1972
08-27-2009, 8:42 AM
"People who want to carry unloaded guns must be the recorded owner, police said."

Is this correct?

strangerdude
08-27-2009, 8:46 AM
I didn't know you have to be the registred owner or the gun to OC it, sounds like fud to me.

taloft
08-27-2009, 8:53 AM
It would take too long to explain all the incorrrect information in that article. Massive FUD fest.

MudCamper
08-27-2009, 8:54 AM
I didn't know you have to be the registred owner or the gun to OC it, sounds like fud to me.

Is this correct?

No it is not correct.

And even the very first PD memo, the Sacramento memo, got this right. Let me quote it:

Scenario: a person is walking down the street with an unloaded pistol carried openly on their belt. There is a loaded magazine for the pistol located next to the pistol in a magazine pouch. You run the pistol through the automated firearm system and there is no dealer record of sale. ** NOT a violation of PC 12025 or PC 12031.

jmlivingston
08-27-2009, 9:21 AM
I can't believe how much press UOC is getting in SD. Are people in other cities/counties not practicing UOC, or is the media in those places just not covering it?

I believe it's due to a small but aggressive group of UOC supporters. They've managed to run a few events that gained some publicity, which in turn resulted in some low-level media attention (the Reader article and an AM talk-radio spot). Add to that the recent OC event in Arizona with Obama whic hwas well-publicized, and that's enough to get this picked up by the local MSM.

I'll give the UOC group this - they're slowly getting the attention on the subject which was their goal. Unfortunately it's not necessarily positive news for the movement, and it's resulting in FUD being disseminated by the media.

The CGF guys have it right, these UOC supporters need to lay low. I won't rehash their arguement for doing so, it's been done enough times here.

John

MudCamper
08-27-2009, 9:54 AM
The CGF guys have it right, these UOC supporters need to lay low. I won't rehash their arguement for doing so, it's been done enough times here.

The problem is, the OCers who frequent this board and OCDO are not the ones this article is about. I dare say, OCers who are CalGunners and OCDO members tend to know the laws and have their **** together. If they(we) all stop OCing, that leaves only unknown fringe groups out their representing us. Is that a good thing? Not IMO.

dirtnap
08-27-2009, 9:58 AM
The CGF guys have it right, these UOC supporters need to lay low.
John

:rolleyes:

Untamed1972
08-27-2009, 9:59 AM
I just wish more of their focus in these rallies and movements was to point out how ridiculous UOC is. I dont want to fight for the right to UOC......UOC should be fighting for the right LOC.

dirtnap
08-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I just wish more of their focus in these rallies and movements was to point out how ridiculous UOC is. I dont want to fight for the right to UOC......UOC should be fighting for the right LOC.

It is, I don't think many of us are fighting for UOC...we already have that. I know I am out there for LOC and CC.

pullnshoot25
08-27-2009, 10:51 AM
This guy is from my hometown and I requested that he stand down until at least Sept 11th for these events and not to get the media involved. There is a strong suspicion that SDUT and NCTimes is out to do a hack job. SDMM guys have honored my requests thus far and for that I thank them.

He made his own org based on the Reader article.

He posts on OCDO as Gerald Reaster.

I am not associated with him other than trying to guide him in the right direction.

Yes, there has been an insane amount of curiosity being generated about OC/UOC/etc since the AR-15 guy in Arizona. For those that may have not seen it, these are my blog stats for that time period. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=214170), as well as the stats posted for californiaopencarry.org.

Decoligny
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
I just sent the following to the Author.

I just read your report on Open Carry in Escondido and found a blatant error. Specifically the reference to not being able to go to parks or recreation areas. Your statement below is wrong concerning parks and recreation areas.

Quote: "Besides not carrying loaded guns, people participating in the rallies also cannot go within 1,000 feet of a K-12 school, go to parks and recreational areas, or inside a city or state building."

I am assuming that you got your information from a quick read of a portion of CA Penal Code 626.95. If you actually read the whole section, it states that you cannot carry in "parks or recreation areas" ONLY IF you are violating PC 417, PC 12025, or PC 12031.

