PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.6...

sfwdiy
08-26-2009, 8:14 PM
...I wanna install it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well their Grand Central implementation handles multi-threading of processes across cores. That plus the GPU utilization should make for some impressive speed increases once developers start making use of the technology.

I think I'll head over to my local Apple Store on the 28th and pick up a copy. For $29 I can't lose.

--B

Ronco
08-26-2009, 8:21 PM
...I wanna install it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how well their Grand Central implementation handles multi-threading of processes across cores. That plus the GPU utilization should make for some impressive speed increases once developers start making use of the technology.

I think I'll head over to my local Apple Store on the 28th and pick up a copy. For $29 I can't lose.

--B

Huh?

You seem to know a ton about Apple OS stuff or you are a realllly good faker ;)
Either way, I'm impressed. I think I'll buy it on your recommendation :D

sfwdiy
08-26-2009, 8:44 PM
Huh?

You seem to know a ton about Apple OS stuff or you are a realllly good faker ;)

I used to work for Apple. ;)

Grand Central is a technology that makes it easier for developers to optimize their programs to run computers with multi-core processors. It's difficult to write code that can adapt itself to the number of processor cores that the system has. Grand Central is a part of the OS that splits up tasks to the cores so the application doesn't have to handle it. 10.6 also uses a technology called OpenCL that allows the computer to use unused processing power in the graphics card when it's available. Pretty cool stuff.

--B

blackberg
08-26-2009, 9:24 PM
Im getting it for my personal macs, have to try to convince my boss at my day job to upgrade at least the server, have a 10.4 Xserve that is pretty much just routing right now.

-bb

sfwdiy
08-26-2009, 9:35 PM
Im getting it for my personal macs, have to try to convince my boss at my day job to upgrade at least the server, have a 10.4 Xserve that is pretty much just routing right now.

-bb

I found 10.4 Server to be pretty rock solid. The last deployment I did with it was for networked home folders that served about 15-20 users between 8 different workstations that were all heavily used throughout the day, plus heavily accessed AFP shares. Last time I checked, uptime was over 300 days without a hiccup.

What do you need to upgrade the server for? If it's a production machine, be careful. ;)

--B

artherd
08-27-2009, 12:23 AM
I will be going to it as well pending tests. Still have some non-intel macs though going to be rough putting them out to pasture :P

blackberg
08-27-2009, 1:51 AM
I only have one ppc mini left, everything else is intel, so thats staying on 10.5
the xserve, havent really have spent time on it, but it will not let users log in sometimes, or let me in with ARD, the other services will work fine though. Only way to make it work again is to restart it. So I can easily start from scratch and not loose much.

Ben, you get my email?
-bb

stormy_clothing
08-28-2009, 3:08 PM
The crazy thing is after installing it today it freed up 14 gb on my hard drive and I thought it was only going to free up 6. Either way it seems to a bit snappier even on my 08 macbook.

The weird thing is by holding down the mouse over the safari icon it no longer presents the option the open another window