PDA

View Full Version : Love that 03, but hate the stock!

Army GI
08-26-2009, 9:20 PM
I currently own an M1903 Mk.1. Out of all the rifles I have, I think I like the M1903 the most for it's heritage and Americana. But I'll be damned if I'm going to shoot more than 50 rounds out of that thing in one sitting!

The stock is too short, I get cracked in the jaw when I fire it, the sights are HORRIBLE, and the buttplate is too small so it really digs into you when you shoot it. In fact, I think firing the Mosin-Nagant is easier on the shoulder compared to the M1903 straight stock. At least the Mosin has a nice big buttplate to spread all that recoil over a larger area. And it has a really nice length of pull.

Any good ideas on how I can extend the LOP of the Springfield? I've been thinking about adding a limbsaver, but not because of the recoil. The LOP is just so off for me. I also really want better sights, but no good sights exists for the M1903 in the same way as the M1 Garand or AR15. I've heard of this: http://www.ray-vin.com/frsights.htm

But does that provide a new sight apeture, or is it just a mechanism to make the sight adjustments more accurate by making them click? I need better pictures of someone that owns one of these...I'm sad to say that I can see the sights on my Mosin more clearly than through my Springfield.

Advice, comments, etc welcomed thank you :rant:

-Army GI

Crusader
08-26-2009, 10:30 PM
Try trading someone for an 1903A3. In my opinion, the 03A3 is the epitome of the bolt action rifle. I'm sure someone out there has a couple 03A3s but not an 03.

smle-man
08-27-2009, 9:18 AM
I currently own an M1903 Mk.1. Out of all the rifles I have, I think I like the M1903 the most for it's heritage and Americana. But I'll be damned if I'm going to shoot more than 50 rounds out of that thing in one sitting!

The stock is too short, I get cracked in the jaw when I fire it, the sights are HORRIBLE, and the buttplate is too small so it really digs into you when you shoot it. In fact, I think firing the Mosin-Nagant is easier on the shoulder compared to the M1903 straight stock. At least the Mosin has a nice big buttplate to spread all that recoil over a larger area. And it has a really nice length of pull.

Any good ideas on how I can extend the LOP of the Springfield? I've been thinking about adding a limbsaver, but not because of the recoil. The LOP is just so off for me. I also really want better sights, but no good sights exists for the M1903 in the same way as the M1 Garand or AR15. I've heard of this: http://www.ray-vin.com/frsights.htm

But does that provide a new sight apeture, or is it just a mechanism to make the sight adjustments more accurate by making them click? I need better pictures of someone that owns one of these...I'm sad to say that I can see the sights on my Mosin more clearly than through my Springfield.

Advice, comments, etc welcomed thank you :rant:

-Army GI

The stock is short because of the requirement that the rifle be a universal arm; it replaced the Krag rifle and carbine. Shortening the barrel and stock got it to the package length that the cavalry would accept. There is an easy fix and a classy fix for this issue. Easy: slip on recoil pad. More classy: reproduction A1 stock sold by Dupage traders. The A1 stock has a 'pistol grip' design and is a bit longer to suit bigger folks.

Regarding sights,without modifying the rifle and unless you install original or reproduction USMC type front and rear sights you are pretty limited. Try using the notch instead of the peep on the standing leaf if the peep is giving you trouble. Don't use the battle sight (leaf folded) as this is a 300yd zero and hard to see anyway.

Comparing a MN to an 03 in a favorable way is heresy!

Army GI
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Wow, $150 for a new stock isn't bad. I think I'll try it out, thanks:)

Where can I find the USMC reproduction sights?

smle-man
08-27-2009, 6:36 PM
The USMC sights are the same as what you have now except the peep is larger and the front sight is taller so that the battle sight is set for 100 yds instead of 300 yds. I'm not sure where you get them but I know that they are around. Try on the CSP Jouster 1903 discussion forum, lots of 03 savvy guys there.

KrazyKevy
09-01-2009, 8:10 PM
You need one of these. Adds about an 1" as well. :) These are original...and not some funky recoil pad someone made up.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/images/catalog/932590.jpg

Army GI
09-01-2009, 8:19 PM
I've been looking all around for those, they all seem to be sold out ever since Obama took office.:(

But I will look for those.

socomIInato
09-01-2009, 10:22 PM
that reproduction micrometer sight adjuster would help alot in making fine adj. trying to loosen that little knob and keep your`e place is nearly impossible. going too have to get one of those for my a 03. folded down leaf worked ok for me. but i`m used too using those mauser sights. I put one of those front sight hoods on my 03 and found it made the sight picture much better. not to mention it protected that fragile front sight. would`nt changing front sight height through off leaf calibrations?