So, you CAN legally carry a firearm in parks and recreation areas as long as you are not brandishing the firearm (displaying it in a rude, angry, or threatening manner), concealing the firearm, and as long as the firearm is not loaded.

626.95. (a) Any person who is in violation of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a), or subdivision (b), of Section 417 , or Section 12025 or 12031, upon the grounds of or within a playground, or a public or private youth center during hours in which the facility is open for business, classes, or school-related programs, or at any time when minors are using the facility, knowing that he or she is on or within those grounds, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for one, two, or three years, or in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) State and local authorities are encouraged to cause signs to be posted around playgrounds and youth centers giving warning of prohibition of the possession of firearms upon the grounds of or within playgrounds or youth centers.
(c) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Playground" means any park or recreational area specifically designed to be used by children that has play equipment installed, including public grounds designed for athletic activities such as baseball, football, soccer, or basketball, or any similar facility located on public or private school grounds, or on city or county parks.
(2) "Youth center" means any public or private facility that is used to host recreational or social activities for minors while minors are present.
(d) It is the Legislature's intent that only an actual conviction of a felony of one of the offenses specified in this section would subject the person to firearms disabilities under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 (P.L. 90-618; 18 U.S.C. Sec. 921).

Please submit a correction/retraction of the portion of your article indicated above.

pullnshoot25
08-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I just sent the following to the Author.

I just read your report on Open Carry in Escondido and found a blatant error. Specifically the reference to not being able to go to parks or recreation areas. Your statement below is wrong concerning parks and recreation areas.

Quote: "Besides not carrying loaded guns, people participating in the rallies also cannot go within 1,000 feet of a K-12 school, go to parks and recreational areas, or inside a city or state building."

I am assuming that you got your information from a quick read of a portion of CA Penal Code 626.95. If you actually read the whole section, it states that you cannot carry in "parks or recreation areas" ONLY IF you are violating PC 417, PC 12025, or PC 12031.

So, you CAN legally carry a firearm in parks and recreation areas as long as you are not brandishing the firearm (displaying it in a rude, angry, or threatening manner), concealing the firearm, and as long as the firearm is not loaded.

626.95. (a) Any person who is in violation of paragraph (2) of subdivision (a), or subdivision (b), of Section 417 , or Section 12025 or 12031, upon the grounds of or within a playground, or a public or private youth center during hours in which the facility is open for business, classes, or school-related programs, or at any time when minors are using the facility, knowing that he or she is on or within those grounds, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for one, two, or three years, or in a county jail not exceeding one year.
(b) State and local authorities are encouraged to cause signs to be posted around playgrounds and youth centers giving warning of prohibition of the possession of firearms upon the grounds of or within playgrounds or youth centers.
(c) For purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Playground" means any park or recreational area specifically designed to be used by children that has play equipment installed, including public grounds designed for athletic activities such as baseball, football, soccer, or basketball, or any similar facility located on public or private school grounds, or on city or county parks.
(2) "Youth center" means any public or private facility that is used to host recreational or social activities for minors while minors are present.
(d) It is the Legislature's intent that only an actual conviction of a felony of one of the offenses specified in this section would subject the person to firearms disabilities under the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 (P.L. 90-618; 18 U.S.C. Sec. 921).

Please submit a correction/retraction of the portion of your article indicated above.

That reporter is definitely quoting an illegal local ordinance on the city parks statement. I wanted to carry my levergun to the 4th of July and the cops freaked (hilarious conversation) and found a code that said I couldn't, even though I called before and was told that carrying a firearm in a city park was OK. Stupid.

pullnshoot25
08-27-2009, 11:05 AM

This guy seems to have sought out media contacts.

wildhawker
08-27-2009, 11:34 AM
San Diego guys, we need to get these folks under the tent ASAP, or at least in the camp. Nate, you're doing a great job tempering the discussion and activities- how can we build a bridge and work on getting everyone cohesively working together? Let's talk at the TH tomorrow.

