PDA

View Full Version : FUD??

JayRuff
08-27-2009, 12:06 AM
''Federal Law prohibits the sale of shotguns that are transferred with a pistol-grip only to persons under 21 years old ''

http://www.turners.com/engage/buyingguns.html

seems new to me, it's bull right?

EOD Guy
08-27-2009, 5:15 AM
''Federal Law prohibits the sale of shotguns that are transferred with a pistol-grip only to persons under 21 years old ''

http://www.turners.com/engage/buyingguns.html

seems new to me, it's bull right?

No, it's true.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-27-2009, 5:58 AM
No, it's true.

Uh, what?

dantodd
08-27-2009, 6:01 AM
to be a rifle or shotgun (thanks ME) a firearm must have a butt stock. A "cruiser" shotgun is a long arm but not a rifle or shotgun.

Only rifles and shotguns may be sold to persons under 21.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-27-2009, 6:06 AM
Uh, what?

Federal law prohibits FFL's from transfering firearms to people under the age of 21. There is an exception for rifles and shotguns. Those can be transfered to people who are at least 18 years old. But a "shotgun" that has pistol grip only and has never had a buttstock is not considered a "shotgun" under Federal law. They are just considered long guns and can only be transfered to people who are at least 21 years old. This is the same reason stripped lowers for rifles can't be transfered to people under the age of 21.

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-27-2009, 6:45 AM
Federal law prohibits FFL's from transfering firearms to people under the age of 21. There is an exception for rifles and shotguns. Those can be transfered to people who are at least 18 years old. But a "shotgun" that has pistol grip only and has never had a buttstock is not considered a "shotgun" under Federal law. They are just considered long guns and can only be transfered to people who are at least 21 years old. This is the same reason stripped lowers for rifles can't be transfered to people under the age of 21.

This is a recent development, correct?

bwiese
08-27-2009, 8:54 AM
This is a recent development, correct?

Nope, it's been in place since GCA '68.

True 'rifles' and 'shotguns' are exempt for sales to 18-to-21 yr olds.

It's probably been honored more in the breach since then.

It was the subject of ATF Newsletters in fall 1998/early 1999 [I could be off by a year].

Dr. Peter Venkman
08-27-2009, 9:12 AM
Nope, it's been in place since GCA '68.

True 'rifles' and 'shotguns' are exempt for sales to 18-to-21 yr olds.

It's probably been honored more in the breach since then.

It was the subject of ATF Newsletters in fall 1998/early 1999 [I could be off by a year].

Copy that. I thought it was a recent development given that the issue of selling stripped lowers to people under 21 became apparent with the big rush around november. Thanks Bill.

JayRuff
08-27-2009, 4:56 PM
oh silly me, I read it wrong, I read ''Federal Law prohibits the sale of shotguns that are transferred with a pistol-grip, only to persons under 21 years old '' I thought the pistol grip part included the butstock so it's ''pistol-grip only, to persons under 21 years old ''

Liberty1
08-27-2009, 5:11 PM
Ha thats funny. But on the issue, they can buy one with a stock and then install the PG only handle later.