PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Upper?

sao
08-27-2009, 1:38 AM
So I have my lower finished and am looking to get my upper. I plan on getting a Noveske “N4 Light Recce Low-Profile Upper 16”

16.1" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, 1 in 7" twist, 5.56mm
--Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining,
(appx. 2 times as thick as an M4 or M16)
--Extended Feed Ramps
--Mil Spec Phosphate finish
--MP HP tested barrel
--Mid-Length gas system, no M203 notch
--Shot peened and MP tested bolt
--Properly staked carrier key
--Auto carrier
--Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard
--11" free floated handguard w/ 1913 rails
--Low-profile gas block pinned to barrel
--Flip-up front and rear sights
--Flash suppressor options, (see drop box)
--4lb. 15oz.

So what’s the good, bad, and ugly on this upper? Is there a better upper for the price? What do you like / not like? Thanks for the pennies ;)

DanHuuN
08-27-2009, 1:47 AM
Great upper.....

http://riflegear.com/p-467-noveske-n4-16-light-recce-low-profile-upper.aspx

IN STOCK

andalusi
08-27-2009, 2:14 AM
Sorry, meant to start a new thread instead of reply!

Arteel
08-27-2009, 2:47 AM
Most dislike the SWS rail, or prefer others.

Acorn556
08-27-2009, 6:28 AM
I thin asking $1k for that upper is excessive. I think $800 might still be a little much since the rifle brand new is $1500. I've watched one guy try and sell it in California for quite a while on a couple different forums and I think he wa originally asking $1600 for it.

Ivanhoe
08-27-2009, 7:34 AM
Most dislike the SWS rail, or prefer others.

just curious why they don't care for the sws rail?

Barney Gumble
08-27-2009, 10:41 AM
It's a nice upper. If you bought it you would not be disappointed. Regarding the rail, it's a little heavy, and a lot of people think it's ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course.

Personally I would go with a BCM middy with a rail pre-installed, like this one:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Daniel-Defense-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20ddl12.htm

Even after adding a BCG, charging handle and a set of MBUS sights you'll be ahead by about $200.

I have owned both and decided to sell the Noveske and keep the BCM. But you can't make a bad decision either way.

asgalindez
08-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I've got that upper (N4 LoPro Recce) and am very happy with it. I use it mainly for shooting between 100-500yds with 75gr BTHP.

If you plan on shooting it with 55gr FMJ at more than 100yds, I'd suggest an upper with a 1x9 or 1x8 twist. My upper doesn't group 55gr well at over 100yds.

Unit74
08-27-2009, 10:52 AM
You could almost go GPU for that price....

Arteel
08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
People just prefer other rails over the SWS. I usually never hear why. I myself love my N4 Lo-pro as is.

just curious why they don't care for the sws rail?

jpopfan
08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Same here, I'm very happy with my N4 Low Profile Carbine Upper. If you use rail panels, like the Magpul XTMs, most rails look the same anyway.

Not sure how legit the weight concern is. SWS quotes their midlength 9" rail as weighing 12 oz. Daniel Defense's 9" Lite rail is 11 oz. Granted, the rails SWS makes for Noveske are slightly different, but I'd imagine the weight to be similar. Maybe DD's barrel nut is lighter? Dunno.

My original plan was to do as Barney Gumble said, go with a BCM middy with DD Lite rail, but after you add Troy battle sights, the price difference is almost a wash. If you go with Magpul MBUS sights, you save a little bit of money, but you're still not getting a cold hammer forged barrel like you do with the Noveske. Plus the VLTOR MUR is $100 more expensive than a typical A4 upper. So the value proposition is pretty much even.

So you have arguments both for and against. But rest assured, it's a solid upper, which is why I went with one.

El Gato
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I have the 14 in with the pinned flash hider on my bushmaster lower reg. AW...
love it...
the wife shot it at Thunder ranch for a week in June...
Shot it Monday at 5 Dogs.. hit the ram at 500 meters after a few sighters... have the lw upper with plastic handguards and s streamlight light mount at 1130 on the front of the handguard... the gun shoots really well and light is good for a self defense type rifle....
had a problem with it at thunder ranch..got the bolt mixed up with my rock river upper... called them at 5 min to 5... Sherry called me back 30 min or so later with the answer to my question so that I could reassemble the gun with the right bcg... nice people - good upper

sao
08-27-2009, 8:13 PM
I actually really like the look of the rails :p But I have read the complaints about them and it has not swayed me to much. Thanks all for the input!

pdr1269
08-27-2009, 9:00 PM
Go with Noveske! You'll be happy you did. As for the rails the ones Noveske uses are specially made for him. It has heat sinks built in to it close to the chamber. This might be the difference in weight between the two (Daniel Defense Lite). I have two Noveske uppers and they are both top notch! I love my SPR, it is super accurate! Almost tried Larue but stuck with Noveske.

Mute
08-28-2009, 5:45 PM
I have the carbine lo pro version and I've been pretty happy so far. No complaints about the SWS rails. The BCM is a good option, but you're not saving a whole lot if you sell the Troy sights that come with the Noveske upper and buy a set of MBUS (assuming cost is a concern).

Jesse996r
08-28-2009, 6:25 PM
very nice upper, but the bad part is the price.

sao
08-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Couldn't agree more, why don't they give this stuff away! Ive already saved up for it, "buy once, cry once"