I sincerely hope our own egos won't be what undermines RKBA progress.

gun toting monkeyboy
08-27-2009, 11:58 AM
The main problem is that there are so many little groups doing this. And they are multiplying as there is more coverage in the media. Most have little or nothing to do with CGF or even the organized open carry movement. As much as I would like to get them all under one banner, and all on the same page with regards to our objectives, that is VERY unlikely to happen. It is like trying herd cats. Obstinate, touchy, armed cats with a "you-ain't-the-boss-of-me" attitude. Rather than trying to get them in line, we would be better off making sure that they have all of the correct, up to date information. And explain why we are holding off on UOC events for now. But that is probably the best that we will be able to do.

-Mb

wildhawker
08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I think, whatever the outcome, we can do better than we are right now.

The main problem is that there are so many little groups doing this. And they are multiplying as there is more coverage in the media. Most have little or nothing to do with CGF or even the organized open carry movement. As much as I would like to get them all under one banner, and all on the same page with regards to our objectives, that is VERY unlikely to happen. It is like trying herd cats. Obstinate, touchy, armed cats with a "you-ain't-the-boss-of-me" attitude. Rather than trying to get them in line, we would be better off making sure that they have all of the correct, up to date information. And explain why we are holding off on UOC events for now. But that is probably the best that we will be able to do.

-Mb

locosway
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Back to the article... There were a lot of comments and I made every attempt to fumble through their system and try and correct peoples misinformation.

I did happen to get one person to admit they were wrong, which is shocking. However!!! It just goes to show you that most people are simply not informed on the subject, and when properly given the real facts of the situation will likely be for CCW reform and the right for more people to be able to bear arms.

"I was with the understanding that any and all U.S. citizens have the opportunity/right to apply and go through the process of obtaining a CCW permit if so desired? I guess I misunderstood...thanks for educating me I do appreciate it!"

Maestro Pistolero
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I think pairing UOC events with trash pick-up, Women's groups, is brilliant, and helps take the general public's attention away from their pure hoplophobia, and reduces the tendency to falsely perceive the events as an attempt at intimidation.

Casual_Shooter
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
"I was with the understanding that any and all U.S. citizens have the opportunity/right to apply and go through the process of obtaining a CCW permit if so desired? I guess I misunderstood...thanks for educating me I do appreciate it!"

They don't?

locosway
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM
They have the right to try, but I showed her that you won't get it if you live in any populated CA city.

I don't have control over her response, but it was at least acknowledging the fact that I was right.

gun toting monkeyboy
08-27-2009, 1:07 PM
I am all for a trash clean up UOC event. Or some other service-oriented project that shows us actually doing something for the community. A graffiti clean up or something like that would also be great. And contacting some of the other groups to participate would help us get some of them more involved in our efforts. Not just the other UOC groups, but Pink Pistols, and some of the other non-white-male dominated groups, so that it doesn't seem like an armed old fat white guy convention. And for the record, I resemble that last remark. We need to show some more diversity at these events so that the MSM can't paint us with their regular gun stereotype brush. Having women along helps, but we need to get more wives, daughters and girlfriends to come along. Not just the token 2-3.

-Mb

wow, looking back at this. Sorry for threadjacking.

:kest::threadjacked:

Casual_Shooter
08-27-2009, 1:11 PM
They have the right to try, but I showed her that you won't get it if you live in any populated CA city.

I don't have control over her response, but it was at least acknowledging the fact that I was right.

So she went a misunderstanding to uneducated. :confused: There's no helping her.

KylaGWolf
08-27-2009, 5:41 PM
Is this correct?

Nope and that wasn't the only error the officer quoted. Another was that any misdemeanor offense made uoc illegal.

KylaGWolf
08-27-2009, 5:43 PM
I believe it's due to a small but aggressive group of UOC supporters. They've managed to run a few events that gained some publicity, which in turn resulted in some low-level media attention (the Reader article and an AM talk-radio spot). Add to that the recent OC event in Arizona with Obama whic hwas well-publicized, and that's enough to get this picked up by the local MSM.

I'll give the UOC group this - they're slowly getting the attention on the subject which was their goal. Unfortunately it's not necessarily positive news for the movement, and it's resulting in FUD being disseminated by the media.

John

Actually the guy they interviewed has had nothing to do with the prior UOC events. He started his group AFTER the Reader article.

KylaGWolf
08-27-2009, 5:49 PM
The problem is, the OCers who frequent this board and OCDO are not the ones this article is about. I dare say, OCers who are CalGunners and OCDO members tend to know the laws and have their **** together. If they(we) all stop OCing, that leaves only unknown fringe groups out their representing us. Is that a good thing? Not IMO.

Exactly. As I have said in another post the guy in this article has had nothing to do with prior events that were held down here in SD. Now yes I stopped UOCing because I was asked to and understand the reasons for it. Thing is I don't just carry because I can but because it is the closest thing I have to defending myself if I have to. While yes I could whack a bad guy with my cane more than likely it wouldn't come close to stopping a bad guy. At least I stand a fighting chance if I am armed. And yes I am female to boot. I also do my research before I go out with my gun to make sure that I am not going to be in violation of 626.9. I have also said that if I stood a snowballs chance of getting a CCW I would do so. But since the sheriff down here seems to be very anti CCW it won't happen.

wildhawker
08-27-2009, 5:50 PM
Actually, he does have something to do with prior UOC events (and the associated publicity).

He started his group AFTER the Reader article.

This is the direct result of those with a desire to be a hero and/or martyr finding a voice and means to do so.

Actually the guy they interviewed has had nothing to do with the prior UOC events. He started his group AFTER the Reader article.

KylaGWolf
08-27-2009, 5:51 PM

Who says we don't fight for the right of LOC if we UOC? Given the choice I would much rather LOC over UOC any day.

KylaGWolf
08-27-2009, 5:53 PM
San Diego guys, we need to get these folks under the tent ASAP, or at least in the camp. Nate, you're doing a great job tempering the discussion and activities- how can we build a bridge and work on getting everyone cohesively working together? Let's talk at the TH tomorrow.

I sincerely hope our own egos won't be what undermines RKBA progress.

Wildhawker this is something I have been wanting to talk to you about too.

KylaGWolf
08-27-2009, 5:56 PM
I think pairing UOC events with trash pick-up, Women's groups, is brilliant, and helps take the general public's attention away from their pure hoplophobia, and reduces the tendency to falsely perceive the events as an attempt at intimidation.

Hey I am a female that goes to these events. But I can say we are way outnumbered by the male contingency. Problem is it seems that in general when it comes to gun ownership we are outnumbered it seems. But I am all for more females getting involved.

wildhawker
08-27-2009, 5:58 PM
Wildhawker this is something I have been wanting to talk to you about too.

Are you coming to the San Diego town hall? I'd love to do so if you'll be there and have the time.

Mulay El Raisuli
08-28-2009, 9:47 AM

The UOC events ARE the fight for LOC.

The Raisuli

P.S. N8, when you are planning your next event, please let me know.

dirtnap
08-28-2009, 9:59 AM
P.S. N8, when you are planning your next event, please let me know.

This. :D

stormy_clothing
08-28-2009, 4:57 PM
OMG so someone wants to protest and he's being called out for not getting in line with the movement, lol.

Some poster said he sought out media contacts, hmm perhaps to get a favorable biased or neutral reporting, sounds pretty smart to fight media fire with media fire.

what do I know, someday never sounds fun too. :rolleyes:

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-28-2009, 5:15 PM
The UOC events ARE the fight for LOC.

Tactical victories have no direct bearing on strategic ones.

Mulay El Raisuli
08-29-2009, 7:42 AM
Tactical victories have no direct bearing on strategic ones.

Hum, yeah, they do.

The Raisuli

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-29-2009, 7:58 AM
Hum, yeah, they do.

The Raisuli

I'll call you Pyrrhus from now one.

hoffmang
08-29-2009, 11:18 AM
What boggles my mind is that the LOC crowd hasn't read the Penal Code and thought through what being licensed pursuant to 12050 really allows. I don't care to spell it out as I want to make sure we win in Sykes. 12050 permits are much broader than those who can't read the Penal Code understand...

Can we try not to frighten the courts about to confirm our rights please?

-Gene

pullnshoot25
08-29-2009, 11:58 AM
What boggles my mind is that the LOC crowd hasn't read the Penal Code and thought through what being licensed pursuant to 12050 really allows. I don't care to spell it out as I want to make sure we win in Sykes. 12050 permits are much broader than those who can't read the Penal Code understand...

-Gene

I am trying...

CitaDeL
08-29-2009, 11:58 AM

-Gene

I think many on both sides of LOC have read the penal code- and come to two completely different conclusions. On one hand you have the pure rights camp, who believe that LOC is the right and on the other you have those who view LTC as an acceptable dispensation of the second amendment.

You're right Gene, there are some important advantages to LTC- a grab bag of exemptions and a legislative gap big enough to ... ah well- I wont spill the beans. But there is a difference of an opinion on what constitutes a right. I think many arent sure that parchement and rice paper share any equivalency in canonizing our right to be armed.

Im still willing to see where "Sykes" takes things.

Decoligny
08-29-2009, 4:06 PM
I think many on both sides of LOC have read the penal code- and come to two completely different conclusions. On one hand you have the pure rights camp, who believe that LOC is the right and on the other you have those who view LTC as an acceptable dispensation of the second amendment.

You're right Gene, there are some important advantages to LTC- a grab bag of exemptions and a legislative gap big enough to ... ah well- I wont spill the beans. But there is a difference of an opinion on what constitutes a right. I think many aren't sure that parchment and rice paper share any equivalency in canonizing our right to be armed.

I'm still willing to see where "Sykes" takes things.

Exactly. Alaska and Vermont both have Concealed Carry as a RIGHT, not a privilege. If you need to apply for a license to do something, and need to pay the Government to do something, it isn't a right.

hoffmang
08-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Exactly. Alaska and Vermont both have Concealed Carry as a RIGHT, not a privilege. If you need to apply for a license to do something, and need to pay the Government to do something, it isn't a right.

Isn't it telling that only 2 states of 50 are that way?

It's kind of like how only 4 states have handgun rosters and only one state doesn't require unanimous juries.

-Gene

Arteel
08-30-2009, 2:00 AM
You can't OC if you've been convicted with a misdemeanor?

Mulay El Raisuli
08-30-2009, 7:26 AM
I'll call you Pyrrhus from now one.

Funny! Can a tactical win result in a strategic loss? Sure. But that wasn't your comment was it? But did not Stalingrad lead to Kursk? Did not Kursk lead to Poland? Did not Poland lead to Berlin& the (strategic) goal of the end of the NAZI regime? Would not that strategic goal have been left unmet w/o those tactical successes?

The Raisuli

wildhawker
08-30-2009, 9:10 AM
We'd all be better off if we took a step back from this issue.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-30-2009, 6:37 PM
Funny! Can a tactical win result in a strategic loss? Sure. But that wasn't your comment was it? But did not Stalingrad lead to Kursk? Did not Kursk lead to Poland? Did not Poland lead to Berlin& the (strategic) goal of the end of the NAZI regime? Would not that strategic goal have been left unmet w/o those tactical successes?

The Raisuli

There is no strategic victory to be gained by UOC, just as there was no reason to try to get to the Volga. You keep on thinking that though.

We'd all be better off if we took a step back from this issue.

Not 'all of us' are trying to push for something which serves no strategic purpose.

wildhawker
08-30-2009, 6:55 PM
However, we're all faced with the fact that we can either help them succeed or push them farther away. The only choice we have is to make this as positive as possible- this may mean mitigating loss in some instances and creating net gain in others. There is no way to get this back into the bottle. The sooner we accept this the sooner we can establish channels for dialogue and begin working towards something other than a train wreck.

CitaDeL
08-30-2009, 7:25 PM
However, we're all faced with the fact that we can either help them succeed or push them farther away. The only choice we have is to make this as positive as possible- this may mean mitigating loss in some instances and creating net gain in others. There is no way to get this back into the bottle. The sooner we accept this the sooner we can establish channels for dialogue and begin working towards something other than a train wreck.

Agreed. We must be unified under the second amendment banner. It is Calguns- not CalOLL's or Cal "CCW", CalC+R's or CalHuntingRifles. This is THE big tent even if you dont support one or all of those aspects of keep and bear.

It will do us no good to decry the fact that UOC has been let loose or debate the apparent absense of strategic benefit, since those who are not affiliated with Calguns, OpenCarry.org or any other gun organization are now practicing it outside our sphere of influence.

So there should be some effort put into how we will build the dialogue and maintain that all forms of keep and bear are acceptable in spite of legislative, media or internal perceptions. If one thinks it is impossible, it is only because they are reluctant to try.

Kid Stanislaus
08-30-2009, 8:08 PM
We need to show some more diversity at these events so that the MSM can't paint us with their regular gun stereotype brush. Having women along helps, but we need to get more wives, daughters and girlfriends to come along.

It'd also be nice to have some blacks and browns in the group!

Mulay El Raisuli
08-31-2009, 6:57 AM
Agreed. We must be unified under the second amendment banner. It is Calguns- not CalOLL's or Cal "CCW", CalC+R's or CalHuntingRifles. This is THE big tent even if you dont support one or all of those aspects of keep and bear.

It will do us no good to decry the fact that UOC has been let loose or debate the apparent absense of strategic benefit, since those who are not affiliated with Calguns, OpenCarry.org or any other gun organization are now practicing it outside our sphere of influence.

So there should be some effort put into how we will build the dialogue and maintain that all forms of keep and bear are acceptable in spite of legislative, media or internal perceptions. If one thinks it is impossible, it is only because they are reluctant to try.

Thank you!

The Raisuli

bomb_on_bus
08-31-2009, 4:39 PM
So lemme get this right Senor Torres, if I open carry I am anti-immigrant?

That line of thinking can be construed into anything for example if I am pro-immigrant I am pro-drug. If I am pro-drug then I am pro-gang. If I am pro-gang then I am pro-violence. If I am pro-violence I am anti-government.

So with that derailed train of thought I would much rather be a person who open carries then someone who is pro-immigrant:rolleyes:

bomb_on_bus
08-31-2009, 4:42 PM
It'd also be nice to have some blacks and browns in the group!

My wife is half Apache Indian does that help?

Oh I bet I could get her to play the Indian Reservation card if the liberals show up and watch the chaos ensue. And boy does my wife love to aruge........ it's in her genes lol.

jmlivingston
09-01-2009, 8:02 PM
And so they did it - SignOnSanDiego.com has a follow-up story in the lead position of their website this evening. Apparently the group went to a local mall today, and the article lists other events they are planning on attending:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/01/bn01guns-open-carry/?northcounty

locosway
09-01-2009, 8:14 PM
And so they did it - SignOnSanDiego.com has a follow-up story in the lead position of their website this evening. Apparently the group went to a local mall today, and the article lists other events they are planning on attending:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/sep/01/bn01guns-open-carry/?northcounty

This article is a far cry from the first one. It's really slanted to the left. Well, I guess most of us saw it coming, now it's just a matter of time. It's a race between 2A incorporation and the city of SD passing a no carry ordinance.

CitaDeL
09-01-2009, 8:29 PM
This article is a far cry from the first one. It's really slanted to the left. Well, I guess most of us saw it coming, now it's just a matter of time. It's a race between 2A incorporation and the city of SD passing a no carry ordinance.

Im sure they will consider it, however there is limited pre-emption in the California Constition that prevents a carry ban. This is the California Legislature's purview. If we were to see greater restrictions, it would be through them, not city or county government.

locosway
09-01-2009, 8:35 PM
Im sure they will consider it, however there is limited pre-emption in the California Constition that prevents a carry ban. This is the California Legislature's purview. If we were to see greater restrictions, it would be through them, not city or county government.

If SD wants to ban carry, they will. Haven't you noticed that our state makes laws that actually against the constitution and law?

KylaGWolf
09-01-2009, 8:43 PM
Well first off it would be city of Escondido not San Diego. Second of all they could try to pass something like that but it wouldn't be long before it was challenged. Yes the article was definitely anti-gun slanted. Then again this is something I would expect from a paper that threw its support to Obama(ination) without a second thought. I also bet any of the good for them comments they got during the interview were out and out ignored too.

CitaDeL
09-01-2009, 8:48 PM
If SD wants to ban carry, they will. Haven't you noticed that our state makes laws that actually against the constitution and law?

Anyone remember San Francisco's Prop H (http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/sanfran_gunbanwrit.pdf)?

locosway
09-01-2009, 8:49 PM
Well first off it would be city of Escondido not San Diego. Second of all they could try to pass something like that but it wouldn't be long before it was challenged. Yes the article was definitely anti-gun slanted. Then again this is something I would expect from a paper that threw its support to Obama(ination) without a second thought. I also bet any of the good for them comments they got during the interview were out and out ignored too.

Escondido then, it's just semantics.

Media has a huge influence on the general population. The general population has a huge influence on elected officials. Elected officials have a huge influence on gun owners.

See what I'm getting at?

jnojr
09-02-2009, 9:01 AM
On the whole idea of a UOC "stand down"... What do we do when the Ninth Circus en banc reverses the holding of 2A being an individual right? Never OC again? Give up? Continue to "stand down" until an Obama SCOTUS upholds?

IMO, the more of these demonstrations there are, the better. The news will get tired of breathlessly "reporting" on them. Open carry will become less and less noteworthy.

And as for a city passing an ordinance... you don't suppose that will be posted here, and we won't fill up the Council chambers?

If a city was going to pass an ordinance, they'd have done it. Today, I doubt they want to touch the issue. Too much going on nationally.

Maestro Pistolero
09-02-2009, 9:31 AM
The news will get tired of breathlessly "reporting" on them.

Very true. How many stories can they run where nothing really happens? Trash pickups and picnics make for very boring news after a while, armed or not. If desensitizing the public is part of the objective, eventually it will stop getting reported. That may be evidence that the public has been somewhat desensitized.

Decoligny
09-02-2009, 9:39 AM
On the whole idea of a UOC "stand down"... What do we do when the Ninth Circus en banc reverses the holding of 2A being an individual right? Never OC again? Give up? Continue to "stand down" until an Obama SCOTUS upholds?

The 9th doesn't have the power to reverse the "2A being an individual right" as that decision was made by SCOTUS in Heller.

The 9th may reverse Nordyke and rule that the 2A is not incorporated and doesn't apply to State and Local Govt regulations.

IMO, the more of these demonstrations there are, the better. The news will get tired of breathlessly "reporting" on them. Open carry will become less and less noteworthy.

And as for a city passing an ordinance... you don't suppose that will be posted here, and we won't fill up the Council chambers?

If a city was going to pass an ordinance, they'd have done it. Today, I doubt they want to touch the issue. Too much going on nationally.

reply in blue.

GuyW
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM

Escondido will not pass such a ban.

hoffmang
09-02-2009, 5:03 PM
What do we do when the Ninth Circus en banc reverses the holding of 2A being an individual right? Never OC again? Give up?

Counting to five, you simply need to wait for June of 2010 when SCOTUS Incorporates. Odds are that there will be an opinion in Nordyke before that.

-Gene

The Nomadd
09-02-2009, 7:08 PM
Counting to five, you simply need to wait for June of 2010 when SCOTUS Incorporates. Odds are that there will be an opinion in Nordyke before that.

-Gene

Either of those days cannot get here soon enough.

dantodd
09-02-2009, 7:14 PM
Very true. How many stories can they run where nothing really happens? Trash pickups and picnics make for very boring news after a while, armed or not. If desensitizing the public is part of the objective, eventually it will stop getting reported. That may be evidence that the public has been somewhat desensitized.

Maybe topless UOC car washes to get the media re-interested?

wildhawker
09-02-2009, 7:48 PM
Maybe topless UOC car washes to get the media re-interested?

Me topless or in a bikini is NOT the positive press we're looking for. :eek:

hoffmang
09-02-2009, 8:08 PM
Me topless or in a bikini is NOT the positive press we're looking for. :eek:

I will refrain from the obvious counter point... :43:

-Gene